Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned this on another thread although I can't recall which one but now other weirdness has occurred and I'm wondering if I'm the only one. Does anyone else have inconsistent behavior from any electronic components of their Stelvio? My observations are below.

1. The most frequent inconsistent function is the tuning of the radio. It seems the car randomly decides which station it's going to start with anytime I turn the car on. It's always one of the stations I've listened to before but not always the one I had on when I turned the car off. In some cases this is only a few minutes later -- I have been listening to a program on a station, stop for gas, fill'er up, turn the car back on and it's on the station I listened to the day before.

2. Only had this happen 1 time but I once turned the car off with the start/stop button, got out of the car through the driver's door and noted that the radio cut off (as it should after opening that door). I shut the door and pressed the button on the handle to lock it. It locked and I watched the mirrors tuck. As I walked around the car to go into my office I could hear the radio on inside the car. I went back around to driver's door and opened it and sure enough, the car was on and the radio was playing.

3. This could be me being paranoid because I cannot recall precisely what I did but it has definitely happened at least 3 times and each time I thought, wow, that was weird -- I don't remember turning the car off. I have a pretty long driveway and my mailbox is at the top. So, when I get home, I often put the car in park at the top of the driveway, get out to get the mail and then get back in with the engine running. On at least 3 occasions, I noticed that the engine was off when I got back in and I had to start it up again. It is entirely possible I somehow hit the stop button out of habit but, like I said, I definitely don't remember doing it (only pressing the park button) and each time, the radio was still playing when I got back in. Normally, when you turn the car off and open driver's door, the radio will cut off.

4. Yesterday was the first chilly day we've had in a while and I was probably under dressed for it. So I had both the seat warmer and the steering wheel warmer going. I stopped to pick up a couple sandwiches and, of course, turned off the car and locked it as usual. I was in the place maybe 5 minutes and I used the remote start to fire it up before I headed back out to the parking lot. To my delight (I wish it worked this way all the time), when I got in the car, both seat warmer and steering wheel warmer were still on and car was nice and toasty. I purposely left them both on when I got back to my office and used the remote start again to fire it up when I was ready to go home. Neither was on when I got in the car. I used remote start again this morning and, of course, no seat or wheel warmer.

Has anyone had one of these things occur? Something similar? Other bizarre behavior?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have not experienced any of these issues. I tried replicating the seat and steering wheel warmer and the radio stations but mine all worked as suggested in the manual.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Haven't experienced those issues (yet), but one thought on the stereo is that you can turn it on from the center console dial (push up) with the engine and accessory off, just get in the car and push the dial forward, don't touch the start button, even works without the key present. You might have activated it that way?

As for the seat / steering wheel heater. I suspect it's like my Range Rover where it'll remember the setting for a while, but after leaving the car off for more than X minutes it reverts back to the default off setting. with that if I went in for gas or a quick stop somewhere and the engine was off for less than ~15 minutes (never exactly timed it) the seats would resume on their previous setting, but anything longer and they wouldn't. Assuming the same situation here. I know that I parked it for 2 hours this morning and they didn't come back on automatically, nor did they after parking it again for ~30 minutes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have definitely experienced the "Ghost" radio setting as you have several times. It is very annoying. I'll have been tuned to a station when I shut the car off, but a different station will be on when I return.

While we're on the Infotainment system, it very often does not connect to my phone (new LG V10 Android). I have to reconnect the Bluetooth quite often.

I haven't experienced any of your other items, except to say I agree that the seat and steering wheel heaters should come on with the remote start. Isn't that the point on a cold day? My less premium Jeep can be programmed to have them or the seat cooler activate with the remote start.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have definitely experienced the "Ghost" radio setting as you have several times. It is very annoying. I'll have been tuned to a station when I shut the car off, but a different station will be on when I return.

While we're on the Infotainment system, it very often does not connect to my phone (new LG V10 Android). I have to reconnect the Bluetooth quite often.

I haven't experienced any of your other items, except to say I agree that the seat and steering wheel heaters should come on with the remote start. Isn't that the point on a cold day? My less premium Jeep can be programmed to have them or the seat cooler activate with the remote start.
Just curious, have you tried rebooting your phone? I have had a couple occasions where either my phone or my son's phone (media only) had trouble connecting. Rebooted the phones and it connected right away without doing anything in the car. Actually, this has happened a couple times in my other cars if I haven't rebooted the phone in a long time.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The remote start uses the internal temperature sensor to determine whether or not to turn the seat and steering wheel heater on.
The morning was chilly but was it probably warmer inside the vehicle when you went home and over the temp threshold.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The remote start uses the internal temperature sensor to determine whether or not to turn the seat and steering wheel heater on.
The morning was chilly but was it probably warmer inside the vehicle when you went home and over the temp threshold.
Where did you learn this? So far, it hasn't worked that way that I can tell. I think SailDrive is correct because I did a bit of running around yesterday -- 3 or 4 stops. Each time seat warmers came back on because I started the car within 30 min of turning it off. Remote start this morning (and it was pretty chilly) and no warmers.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
Where did you learn this? So far, it hasn't worked that way that I can tell. I think SailDrive is correct because I did a bit of running around yesterday -- 3 or 4 stops. Each time seat warmers came back on because I started the car within 30 min of turning it off. Remote start this morning (and it was pretty chilly) and no warmers.

we need to check better inside the user manual if exist an explication of this power on off strategy of seats

·
Registered
534 Posts
Owners Manual:

Remote Starting System
This system uses the key fob to start the engine conveniently from outside the vehicle while still maintaining security. The system has a range of at least 300 feet (91 meters). The remote starting system also activates the climate control (if equipped),the heated seats (if equipped), and the heated steering wheel (if equipped), depending on temperatures outside and inside of the vehicle.

Remote Start Comfort Systems—If Equipped
When Remote Start is activated, the heated steering wheel and driver heated seat features will automatically turn on in cold weather. These features will stay on through the duration of remote start until the ignition is cycled to the ON/RUN mode.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sorry, can't edit my post and add more.

I cannot find any specific information on AR temp settings but the factory installed Chrysler systems turn the seats on automatically at temperatures below 40 F/ 4 C.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got the Infomat gremlins when I first started the car this morning. This was the first time, btw.

The system did not recognize that my phone had already been paired and I was stuck in the subscription channel for Sirius. I tried switching Sirius channels but to no avail. Finally, after about 30 - 45 seconds, the system recycled and I was back to normal. :>)

What a ditzy blonde I'm driving!

·
Read Only
849 Posts
Owners Manual:

Remote Starting System
This system uses the key fob to start the engine conveniently from outside the vehicle while still maintaining security. The system has a range of at least 300 feet (91 meters). The remote starting system also activates the climate control (if equipped),the heated seats (if equipped), and the heated steering wheel (if equipped), depending on temperatures outside and inside of the vehicle.

Remote Start Comfort Systems—If Equipped
When Remote Start is activated, the heated steering wheel and driver heated seat features will automatically turn on in cold weather. These features will stay on through the duration of remote start until the ignition is cycled to the ON/RUN mode.
Not bad, correct heathing strategy

·
Registered
8 Posts
2. Only had this happen 1 time but I once turned the car off with the start/stop button, got out of the car through the driver's door and noted that the radio cut off (as it should after opening that door). I shut the door and pressed the button on the handle to lock it. It locked and I watched the mirrors tuck. As I walked around the car to go into my office I could hear the radio on inside the car. I went back around to driver's door and opened it and sure enough, the car was on and the radio was playing.
I was perusing the Italian forums and they have encountered this issue. Apparently, it might have something to do with whether or not you were on a bluetooth mobile call before exiting the vehicle as the system tries to stay connected to your mobile phone. They suggested doing a long-push on the on-off center console button to manually turn off the infotainment system before leaving the vehicle. If you leave the vehicle while on bluetooth, after the handoff to your mobile phone, the infotainment then switches back to the radio of whatever function you had actively running at the time of the call and stays on even if your left and locked your vehicle. Whether this is the real cause and solution I do not know, but it's something to consider.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so 2 things to report.

1. Yesterday I was in my office and hit the remote start but don't know if I may have been out of range. When I went outside car was not running but the radio was on. The low fuel alert was on (wasn't when I parked it but I'm sure it was close). Don't know if that had anything to do with it but maybe it doesn't remotely start in low fuel condition. I also don't know how long the radio was on but I was certainly glad when the car started without a jump!

2. This morning, with full tank, I remotely started at the house and car was comfortable when I got inside but seat and wheel were not hot (they weren't really cold either but didn't appear seat or steering wheel warmer was on). When I remembered to check the outside temperature, it said 34 degrees Fahrenheit. So if it is supposed to engage seats and wheel below 40, it didn't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay so 2 things to report.

2. This morning, with full tank, I remotely started at the house and car was comfortable when I got inside but seat and wheel were not hot (they weren't really cold either but didn't appear seat or steering wheel warmer was on). When I remembered to check the outside temperature, it said 34 degrees Fahrenheit. So if it is supposed to engage seats and wheel below 40, it didn't work.
Was your Stelvio inside your garage, and you opened your garage door and then remotely started your Stelvio or was it outside all night?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was your Stelvio inside your garage, and you opened your garage door and then remotely started your Stelvio or was it outside all night?
Having a little work done in the house and contractor took over the garage so it was outside all night.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I was perusing the Italian forums and they have encountered this issue. Apparently, it might have something to do with whether or not you were on a bluetooth mobile call before exiting the vehicle as the system tries to stay connected to your mobile phone. They suggested doing a long-push on the on-off center console button to manually turn off the infotainment system before leaving the vehicle. If you leave the vehicle while on bluetooth, after the handoff to your mobile phone, the infotainment then switches back to the radio of whatever function you had actively running at the time of the call and stays on even if your left and locked your vehicle. Whether this is the real cause and solution I do not know, but it's something to consider.
A couple nights ago I was able to demonstrate this exact situation with the Bluetooth on a call. turned car off, transferred call to handset from button on phone, exited car, happened to stay outside the car in the garage until I ended the call, and the moment I hung up the radio turned on inside the car which I had several minutes prior exited!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Not bad, correct heathing strategy
sounds like there should be an option to enable / disable this in the infotainment system, or it's an option just like car play. manual says it's there but it really isn't :-\

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had this happen this morning but I couldn't remember what you suggested as solution. I was pulling into my parking space when the phone rang and I answered it. I turned the car off and opened the door figuring it would kill the infotainment and call would go to phone ear speaker. (that's how both my volvo and infiniti work). Nope, car wouldn't let go of the call. I couldn't remember what to do and, in my fumbling, I ended up hanging up on the person. But once the call disconnected, the car shut everything off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My new Stelvio has never, not once, turned on the seat and steering wheel heaters with remote start. It has been very cold here, below 20F most days some days, so according to the manual the features should be activated.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts