Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All.

This morning I parted with my 19 Quad. I had fun driving almost 20k miles in the last 3yrs. However I could not take it anymore!
I would like to summarize a few things that happened to me and were the main drivers of my divorce with the Stelvio quad.

Bought the car new in 2019. By far the most fun car I ever drove... no comparison. I drove some other fun german and italian cars in the past yet the quad was special, unique.
However unique were also the multiple issues with the car and the numerous trips to service. I have never, ever, took a car to the service department as many times as I did with the stelvio. To provide some context, in three years of Stelvio ownership, I took the car more times to service (not for regular maintenance but for issues) vs ownership of 6 cars in the previous 20yrs (!!). When I sat down and quantified the number of trips I made, it became clear something had to change. Even if most of the times the issues were minor (mainly lights popping up, engine light, throttle light etc), the lack of certainty of going on a trip with the stelvio away from alfa dealerships/service made driving the stelvio not fun anymore.
One thing I can say for certain is also that Alfa service is pretty bad here in the US (I experienced other Alfa service shops in Europe but I can't ship the car 7000 miles to check a few lights). The knowledge of the people working here is appalling and I've been to multiple Alfa service. They fix something and create new problems. Yes, everything was under warranty, but my time is not under warranty. Being away for half a day at the dealership so that they "TRY" to figure out what is going on is no way to live! resetting lights/software and then having the SAME issue happen again and again is not fun.
Obviously the Stelvio technology is pretty bad, the battery is crap... there's a weird chemistry between components that are more susceptible to random events than a pissed off wife can be. I knew that before buying it, but I didn't care about it back then I only cared about the engine and driving experience. However I do now, lights go on then off, then on again for no reason. A $90k car CANNOT have these issues! at least not on a recurring basis.
Basically nothing is wrong with my car according to service. nothing! LOL. yeah right.
in summary I think the quad was the most fun yet most unreliable car to drive. I would not recommend it to anyone (especially if outside warranty period) ....unless you are someone retired with time on your hands, extra $$ and you want a complicated life.
Hope this post doesn't offend current owners, but this is a quick summary of reality from my side... facts not fiction. I'm sure others are having different experiences but it's still a gamble to own one as I've read from multiple owners having the same experiences.

All the best.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
224 Posts
So, you have owned the car for 3 years, never interacted with the alfa community here (an amazing resource for info that may have given you easy solutions to several of your issues).
And then join up to list complaints and say goodbye?
Well, bye then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you Nicola Romeo, founder of Alfa? I don't think so, so stop taking it personal. Your reply does absolutely nothing to solve the issues I mentioned. I've been around the forum longer than you. I created a new account this morning for a reason.
This is not the only Alfa I owned. So piss off. You think i'd waste my time writing this up for what? to damage Alfa? lol. get a life.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
224 Posts
I did not take your post personally.
Not just here, but on many online forums, random people will pop up with their first post complaining and writing off the brand (cars, watches, knives, whatever)
There was no indication in your post that you have been a member here. I have had my Stelvio for 2 years, but have been a member at alfabb for 20 plus years and alfa owner since '98.
I wish you well, and hope you find what you are looking for.
Sorry that you had so many issues with your quad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
are you Nicola Romeo, founder of Alfa? I don't think so, so stop taking it personal. Your reply does absolutely nothing to solve the issues I mentioned. I've been around the forum longer than you. I created a new account this morning for a reason.
This is not the only Alfa I owned. So piss off. You think i'd waste my time writing this up for what? to damage Alfa? lol. get a life.
Bye Fin troll! Have a great day!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bye Fin troll! Have a great day!
stop judging people for their posts. this is an Alfa forum isn't it? I'm talking about Alfa ain't I? there's plenty other people discussing my same issues. are those trolls? anyway enjoy your stellar TI. my post was about the quad anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
stop judging people for their posts. this is an Alfa forum isn't it? I'm talking about Alfa ain't I? there's plenty other people discussing my same issues. are those trolls? anyway enjoy your stellar TI. my post was about the quad anyway.
Post like a troll, defend like a troll, must be a

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Right..only you get to judge and only negative opinions matter.

Get over yourself.

This is a Alfa Romeo board and as such people don't like other people trashing thier car. If you were a contributing member..ok. You aren't though, at least not that we can tell.

Go enjoy boring. 15k in 3 years? Your biggest problem is not driving the car enough, next owner will give it better home probably never have another problem. Lots of Quads with lots more miles and no problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
their car? excuse me sir, this was MY car too until 10am this morning. I guess I have MORE rights to talk about a quad, that I drove for 2.5yrs then the guy driving a Ti above!!
I don't care what people like or not. my post was respectful and factual as far as my experience is concerned. It was also not all negative as I clearly said it was the best driving experience I ever had (that is positive isn't it?). the replies were not respectful. typical of people that don't agree with an argument and dismiss it as being "fake". usually not the sharpest tools in the box imo.
it's not all unicorns you know... if you can't stomach a "bad" alfa post I'm sorry, get a grip. I hope my post helps potential buyers/owners either way. I'm not against Alfa, I actually own a 1974 spider in Europe and that gave me a lot less problems than the 2019 quad! but when a product is bad, it's bad. point.
and yes, I'll go enjoy boring and reliable as the second to me matters most after 2.5yrs of misery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
their car? excuse me sir, this was MY car too until 10am this morning. I guess I have MORE rights to talk about a quad, that I drove for 2.5yrs then the guy driving a Ti above!!
I don't care what people like or not. my post was respectful and factual as far as my experience is concerned. It was also not all negative as I clearly said it was the best driving experience I ever had (that is positive isn't it?). the replies were not respectful. typical of people that don't agree with an argument and dismiss it as being "fake". usually not the sharpest tools in the box imo.
it's not all unicorns you know... if you can't stomach a "bad" alfa post I'm sorry, get a grip. I hope my post helps potential buyers/owners either way. I'm not against Alfa, I actually own a 1974 spider in Europe and that gave me a lot less problems than the 2019 quad! but when a product is bad, it's bad. point.
and yes, I'll go enjoy boring and reliable as the second to me matters most after 2.5yrs of misery.
LOL, you need help finding the door? Make like your troll name and good bye.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did not take your post personally.
Not just here, but on many online forums, random people will pop up with their first post complaining and writing off the brand (cars, watches, knives, whatever)
There was no indication in your post that you have been a member here. I have had my Stelvio for 2 years, but have been a member at alfabb for 20 plus years and alfa owner since '98.
I wish you well, and hope you find what you are looking for.
Sorry that you had so many issues with your quad.
What are you sorry about, did you build his car? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yup, WAS your car. Now it can go to someone who will enjoy it.

Some might say your post is generic and lacking actual information as to what the problems were or even how often experienced, rather it is fill with hyperbole. My suspicion is how you drive and how the "smart" charging algorithms works don't mesh well together, AND this is the first car you've driven that uses "smart" charging. In which case...get used to thinking cars are crap. But you doubtless know better then me about all that...cause of things you know about cars that were made before that technology became common.

Having problems with ONE car and conflating it to be problems with ALL cars, is not respectful in some minds.

Glad your older Alfa is reliable, most people's new Alfa's are reliable. Sorry yours wasn't, however don't mistake your experience for everyone's. It isn't everyone's, it isn't even the majority, which is why the Alfa dealers don't have enough experience to diagnose the problems. The cars are too new and most don't have issues so the dealers don't have experience solving the ones they see. According to recent surveys by Whatcar less then 20% of owner's experience problems of any kind...in any brand.

Enjoy boring and hope for reliable. Fact is all brands have cars with reliability problems, especially with batteries, the odds of getting one with problems doesn't even vary in any significant way from brand to brand. The only reason it seems worse with Alfa is the portrayal by magazines/bloggers and that most forums for other brands just remove the offending posts unless it's an established member or the OP presents proof of the problem to the moderators, which cuts down dramatically on the complaining. Not Alfa though.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi All.

This morning I parted with my 19 Quad. I had fun driving almost 15k miles in the last 3yrs. However I could not take it anymore!
I would like to summarize a few things that happened to me and were the main drivers of my divorce with the Stelvio quad.

Bought the car new in 2019. By far the most fun car I ever drove... no comparison. I drove some other fun german and italian cars in the past yet the quad was special, unique.
However unique were also the multiple issues with the car and the numerous trips to service. I have never, ever, took a car to the service department as many times as I did with the stelvio. To provide some context, in three years of Stelvio ownership, I took the car more times to service (not for regular maintenance but for issues) vs ownership of 6 cars in the previous 20yrs (!!). When I sat down and quantified the number of trips I made, it became clear something had to change. Even if most of the times the issues were minor (mainly lights popping up, engine light, throttle light etc), the lack of certainty of going on a trip with the stelvio away from alfa dealerships/service made driving the stelvio not fun anymore.
One thing I can say for certain is also that Alfa service is pretty bad here in the US (I experienced other Alfa service shops in Europe but I can't ship the car 7000 miles to check a few lights). The knowledge of the people working here is appalling and I've been to multiple Alfa service. They fix something and create new problems. Yes, everything was under warranty, but my time is not under warranty. Being away for half a day at the dealership so that they "TRY" to figure out what is going on is no way to live! resetting lights/software and then having the SAME issue happen again and again is not fun.
Obviously the Stelvio technology is pretty bad, the battery is crap... there's a weird chemistry between components that are more susceptible to random events than a pissed off wife can be. I knew that before buying it, but I didn't care about it back then I only cared about the engine and driving experience. However I do now, lights go on then off, then on again for no reason. A $90k car CANNOT have these issues! at least not on a recurring basis.
Basically nothing is wrong with my car according to service. nothing! LOL. yeah right.
in summary I think the quad was the most fun yet most unreliable car to drive. I would not recommend it to anyone (especially if outside warranty period) ....unless you are someone retired with time on your hands, extra $$ and you want a complicated life.
Hope this post doesn't offend current owners, but this is a quick summary of reality from my side... facts not fiction. I'm sure others are having different experiences but it's still a gamble to own one as I've read from multiple owners having the same experiences.

All the best.
What vehicle are you moving on to? Lots of good options to choose from.
Wishing you a happier ownership experience next time,
John

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lol y'all are rude AF. Especially about something you know is true (a quick use of the search function and there's many posts about the reliability of the quads, but you know that already).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can understand your frustration about your bad experience with your car, it sucks having to deal with unreasonable amount of trips to the dealer, I own a 19 quad as well, when I was teenager my great late father and uncle taught me how alfas need to be driven in their alfettas and gtvs , I drive the crap out of my quad and the besides the two oil changes , they replaced the battery twice, I agree their choice of batteries is ridiculous, the next time it dies I was promised a high end battery install, I have figured out that if you do not shut it down properly, it will leave all the electronics on and kill the battery beyond the point of recharging, cells inside the battery die. I know other users have had other issues, thankfully not I, this car needs to be driven hard in my opinion. It is quite possible you had a lemon, I bought a brand new corvette once and it was a lemon, they gave me back every penny, I would never discourage anyone from buying a vette, I think this stelvio quad is without question the best daily driver I have ever owned, it is literally in a class of its own forcing the likes of bmw, Mercedes, and porsche to improve their crossovers to compete with it, I hope your next car is without issue and you eventually feel better about stelvios , good luck !

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Quad
20 Posts
Lol y'all are rude AF. Especially about something you know is true (a quick use of the search function and there's many posts about the reliability of the quads, but you know that already).
You're missing the point. He joined to just piss in everyone's cereal. He added no specifics and was all opinion with zero help or insight. Thats being a troll.

Car forums are amazing. You post up about shaming sports car in the canyons and then pick up furniture on the way home, no one cares. But if I post up that my quad rumbles after not starting it for over a week, it flashes the check engine light and my dealer sucks balls. It would probably be a 3 year long thread. (all of the above is true btw, except the 3 year thing).

But I get it. thats why I don't post up about how much I love my quad and am glad that the dealer already replaced my battery with a AGM..

·
Registered
398 Posts
Your post was fine---respectful and honest. High marks for style, but some in here are just grading you on "technical difficulty." Sorry to see you go. Some folks just get more triggered than a progressive snowflake at a Jordan Peterson lecture. Anything contrary to their view is a troll. You know Alfa from your past. I hope you rejoin someday.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Funny I own and have owned so many high performance vehicles and find the Alfa to be a pleasure.

Only issue I ever see is when the car sits the battery runs down and that causes issues. Seems to be very Voltage sensitiv.

Trickle charger fixes this issue.

Best of luck with your next machine life is short pick one that you enjoy.

Ian

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don’t find OP offensive at all. He loved the car, he hated the ownership. I had something similar with a first model year of Volvo XC90. People of later model years had a much better car - no noise, no issues. Mine spent about 12 weeks in total in warranty work in the first 18months in sorting out niggles. It was never undriveable - squeaky brakes, knocking suspension, road noise, battery discharging. I always had an equivalent from the dealer and they collected and returned so my ownership experience was fine. I was unlucky but that was not helped by going for the early model year. also if dealership cannot just give you a decent loaner and figure out the issues it can be really frustrating - I value my time too.
OP, I’m curious why you are surprised by your local Alfa dealer if you have owned other Alfas. I think you should give a my20/21 a try if you love the car. A lot of issues have been sorted, dealers understand the platform better, there is a slight engine change and it is a bit more polished product now.
I would not blame you if you don’t want to take the risk again - your experience sounds really annoying.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Wow. Rather nasty comments towards someone venting frustration about his experience. I too sold my '18 Quad after multiple issues and frequent (over 5) visits via a tow truck to the dealer. I don't frequent as much here of late but it's nice to see the flock here are still so welcoming. :confused:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts