Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Any other of you having this issue? My fuel filler door is strangely enough changing shape and basically flattened out, giving it the look like the door is not completely closed. This is followed by the door detaching itself from the plastic hinge.

I went to the local Alfa dealership, all they said (just the week before the holidays) they didn’t have any time for me left this year (2017) but should come back as they are aware of the problem but don’t know why it happens.

At the time I was there, they had 1 giulia and 1 stelvio standing side by side with this exact problem. Apparently Alfa still hasn’t got a permanent solution for it so for the time being only a basic exchange of the part... see pictures attached...
Thank for the feedback guys ! ;)
Tenbee

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
wow, I haven't heard of this.

Hi guys! Any other of you having this issue? My fuel filler door is strangely enough changing shape and basically flattened out, giving it the look like the door is not completely closed. This is followed by the door detaching itself from the plastic hinge.

I went to the local Alfa dealership, all they said (just the week before the holidays) they didn’t have any time for me left this year (2017) but should come back as they are aware of the problem but don’t know why it happens.

At the time I was there, they had 1 giulia and 1 stelvio standing side by side with this exact problem. Apparently Alfa still hasn’t got a permanent solution for it so for the time being only a basic exchange of the part... see pictures attached...
Tenbee

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
:eek that's not good. I was looking at the fuel door the other day and surprised I hadn't noticed the poor fit before.... Now I really have something to worry about

·
Registered
151 Posts
I looked at mine also and am freaking out a little. Is the door held on with screws or is it glued on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sharing the pics! I now also know how the hinge looks under that bent part (which is painted plastic). But do you know if it's glued or just "clicked" in because I don't see any screws on mine, neither on your pictures?

My reseller mechanic told me he thinks it has to do with temperature variation (since it is a flat plastic panel shaped under heat at the factory) from when it was painted (probably on a hot day in naples) and now getting the winter temperatures making the plastic contract thus back to original shape.

So not to sure as to replacing it under warranty and the problem coming back in the future or fixing it myself with a plan b?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am going to keep a close watch on mine as well, but only have 300 miles and 1 fill up. Now I think I know why the sales rep made such a big deal of how to open the access door. I can just see the dealer trying to point a finger at the owner for not properly opening the door - LOL. (taking 5 minutes on how to properly open the access door keeps the conversions about apple car play from coming up - sorry just had to say it).

·
Registered
250 Posts

Tenbee
Sorry off topic but I just looked closely at the pics, is that Misano Blue color? Its beautiful, almost looks purple..

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Asked the dealer about the fuel door issue here, the service manager said he's seen it happen already once or twice, they use a heat gun to soften the plastic and re-shape it and re-attach it, assuming of course the original door cover is salvageable. Either way he assured me it was definitely a warranty issue so if you have the issue don't stress too much, they will address it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah mine is like that too.

I actually noticed it the day after I picked it up. Not a major problem.. Just haven't had time to bring it in..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Common issue, plastic door. There’s a lock tab on the hinge, the door slides in and locks on it, if you look with a good light you can see it. I’ve taken them off and silicones to the hinge before, but really the door should be replaced, will take some time though as they come unpainted.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Let us know what, if any, revisions are made to the design please. The issue seems to be worse in cold temps, agree?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine looks like yours, Cambir. I had a loner a few days the week before last and it had a much worse looking cover. Apparently, it is a known issue at should be replaced (possibly...).

·
Read Only
849 Posts
Cold temperature ???
Perfect, my new one is under stress now, -25°C now and -30° last night.
Let's see what's happen
Obviously the color is different, **** !!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts