Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Latest fill up I got it down so it just turned to one bar "1/8", showing 60 miles to empty. It took 15.257 USG, so 1.6 USG (10%) left. The warning came on at about 70 miles to empty, well before the change to one bar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This time I kept driving. At 40 miles to empty it gave another warning chime and the "1/8" bar and the "E" lit up red. It took 15.893 USG, so 1.0 USG (6%) left. So there are two levels of warning: Yellow and Red! I like it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mine reports 40 miles to empty at 1/4 tank on the gauge when the light comes on, and takes 15.3 gallons on average to fill up from there.

will report back what the dealer says when I go there

·
Registered
33 Posts
Miles to empty will vary depending on the mpg you are getting at that moment. I was getting 24 mpg each of the past two fill ups. If your current mpg was lower, the distance to empty will be lower. Try driving until the gauge shows 1/8 next time, and then the subsequent time, drive until the red light comes on. My guess is you will not run out, but the fill up gallons may be different from my Stelvio. Don't try this unless you know where the gas stations are!

·
Registered
33 Posts
This time I drove a bit further. About ten miles past the second warning chime with the "1/8" bar and the "E" lit up red and showing 32 DTE, it took 16.046 USG (0.8 USG (5%) left). So maybe another ten miles before the pump gulps air.

·
Registered
534 Posts
What drive mode are people using for the highway? According to Alfa, the Advanced Efficiency drive mode enables the cylinder deactivation, curious as to what milage difference that gives.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm on my second fill-up with ~800 miles on the odometer. I'm averaging 20-21mpg on the trip computer on mostly highway driving. How come the Stelvio eats as much gas as my 3.6 V6 Macan Turbo I just replaced?

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
26.5 in mixed driving, 93 octane. I am a conservative driver mostly in A mode. I totally love how Stella purrs in regular driving but roars when you want her to. We are bonding well as the miles accumulate (3600), brakes wear in, ride relaxes a bit, and engine settles in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Cylinder deactivation is only on the V-6, not the I-4.
That would make sense but Alfa actually shows it under the i4 engine specs:

DYNAMIC delivers sharper throttle, brake and steering-wheel response for sporty on-road driving and a throatier exhaust note

NATURAL is a comfort setting for a perfect balance in daily driving

ADVANCED EFFICIENCY enables the cylinder deactivation to maximize energy savings and dynamic efficiency

But I just noticed that the exhaust note does not change on the i4 engine in Dynamic so you must be correct.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm on my second fill-up with ~800 miles on the odometer. I'm averaging 20-21mpg on the trip computer on mostly highway driving. How come the Stelvio eats as much gas as my 3.6 V6 Macan Turbo I just replaced?
Technical answer, because at the end of the day fuel economy is really the output of a set of complex formulas to calculate how much energy (fuel) it takes to accelerate a mass (the vehicle) to a given speed and travel a certain distance. The number of cylinders and displacement generally don't matter to the math much beyond the energy efficiency coefficients that factor into the formulas. You can have a 4cyl with 100 psi of boost making 1000hp get worse efficiency than a NA V8 making 200hp. :wink

simple answer, because you drive it just as fast as you did the Macan. :grin

That would make sense but Alfa actually shows it under the i4 engine specs:

DYNAMIC delivers sharper throttle, brake and steering-wheel response for sporty on-road driving and a throatier exhaust note

NATURAL is a comfort setting for a perfect balance in daily driving

ADVANCED EFFICIENCY enables the cylinder deactivation to maximize energy savings and dynamic efficiency

But I just noticed that the exhaust note does not change on the i4 engine in Dynamic so you must be correct.
I do hear a difference in engine note in Dynamic when I'm hard on the throttle around 3-5k RPM for sure, but I have heard the same sound in N as well, just have to coax the pedal a little more to get it to accelerate that hard. I believe it's nothing more than the difference in the throttle response and getting max power from the engine more rapidly in D while in N it is a little slower to ramp up, thus you get less a bit exhaust sound. I highly doubt there is anything changing with the actual exhaust system.

As for A, it's been a couple weeks since I had the dial there, but I would be surprised to learn that a 4cyl has deactivation.

It's my impression and belief that each step from D to N to A simply means progressively less aggressive throttle mapping, more retarded timing (less HP), and a more conservative shift point mapping on the transmission. Additionally I feel something change with the dampers (at least on the Ti Sport trim level) when in D, because rough roads are much less rough in N than they are in D, though I've done some controlled testing on the same stretch of road at different speeds, and I noticed the difference is less pronounced at lower speeds, which leads me to believe that it's only affecting high speed damping, and leaves the lower speed damping the same (speed of damper movement up and down in response to irregular road surface, not vehicle speed)

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
The Maserati Levante has a bypass gate in the exhaust that amps up when you choose the more aggressive drive mode. I'm curious to see if anyone has observed sound piped in through the sound system in Stelvio? I have not, at least in the base model.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I do hear a difference in engine note in Dynamic when I'm hard on the throttle around 3-5k RPM for sure, but I have heard the same sound in N as well, just have to coax the pedal a little more to get it to accelerate that hard. I believe it's nothing more than the difference in the throttle response and getting max power from the engine more rapidly in D while in N it is a little slower to ramp up, thus you get less a bit exhaust sound. I highly doubt there is anything changing with the actual exhaust system.

As for A, it's been a couple weeks since I had the dial there, but I would be surprised to learn that a 4cyl has deactivation.

It's my impression and belief that each step from D to N to A simply means progressively less aggressive throttle mapping, more retarded timing (less HP), and a more conservative shift point mapping on the transmission. Additionally I feel something change with the dampers (at least on the Ti Sport trim level) when in D, because rough roads are much less rough in N than they are in D, though I've done some controlled testing on the same stretch of road at different speeds, and I noticed the difference is less pronounced at lower speeds, which leads me to believe that it's only affecting high speed damping, and leaves the lower speed damping the same (speed of damper movement up and down in response to irregular road surface, not vehicle speed)
@SailDrive. I agree with your logic. Active exhaust systems are expensive, and if Alfa had one "D" would provide a real snarl.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's my impression and belief that each step from D to N to A simply means progressively less aggressive throttle mapping, more retarded timing (less HP), and a more conservative shift point mapping on the transmission.
I noticed more pronounced coasting/freewheeling in A when you are not on the gas. It feels like the engine is disengaged. Is there any of this in N as I don't notice any difference in rpm between the 2 modes when coasting.

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
Could be the shift points - longer to drop down to a lower gear. Generally there does seem to be more engine braking than other vehicles I've owned and it does affect pedal action a bit- for me part of bonding with Stella, getting to know each other intimately.

·
Registered
354 Posts
23.9 MPG - US Gallons - Avg Speed 54 MPH, over 560 road miles, mostly, between Greensboro and Charlotte, and Greensboro and Richmond (odometer now at 2500), and mostly using "A" driving mode, but as you can tell, with a Avg speed over three days of 54 MPH, there was some real driving going on - just talk to a North Carolina driver... Although I can't say much good regarding the high taxes in NC, the roads are pretty nice!

It is impossible for me to just put it in A and drive without using the paddles - I just cannot do it, and I blame all those people that do not seem to know how to get out of the left lane! IF THEY WOULD JUST PASS AND GET OVER!!! So when I was driving the first leg of my 560 miles Saturday morning to the Puma King's soccer tournament (I'm a referee), and I was averaging 24.9 over the first 50 miles, and trying really hard to pretend I was not driving a crossover race car, on a two lane part of I-85 south, it happened that one of those left lane drivers was just not going to get over, and at the first chance I got, I selected D and hit the paddles...

So, I did try to see what I am capable of coaxing out of my Stelvio for mileage, but it is just so much (insert list of expletives) fun to drive in D and D/Manual, that somebody else is going to have to be the upper end mileage champ! (I expect to soon be back to my 21.1 avg. over the first 2k miles that included part of the Blue Ridge Parkway - beer lovers, see Gallery/In the Mountains...)

Ciao,
Frank

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I noticed more pronounced coasting/freewheeling in A when you are not on the gas. It feels like the engine is disengaged. Is there any of this in N as I don't notice any difference in rpm between the 2 modes when coasting.
It's not the engine, it's the transmission programming here. If the transmission is left in a higher gear and the torque converter unlocked, or if it disengages somehow like it does at a stoplight (something which apparently confused the R&T people, they didn't understand this design aspect of the newer version of the ZF transmission), it's essentially like shifting a manual transmission car into neutral while coasting and taking your foot off the gas. When in N, and especially in D, the transmission will be left in a lower gear and the torque converter locked when coasting. This allows you to engine brake like a manual transmission.

Could be the shift points - longer to drop down to a lower gear. Generally there does seem to be more engine braking than other vehicles I've owned and it does affect pedal action a bit- for me part of bonding with Stella, getting to know each other intimately.
My morning commute to work takes me down a particular hill every day with a stoplight at the bottom, and with my Evoque every time about half way down the hill the transmission would shift to a higher gear, engine RPM would drop, vehicle speed would suddenly increase, and I would have to either start braking, or use the paddle shifter to downshift again to continue engine braking to control speed. With the Stelvio however it holds the lower gear so much more intuitively about what gear I want from it, and it engine brakes for me in a much more performance orientated way that I very much love (though I still use the paddles about 30% of the time!). :grin

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's not the engine, it's the transmission programming here. If the transmission is left in a higher gear and the torque converter unlocked, or if it disengages somehow like it does at a stoplight (something which apparently confused the R&T people, they didn't understand this design aspect of the newer version of the ZF transmission), it's essentially like shifting a manual transmission car into neutral while coasting and taking your foot off the gas. When in N, and especially in D, the transmission will be left in a lower gear and the torque converter locked when coasting. This allows you to engine brake like a manual transmission.

My morning commute to work takes me down a particular hill every day with a stoplight at the bottom, and with my Evoque every time about half way down the hill the transmission would shift to a higher gear, engine RPM would drop, vehicle speed would suddenly increase, and I would have to either start braking, or use the paddle shifter to downshift again to continue engine braking to control speed. With the Stelvio however it holds the lower gear so much more intuitively about what gear I want from it, and it engine brakes for me in a much more performance orientated way that I very much love (though I still use the paddles about 30% of the time!). :grin
I ,too, owned a 2015 Range Rover Evoque Coupe Dynamic. Until the Stelvio was introduced, it was THE design standout in the SUV world. I loved everything about the vehicle except the 9 speed ZF tranny was a true piece of junk. After 15 months, I could not tolerate it anymore. I don't blame Range Rover. ZF has a history of LOUSY design issuesand any vehicle with that transmission has abhorrent repair problems. BTW it was Vincenze Red with the dynamic Red/Black interior and was to be wife's 50th Bday present after a truck drove OVER her 2012 Jaguar XK. My RR dealer cut me a 2016 RRS HSE at invoice. I look forward to a vehicle that mechanically does what it is supposed to do like the RRS which is PERFECT. If it succeeds, I will step up to a Quad in a few.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
First long trip started with only 300 on odometer. BTW gps eval of speedo says it is only 1 mph slow.
375 miles doing 75-80 (65-70 zones). indicate 30 mpg till I got off highway and huslted thru my backwoods roads. When I gas up I will report actual mpg but even if computer is 7-10% opptomistic that will still be 27-28 highway on a new motor. pretty **** impressive.
Only achilles of this vehicle on highway is the too quick steering makes for extreme need to avoid overcorrection. It DOES wander and if you even look at cluster etc you find yourself half a lane over. A back road asset can be a highway hassle. BTW HPDE driving instructor.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts