Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti Alfa white with Chocolate interior, premium package.
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than replacing the broken 2nd row seat heat button (the reason for the appt in the first place) are there other things I oughtta have dealer take care of on my MY22 w/18K miles? I'm thinking along the lines of updates and stuff...

so far i've put these on my list:

-HVAC software update (fix the remote start no climate issue?) - just saw that on another thread
-telematic update and voice recognition (daily pop-up) and telematic low battery (pop-up just today)
-ACP has been a little glitchy lately
-map update?
- are there any recalls?

-others?

thx

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
440 Posts
Let us know how the HVAC thing goes and what version is installed. Back in January they updated my HVAC did nothing for the heated seat on remote start issue. Hopefully there is a later update for that I dont have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You download and update the maps yourself. Why would you pay the dealer to do it? Recalls show up on the Alfa app. ACP?
Hmmm, I tried the map update myself it still misses the same streets..I’m thinking they’d do it w/o charging me maybe that’s naive... I’m hoping the Apple CarPlay (ACP) intermittent issue is just a software update..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hmmm, I tried the map update myself it still misses the same streets..I’m thinking they’d do it w/o charging me maybe that’s naive... I’m hoping the Apple CarPlay (ACP) intermittent issue is just a software update..
Mapping software data that is not Apple or Google has notoriously long lead times, they're usually a few years behind what's out there now, and in some cases they only update major areas. That's what makes Apple and Google so far ahead on in car Navigation.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
What Diane said is absolute true. Your phones will go though some updates and sometimes, these updates will impact your current link to your car. I had to update the car's software in order to avoid some glitches. This old unit I have in my car, however, handled it much better. Now I don't get disconnected anymore as I did before. This just tells me that the 2 year old unit in my Alfa was more updated on 1 year old cars... hope it makes sense...

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
In cities.. get rural enough and google dies hard. Apple is no better.

The car nav is really nice when you are remote enough the cell signals aren't reliable. I realize that's a fringe use case, however..you ever get in the fringe, its nice. Nothing wrong with making sure the maps are updated.

You might ask about apple car play issues, but I expect that will get blamed on Apple. Definitely try to argue they at least check everything before saying that.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Ok Ok... here's a common misconception of GPS signal. Our phones have GPS receptors just like the car. What our phones do not have are the maps to save space and to avoid updates to the maps once it changes. Your data will load the phone with the map for, let's say about 10miles radius, then everything is basically GPS signal. Data is only needed to load the map. When phone detects the weak DATA signal to download the map, it asks if you want to download the route. GPS does what it does by tracking the location of your phone.

So, GPS signals and Data are two different things. it takes less than 10-20kbytes to download a map so it hardly do not use data. GPS signals, thanks to our military, it's free.

Bottom line, your car GPS system just downloads all maps of a region and interest points and have it as a massive data for your car. Your google maps and apple maps only downloads route and destination points. So, the data plan really has nothing to do with GPS signals being weak. it's going to be weak for ALL GPS enabled devices. I see that the phones now a days are coming out with more and more memories so downloading a map on the phone will soon be eliminated. Since there are people with old phones with 64 mb memories still, they have not changed it and also it's faster to download small area.

If you want your phone to have the map of the united states, then you can actually download it all on your phone from wifi or data plan. This will save you some data when traveling, if you are concerned with data signals in your area. If you are concerned about data usage, don't turn on the Spotify, apple music or amazon music and use the radio, CD or thumb drives.

once again, weak data signal is not the same thing as weak GPS.

Sorry about this but this is one of my things I HAVE to explain to others... I don't know why....:LOL:

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
You realize this isn't conjecture to me .....I understand what you're saying, also understand that what works in theory, doesn't always in reality, and phone navigation not needing a cell signal doesn't hold up.

At last a few thousand of the miles on my car have been done in areas that don't have cell signal.

It isn't just not updating the maps, you can be standing still and your position on the map will move by 200 feet using Google, Apple no better.

Using just GPS without cell signal on my phone to navigate has lead me on wild goose chases ending almost 80 miles away from my destination. Google maps is period unreliable without a cell signal. Sometimes... It'll glitch and change the destination to random places miles away. Lemme tell ya it super fun when you have an appointment to show a property in the desert and google decides to change the directions halfway there and take you somewhere else, then you don't realize untill you are 5 minutes from the meeting time and are 70 miles away from where you are supossed to be now. Again.. middle of the desert, no building, landmarks, no cell signals, can't call the people and explain.

The car on the other hand is rock solid, even when I'm on the borders of the Marine base where basically nothing works reliably. (No doubt being near the base is a big factor here)

Driving around any city, or near any sort of major highway... Google 100%. Go off the beaten track and the car nav is your best friend.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
that's because the cars have more powerful antenna for GPS signal and it's usually on the roof of the cars. Our phones are usually in a pocket or in a bag. You are right in that our phones do not lock to GPS signal and has to use the triangular method to estimate the location of our position. That's why you need the AA or AC. AA/AC uses the GPS antenna to grab hold of the signal to its best. Car GPS locks to a closest GPS sat, our phones do not. This is apparent when using android devised radio. it will download from Google map and will use the antenna to lock on to closest sat. It actually gives you choices as to which one to lock on to.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
There are a lot of reasons for it, but it comes down to...

In fringe circumstances purpose designed pretty much always beats multi-purpose. If your car has Nav why not keep the maps updated, might never need them, but if you do... And they aren't updated.... It might be a serious issue.

As always better safe then sorry.

All of this doesn't even mention, what if you phone is dead? I've had it happen..

Once again middle of the desert...phone plugged in to charge, listening to music on it... Suddenly dies. Why? Stupid USB cable was broken and didn't charge it, and didn't notice. Seriously... How people act like cell phones are the basket to put all your eggs in like they can't possibly fail at the worst possible moment....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
My list for dcember visit to the dealer
1. oil change and complete look over + proxy reset so I can get more tokens for my MES. only has 2 left.
2. seat memory setting. simply, it does not work.
3. computer updates, if any. Maybe it will give me sound on blind side detection. The function is on the menu so I'll ask

that's it, I think.

should I poke a hole in the radiator and also ask them to replace the oil pump just in case, while still under warranty? LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
In cities.. get rural enough and google dies hard. Apple is no better.

The car nav is really nice when you are remote enough the cell signals aren't reliable. I realize that's a fringe use case, however..you ever get in the fringe, its nice. Nothing wrong with making sure the maps are updated.

You might ask about apple car play issues, but I expect that will get blamed on Apple. Definitely try to argue they at least check everything before saying that.
On my recent road trip, I had a number of occasions with unreliable cell service. My Plan B was HereWeGO (used to be Nokia maps) for Android, with downloaded maps. You can download them by state, country, etc., which is much more convenient than downloading from Google. Aside from the "off-line" advantage of HereWeGo, though, I prefer Google maps. Plan C was a Road Atlas, on paper.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Other than replacing the broken 2nd row seat heat button (the reason for the appt in the first place) are there other things I oughtta have dealer take care of on my MY22 w/18K miles? I'm thinking along the lines of updates and stuff...

so far i've put these on my list:

-HVAC software update (fix the remote start no climate issue?) - just saw that on another thread
-telematic update and voice recognition (daily pop-up) and telematic low battery (pop-up just today)
-ACP has been a little glitchy lately
-map update?
- are there any recalls?

-others?

thx
Hello,

We're happy to see you'll be bringing your vehicle to a dealership. If you need any additional assistance from us during your appointment, please send us a private message letting us know how we can help.

Haim
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let us know how the HVAC thing goes and what version is installed. Back in January they updated my HVAC did nothing for the heated seat on remote start issue. Hopefully there is a later update for that I dont have.
So this morning it worked, being the first morning sub 40s since picking up the car from dealer. They ran the hvac update see below image item B… I’m a happy camper now AND the dealer washed and detailed the car.( I need to take this thing in more often). I was kinda glad to get out of the keep GC loaner…

Font Publication Document Paper Paper product

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts