Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now our Stelvio has automatically slammed on the brakes, whiplashing us forward, for no reason. Two different drivers. No other cars on road. No obstacles on road. Both times around 30mph. It's frightening at that speed. I'm terrified what would happen if I was going faster. Anyone else?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Terrifying. I thought the front collision system was just a warning, not a stop. I wouldn't drive it again unless it was to the service center.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Do you have the dynamic assist package? If so check that the forward radar is clean and doesn’t have anything blocking it. I’d recommend a trip to your dealer to make sure the emergency braking system is ok.

At a guess I would suspect your dealer missed some wrap when they detailed your car and the plastic is fluttering in front of the radar which is making it detect a “pedestrian”.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Haven't had the experience. I was starting to wonder if mine was working as you've got to come in very hot before it gives you a warning, I haven't had it auto brake for me yet.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
If there was no apparent reason for this best to Email Jasmine and open a case with your dealer's service department.

Mine has reacted about 5 times so far and only once applied the brakes (that I could feel under my foot) but given my expert driving/amazing reactions and lack of distractions I would have had it anyway. That said, there is no 100% way to know and to me its cheap insurance as late middle age approaches. The other thing is super fast reaction time in the case of an unavoidable crash it would mitigate the severity of the impact, God forbid. Brake by wire has a super fast reaction time.

You would be the first to have this issue that any of us have seen on this forum. According to Alfatech they use blow-up dolls to verify reaction. The camera is located in the pod behind the rearview mirror and I do believe it uses the sensor behind the window in the lower right hand grill.

Hope all is well and you are back to loving your car very soon. Keep us in the loop please.

Reactions: ViscontiVerde 164L*

·
Registered
228 Posts
ghost slamming on the brakes

Wow, never had this happen in my Stelvio and I've had plenty of close ones where the audio warning went off but no automatic braking engagged except for ABS and probably PBAS. This has happened to me in my 2014 Mazda6 but only at low speed, 10mph, as I approach the exit gate of my parking lot. If I don't have my foot on the brake the automatic braking kicks in when the lift gate goes up and the suddenness of the stop is so shocking I can't imagine this at 30mph. Thank god you weren't in the middle of traffic. There's an interesting detail in the onlline Stelvio manual (https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...elvio/2018-Alfa_Romeo-Stelvio_Base-OM-2nd.pdf) under the Forward Collision Warning System section, "The system will intervene automatically in case of imminent collision or impact against a pedestrian crossing the road (speed under 31 mph (50 km/h) ". You indicated you were going 30mph in both instances which appears to be the speed limit for engagement on the Forward Collision Warning System. You obviously have something very wrong going on with the FCWS. I would have it towed to the dealer and also call Alfa Care to open a case on it. I'm very interested to know what the diagnosis is on the problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
speed bump

Twice now our Stelvio has automatically slammed on the brakes, whiplashing us forward, for no reason. Two different drivers. No other cars on road. No obstacles on road. Both times around 30mph. It's frightening at that speed. I'm terrified what would happen if I was going faster. Anyone else?
Oh, yeah.

This has happened to me about 3 times since October 2017. Same lowly speed bump. And I was driving very slow, too.
I have Forward Collision.

Not too worried, at least the system works. Well, maybe a bit too aggressively.

i

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If there was no apparent reason for this best to Email Jasmine and open a case with your dealer's service department.

Mine has reacted about 5 times so far and only once applied the brakes (that I could feel under my foot) but given my expert driving/amazing reactions and lack of distractions I would have had it anyway. That said, there is no 100% way to know and to me its cheap insurance as late middle age approaches. The other thing is super fast reaction time in the case of an unavoidable crash it would mitigate the severity of the impact, God forbid. Brake by wire has a super fast reaction time.

You would be the first to have this issue that any of us have seen on this forum. According to Alfatech they use blow-up dolls to verify reaction. The camera is located in the pod behind the rearview mirror and I do believe it uses the sensor behind the window in the lower right hand grill.

Hope all is well and you are back to loving your car very soon. Keep us in the loop please.

Poor old little Ms Pinky!!. Adaptives have multiple issues. My Sis has a pretty new Sequioa and anytime a car cuts in front, they get that unpleasant whiplash so they permanently disabled it. My bigger concern when something happens in front of me is WHAT IS BEHIND ME??!!!

Do you have something hanging from your rear view mirror?

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Poor old little Ms Pinky!!. Adaptives have multiple issues. My Sis has a pretty new Sequioa and anytime a car cuts in front, they get that unpleasant whiplash so they permanently disabled it. My bigger concern when something happens in front of me is WHAT IS BEHIND ME??!!!

Do you have something hanging from your rear view mirror?

A better question for Criss Roberts. My Avoidance System experiences were what I would consider 'normal'... the one time I felt the pedal under my foot on I287, an Econoline behind me went into serious evasive mode-- to validate your point.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Rear ending someone is usually less painful for the driver than being rear ended

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I had this happen minimally a few weeks ago. No adaptive cruise. BTW. I braked somewhat and it gave me a brief emergency braking response. Till I saw this I assumed my foot slipped on pedal or something...Still think that was it.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Have had a trash can on the side of the road activate the emergency braking, and a couple times now a vehicle stopped in or going intothe left turn lane, has made the vehicle brake unexpectedly while driving with cruise on...one time it pretty obviously scarred the life out of the person behind me, they overeacted bad.

Definitly not the best part of the tech...and something to be aware of...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You just described exactly why I did not want it. Adaptive cruise can get real ugly on any vehicle. Its like a caffeinated female teenager on amphetamines when it goes bonkers. Does wierd stuff. Like you said you survive, but when the guy (think 495 near Lowell) pulls in front of you under braking, the guy behind dive bombs left as he/she craps themself.

·
Registered
381 Posts
ghost slamming fix

This has happened to me at this point about 10 times now since last year.

Usually it's a speed bump but not always. It's something the factory needs to look at.

Since it's such intermittent problem, how on earth can I get an Alfa tech to fix it unless their is a TSB fix?

By TSB I mean "Technical Service Bulletin" not Tall, Skinny, Blonde.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
This has happened to me at this point about 10 times now since last year.

Usually it's a speed bump but not always. It's something the factory needs to look at.

Since it's such intermittent problem, how on earth can I get an Alfa tech to fix it unless their is a TSB fix?

By TSB I mean "Technical Service Bulletin" not Tall, Skinny, Blonde.

Some of the problem is calibration, which can be fixed but it takes engineers crunching data and that takes time....

Most of it has to do with the limitations of the hardware itself.

I didn't want the adaptive cruise for that reason but I wanted the sunroof, heated seats/steering wheel and Alfa white, and it just happened the best deal also had the cruise...

Since having it I like it, but find it useful only on a freeway with full 10ft wide lanes and light to moderate traffic. Works great to regulate speed, and it brakes so well! I started emulating it and get perfectly smooth stops now. But the issues with unexpected braking keep me from using it anywhere else, or any time someone is on my butt (which isn't often...?/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif)

But yeah..just like the digital dash my Mom had in her Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo back in the 80's....this is a case of technology being used before it is really ready...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ghost or phantom slamming of the brakes - this happened twice in the last week. Same speed bump.
Ugh -

·
Registered
147 Posts
On the flip side, I had the dynamic assist kicking this weekend when someone cut me off and slammed on their brakes.

The car responded before I could. I still think I would have avoided a collision on my own, but it was nice to know that it works.

PS -- first time this has ever occurred for me in any car, so it surprised the heck out of me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts