Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday went to visit Glendale Alfa and the SA was amazing !
He knew so much more than the ditzy chick at OC Fiat...

TIRE PRESSURES:
So the tire pressures are shipped and kept at the dealer at very high pressures per factory agreement.
The dealer is told to reduce the tire pressure when they sell it - before the customer drives off.
For the potential customer, that makes for a bad test drive if you happen to test drive a 50psi car.
My SA allowed me to bring my pressure gauge and drop it to 34/36psi and the drive was magic!
I thought the 20" wheels/tires would be harsh but not so - they rode very well with the standard suspension and conventional tires.
If I were to get that setup, I would need to have a compact spare as I don't relish the fact that the mobility kit with the tire sealant would cause a problem with the TPMS sensor in the tire!

Ti SPORT PERFORMANCE package option:
My SA said they are getting in the Stelvios with this option but warned me that the adjustable dampers will only work while in D mode (DNA knob).
I enjoyed the drive in N mode as the D mode was very jumpy....
So the only advantage to get this option would be for the LSD on the rear axle ???
Is this true (adjustable dampers in D mode) or was he just telling me that so that I would be forced to get a lot car now ??? :confused:

Apple Carplay & Android Auto:
SA said all incoming 2018 manufactured Stelvios will come with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto due to new hardware but those cars will sell at full MSRP less any lease incentives depending on which bank they use....

REVERSE CAMERA issue:
SA said Alfa does not plan on improving the rear camera resolution and screen size anytime soon.

BATTERY CONDITION:

For the lot cars that have been sitting on the dealer floor for over 200 days (Aged units), I asked if the battery has been charged monthly and asked for the battery condition checklist that is supposed to be signed off every month after a service tech puts a charger on each car.
SA could not find this form on any of the Stelvios. I was puzzled and felt this was a neglected maintenance item.
So beware that aged units being sold now that may have battery & electronics issues down the line. Have the SA write a "Due Bill" to have the battery condition noted as "missing" so that if in the future they find an issue, they will replace it for no cost.

SA pushing sales:
SA was very good at quelling any objections to my questions and trying to 'fit' me into a lot car.
He said they really need to move the on lot cars and will deal !
2017 manufactured Stelvios selling as 2018 (on lot aged cars) - said some are being sold at 20% off MSRP + Lease incentives if you lease it.
SA said that only the cars that are aged on the lot will get that 20% discount.
Some trims lease higher due to RV/MF such as the Ti Sport models compared to the non Sport models.
The new models are now showing up equipped with Apple Carplay / Android Auto but he said they will sell them at FULL MSRP.

So the 2 questions I have:
Ti Performance Sport package option - does the adjustable damper ONLY work in D mode ?
Would it better to wait for the incoming 2018/19 models that have Carplay/AA or should I just get the current lot car and live with their own built in Nav ?

Ti Sport I test drove after adjusting tire pressures down:

Compare my Land Rover sitting behind her which is coming to lease end....

·
Registered
534 Posts
The Alfa Active Suspension in the Sport Performance package is always active and adjusting damping. Dynamic is the only mode the shocks go to their Firm setting but can also be switched back to Soft. In Normal and Advanced Efficiency they are in Soft setting only.
Unless I'm really driving hard and going for a new land speed freeway on-ramp record, I leave mine in N mode and the ride and handling with the active suspension is fantastic. Easily the best add-on to the vehicle in my opinion.

Reactions: 4sallypat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Alfa Active Suspension in the Sport Performance package is always active and adjusting damping. Dynamic is the only mode the shocks go to their Firm setting but can also be switched back to Soft. In Normal and Advanced Efficiency they are in Soft setting only.
Unless I'm really driving hard and going for a new land speed freeway on-ramp record, I leave mine in N mode and the ride and handling with the active suspension is fantastic. Easily the best add-on to the vehicle in my opinion.
^^^:wink
Thank you for the actual on road performance of this option.

I think I will wait for the new incoming cars with this feature even though it means paying almost full MSRP....

·
Registered
534 Posts
In case they still deny that the Active Suspension works in modes other than Dynamic, here is a memo from FCA to dealers to explain the difference (originally written in Italian and translated to english by google)

Alfa Romeo Stelvio Alfa Dynamic Suspension vs. Alfa Active Suspension

Dear Sellers, below you will find the explanation of the Alfa Dynamic Suspension systems (already available on Stelvio) and Alfa Active Suspension (soon available on Stelvio) so that you can adequately illustrate customers in explanation phase of the product.

Alfa Dynamic Suspension
This is a system that, thanks to the use of Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) technology, improves handling and road holding even in non-optimal road surface conditions, all to the advantage of driving comfort. During the normal running of a vehicle, a shock absorber moves in compression and in extension thousands of times the stresses from which a shock absorber is affected have frequencies of various entities: in particular, flat surfaces generate low frequency inputs, while disconnected roads generate input high frequency. Alfa Dynamic Suspension, thanks to a special additional valve that regulates the flow of oil according to road conditions, is able to vary the response of the shock to the advantage of comfort and road holding.

Alfa Dynamic Suspension needs to feel the variation of roughness of the road surface to be able to adapt in a completely mechanical (and hydraulic) damping of the shock absorber; it is not governed by electronic controls and does not interact with Chassis Domain Control.

Alfa Active Suspension is an active and continuous suspension and shock absorber control system that reduces vehicle body oscillations in all driving conditions. It constantly interacts with the CDC and the Alfa DNA Pro and "calibrates its intervention according to the selected mode ..
Page 2
A solenoid valve modifies the hydraulic flow inside the shock, modifying the suspension damping characteristics. The solonoids are managed by the control unit on the basis of control algorithms. The goal is to reduce the fluctuations of the car body in all conditions to the advantage of comfort and handling Alfa Active Suspension will be available during the month of November 2017

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In case they still deny that the Active Suspension works in modes other than Dynamic, here is a memo from FCA to dealers to explain the difference (originally written in Italian and translated to english by google)

Alfa Romeo Stelvio Alfa Dynamic Suspension vs. Alfa Active Suspension

Dear Sellers, below you will find the explanation of the Alfa Dynamic Suspension systems (already available on Stelvio) and Alfa Active Suspension (soon available on Stelvio) so that you can adequately illustrate customers in explanation phase of the product.

Alfa Dynamic Suspension
This is a system that, thanks to the use of Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) technology, improves handling and road holding even in non-optimal road surface conditions, all to the advantage of driving comfort. During the normal running of a vehicle, a shock absorber moves in compression and in extension thousands of times the stresses from which a shock absorber is affected have frequencies of various entities: in particular, flat surfaces generate low frequency inputs, while disconnected roads generate input high frequency. Alfa Dynamic Suspension, thanks to a special additional valve that regulates the flow of oil according to road conditions, is able to vary the response of the shock to the advantage of comfort and road holding.

Alfa Dynamic Suspension needs to feel the variation of roughness of the road surface to be able to adapt in a completely mechanical (and hydraulic) damping of the shock absorber; it is not governed by electronic controls and does not interact with Chassis Domain Control.

Alfa Active Suspension is an active and continuous suspension and shock absorber control system that reduces vehicle body oscillations in all driving conditions. It constantly interacts with the CDC and the Alfa DNA Pro and "calibrates its intervention according to the selected mode ..
Page 2
A solenoid valve modifies the hydraulic flow inside the shock, modifying the suspension damping characteristics. The solonoids are managed by the control unit on the basis of control algorithms. The goal is to reduce the fluctuations of the car body in all conditions to the advantage of comfort and handling Alfa Active Suspension will be available during the month of November 2017
Thank you very much for the explanation.

Guess my dealer SA was not that very well versed....

Now this makes me want to wait for the next batch of Stelvios....

·
Registered
381 Posts
The new models are now showing up equipped with Apple Carplay / Android Auto but he said they will sell them at FULL MSRP.

WTH?
That salesperson must be smoking crack. I promise you there are many dealers in SoCal that will discount if the car has Apple Carplay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

WTH?
That salesperson must be smoking crack. I promise you there are many dealers in SoCal that will discount if the car has Apple Carplay.
Yeah, the SA wanted to push me onto the current stock Stelvios without Carplay - he said the discounts on the current on lot cars is much larger than if I waited for the next batch coming in...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah, the SA wanted to push me onto the current stock Stelvios without Carplay - he said the discounts on the current on lot cars is much larger than if I waited for the next batch coming in...
That's true. You have a lot of leverage in negotiation when the car is already sitting on the lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts