Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my visor is up (in flat to roof position - buttons facing down) I'm finding you need to be almost touching the garage door / directly in front - few feet away before the door will open.

If you open the visor so the buttons are facing the windshield, the range of the signal dramatically improves and will open the garage door from 20-30 feet away...

where is the antenna mounted? can this be adjusted / improved??

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's not good. With the visor up my current car can open the garage(Homelink) down at the beginning of our street and we have a long steep driveway..was shocked with how far the range is...

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Range is decent here (usually visor up), on a par with my previous Jeep. Small note: when the vehicle is stopped, it loses power- for those of us that pull in, power off the car, then lower the door before exiting the vehicle it requires a small change in procedure. In the morning as well, the Home Link isn't active until the vehicle is started so you have to put the door up before getting in- alternative is start the car and immediately put up the door (prefer not to do that).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not good. With the visor up my current car can open the garage(Homelink) down at the beginning of our street and we have a long steep driveway..was shocked with how far the range is...
same experience with past cars (audi, porsche, bmw) homelink had great range (end of driveway so by the time you got to the door it was up no stopping needed...

sadly not with stelvio... dealership gave me the deer in headlights look when I mentioned it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Suggestion might be working with the antenna at the head unit. Other than switchable power, performance is very good here but we just had our doors serviced, realigned, and seals replaced/adjusted in anticipation of the winter weather- small expense but major improvement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine has good distance. I can open the garage from a couple of houses away.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
as with anything RF based, range will depend on environment and spectrum noise. if you live in a rural area where there are few houses nearby, you'll see better range than someone in an urban environment whose range will be much less, potentially 75% less or greater in extreme situations.. Also depends on the type garage door you have. I have a double wall insulated steel door, it's not exactly a fancy door, but it's durable and well insulated so even though it's a blizzard outside right now, my garage is probably 53-54F right now just from natural heat seeping up from the ground and through the back wall of the garage (which is below grade). The double wall steel door definitely limits the range of my openers to several car lengths at best.. When the door is open I can close it from the opener from 2-3 times the distance at which I can open it.

tldr? your opener may be working fine, yet due to environmental conditions still have to be right up next to the door to open it. best comparison is test against other openers in other cars, not what you feel it should do.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I'm a new Stelvio owner, and set up Homelink today. I must also put the grill against the garage door to get a signal through. Tomorrow I'll try the "folding the visor down" trick.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Without folding down, it actually reaches way further than the actual remote. In fact, i can open it across the street when parked far away. I'm having the same success with both of my Alfas. I would try resetting the buttons and reprogram. Check to see where the antenna is on the actual base. Older garage mechanisms typically have a hanging thin wire. Ensure it's hanging straight down and not rolled up or tucked away somewhere.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
....totally dependent on the opener and Homelink interaction. Mine vary from hundreds of feet to maybe 20. Different vehicles have different ranges with different doors.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For me the range is OK, but about half the range as on our Durango. Funny think is the range is better when driving away closing the door.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can be down the street and works just fine.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Same for me (works within ok range)
I am not sure why there is this difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine opens from a surprisingly long distance away and not in sight of he garage

1 - 17 of 17 Posts