Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
NM-QV, I dont recall you being roasted when you sold yours. Perhaps because people were aware of who you were, what your issues were etc.
An out of nowhere post with nothing specific would likely get a nasty response on any forum for any make of any product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In a nutshell, the repeated issue was with the engine light and throttle control light popping up. it's not a sporadic issue as I have a friend that had the same issue with a 2018 giulia quad and I had the same with my 2019 stelvio. Also, browsing forums you get the idea that it's happening more than it should, to Stelvios as well as Giulias. So when ALFAOFFROAD says it's the way I drive (!).. well it could be... but likely it isn't the reason. And let's even say it is the reason... are you telling me that a car that costs close to 100k vibrates and shuts down in the middle of the road because of how someone drives?? is that a joke? like how to make it my fault when it clearly is Alfa's... unbelievable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don’t find OP offensive at all. He loved the car, he hated the ownership. I had something similar with a first model year of Volvo XC90. People of later model years had a much better car - no noise, no issues. Mine spent about 12 weeks in total in warranty work in the first 18months in sorting out niggles. It was never undriveable - squeaky brakes, knocking suspension, road noise, battery discharging. I always had an equivalent from the dealer and they collected and returned so my ownership experience was fine. I was unlucky but that was not helped by going for the early model year. also if dealership cannot just give you a decent loaner and figure out the issues it can be really frustrating - I value my time too.
OP, I’m curious why you are surprised by your local Alfa dealer if you have owned other Alfas. I think you should give a my20/21 a try if you love the car. A lot of issues have been sorted, dealers understand the platform better, there is a slight engine change and it is a bit more polished product now.
I would not blame you if you don’t want to take the risk again - your experience sounds really annoying.
I also value my time! I owned other Alfas but not in the US. the quad was my first alfa in the US. I think the dealer/service combo is one of the worst... imo the explanation can be found in the following - the quad is the ONLY alfa $$$ vehicle and there's not many around. other manufacturers like Audi, BMW, Merc have multiple sport products out there... and I think they are more resourceful when it comes to sorting out issues. I'm not saying those cars don't have issues... just that I always had a feeling the issue was looked after and they looked more competent. with the quad issues I had... these guys had NO clue. I think they are used to working on stelvios and fiat and giulias... but quads are different beasts. would you let a cessna pilot fly a boeing 747? that's the feeling I had every time... they didn't know what they were doing. it was beyond obvious.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So you got rid of the Stelvio and then decided to create an account in Stelvio forum and tell of your dissatisfaction.
Similarly, I joined a golf league after I decided I don't like playing golf but I know the other players will enjoy my negativity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So you got rid of the Stelvio and then decided to create an account in Stelvio forum and tell of your dissatisfaction.
Similarly, I joined a golf league after I decided I don't like playing golf but I know the other players will enjoy my negativity.
Consider it like an Amazon review Stellar. You don’t like it? Move along. You can still buy the product and recommend it.
I wish I had read of more people having my same issues before so at least I would have not persevered for months and would have gotten rid of the car sooner.
but it seems from some of the replies, including yours, it’s all rainbow and unicorns here and if someone had a bad experience he’s not welcome to share it. Then what’s the point of a forum in the first place? Lol
Anyway enjoy your car glad it worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Not sure why people are taking this personal like someone insulted their family member. He's pissed, vented, so what. I was pissed too. I guess my "pissed" off posts had more credence as I was a frequent member here and he's a troll?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Do you really not understand that auto manufacturers have been paying people to trash other brands since....well, pretty much since the second auto manufacturer started doing business, and competing with the first. The auto industry invented trolling. Ever heard of Tucker? How about the unintended acceleration BS Audi went through? That news story where GM pickups could explode? There are more examples.

There is a reason most forums require either proof of problems in the form of a repair order or that the poster is established as a member before the negative post, otherwise complaints without any constructive point are deleted. The more the brand has an accepted reputation for reliability..the better chance a forum post like this one gets deleted.

And no, just saying a vehicle has problems is not constructive. All car brands have problems, especially with batteries losing charge if the car isn't driven regularly, which then causes lights and other weirdnesses. Nothing constructive about blaming any one brand for problems experienced by all of them. Less of a point in trashing the tiny brands while giving a pass to the large one...actually, no..that does have a point. It makes everything worse. Toyota fixes the problem..it gets fixed for Alfa..but as long as we pretend Toyota doesn't have the problem ..it doesn't get fixed for anyone.

The world where b!tching is constructive is a world run by...well.... Personally I don't want to live in that world.

(It's true, the Stelvio does have issues with batteries dying that aren't caused by the driver but by component failures. These issues are documented on the forum and have been used by more than one person to solve thier problem when a dealer couldn't track it down. THAT, is the point of sharing problems..not pointless complaining. Don't know about you but I don't want to hear that from my loved ones, let alone some rando online, who may or may not even be a real person.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Omg this thread is ridiculous. The dealership network here is so bad that it's a literal industry joke, and yet y'all can't handle someone confirming that? Can I also confirm it, since I've been trying for days to get my leaking car into the dealership but they won't even answer the phone or call me back? Or, AM I JUST ANOTHER PAID INDUSTRY SHILL, LIKE ALL THE OTHER TROLLS ON THE INTERNET?!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
There is a difference between a bad dealer network, which no one argues about, and then equating such to a bad product. These 2 things do not equal each other. Simply put, no manufacturer of new cars makes a bad, or unreliable, product. None. Even consumer reports says that. Reliability is at an all time high.

Hopefully you get your car into the dealer soon..and assuming - like is common - the dealer doesn't know the problem/hasn't dealt with it before (because, again, rare car, most don't have problems, so dealers are inexperienced), maybe come on here and describe the issue along with the dealer's diagnosis or lack thereof, and very likely someone can, and will, help. Which is the point of an auto forum (along with generally talking about things you do in and to your car), not whatever all this is.

What seems ridiculous to some people is the idea that pointless complaining is worth defending. But those people are wrong, cause....why exactly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yep. I’m KGB.
Kia hired me to navigate Alfa forums and convince people to switch from the quad to a nice Sorento.
to all those that after reading my posts end up buying the memorable Kia model please mention my name at the dealership so they send my check.

now, Alfaoffroad… go google throttle control issues in stelvio and Giulia forums. Even non US ones… you read stories of people leaving the car at the dealership for weeks, repeatedly, and eventually getting rid of the car. One of them is on this thread too. He had my same issues. You could offer the best advice on the planet but if when I take the car to service at 3 different locations they have no clue , can’t find anything wrong, yet the problem persists…. Whatdo you expectpeople to do? Disassemble the engine of a quad with their wife over the weekend while watching YouTube DIY videos? Again, there’s a reason this car is almost 100k.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I did not take your post personally.
Not just here, but on many online forums, random people will pop up with their first post complaining and writing off the brand (cars, watches, knives, whatever)
There was no indication in your post that you have been a member here. I have had my Stelvio for 2 years, but have been a member at alfabb for 20 plus years and alfa owner since '98.
I wish you well, and hope you find what you are looking for.
Sorry that you had so many issues with your quad.
Lol there is no indication people do that here.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Do you really not understand that auto manufacturers have been paying people to trash other brands since....well, pretty much since the second auto manufacturer started doing business, and competing with the first. The auto industry invented trolling. Ever heard of Tucker? How about the unintended acceleration BS Audi went through? That news story where GM pickups could explode? There are more examples.

There is a reason most forums require either proof of problems in the form of a repair order or that the poster is established as a member before the negative post, otherwise complaints without any constructive point are deleted. The more the brand has an accepted reputation for reliability..the better chance a forum post like this one gets deleted.

And no, just saying a vehicle has problems is not constructive. All car brands have problems, especially with batteries losing charge if the car isn't driven regularly, which then causes lights and other weirdnesses. Nothing constructive about blaming any one brand for problems experienced by all of them. Less of a point in trashing the tiny brands while giving a pass to the large one...actually, no..that does have a point. It makes everything worse. Toyota fixes the problem..it gets fixed for Alfa..but as long as we pretend Toyota doesn't have the problem ..it doesn't get fixed for anyone.

The world where b!tching is constructive is a world run by...well.... Personally I don't want to live in that world.

(It's true, the Stelvio does have issues with batteries dying that aren't caused by the driver but by component failures. These issues are documented on the forum and have been used by more than one person to solve thier problem when a dealer couldn't track it down. THAT, is the point of sharing problems..not pointless complaining. Don't know about you but I don't want to hear that from my loved ones, let alone some rando online, who may or may not even be a real person.)
The same could be said of commenting on a thread regarding a vehicle (Quad) you don't even own. The facts are the '18 Quads (and into '19) had issues beyond battery. Too many posts here including my own to verify that. My car was towed 5 times in 2 years of ownership for the same issue. Countless posts on the same topic. In regards to that year in particular it is clearly not troll/brand bashing.

·
Registered
670 Posts
.... The only reason it seems worse with Alfa is the portrayal by magazines/bloggers and that most forums for other brands just remove the offending posts unless it's an established member or the OP presents proof of the problem to the moderators, which cuts down dramatically on the complaining. Not Alfa though.
I owned 60+ cars and been on audi, bmw, porsche, camaro, corvette, benz, lexus, and infiniti forums for 15 years and never seen complaints of breakdowns removed or vetted by moderators.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is a difference between a bad dealer network, which no one argues about, and then equating such to a bad product. These 2 things do not equal each other. Simply put, no manufacturer of new cars makes a bad, or unreliable, product. None. Even consumer reports says that. Reliability is at an all time high.

Hopefully you get your car into the dealer soon..and assuming - like is common - the dealer doesn't know the problem/hasn't dealt with it before (because, again, rare car, most don't have problems, so dealers are inexperienced), maybe come on here and describe the issue along with the dealer's diagnosis or lack thereof, and very likely someone can, and will, help. Which is the point of an auto forum (along with generally talking about things you do in and to your car), not whatever all this is.

What seems ridiculous to some people is the idea that pointless complaining is worth defending. But those people are wrong, cause....why exactly?
I have seen multiple posts on multiple threads of YOU, specifically, defending the dealer networks, just because you can't seem to handle when anyone complains about anything on these cars. When someone complains on here, they're not complaining about you. Y'all gotta stop taking this so personally.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep. I’m KGB.
Kia hired me to navigate Alfa forums and convince people to switch from the quad to a nice Sorento.
to all those that after reading my posts end up buying the memorable Kia model please mention my name at the dealership so they send my check.

now, Alfaoffroad… go google throttle control issues in stelvio and Giulia forums. Even non US ones… you read stories of people leaving the car at the dealership for weeks, repeatedly, and eventually getting rid of the car. One of them is on this thread too. He had my same issues. You could offer the best advice on the planet but if when I take the car to service at 3 different locations they have no clue , can’t find anything wrong, yet the problem persists…. Whatdo you expectpeople to do? Disassemble the engine of a quad with their wife over the weekend while watching YouTube DIY videos? Again, there’s a reason this car is almost 100k.
I have a brillant Idea ( at least my mom thinks so) show us the invoices.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Also had multiple posts trashing the dealer network. More posts trashing the dealer network. It isn't always the dealer's fault, though. Blame where blame is do, and expecting every tech to instantly know the answer to every problem simply isn't realistic.

To address this idea that myself or anyone who stands up for Alfa is being unreasonable or emotional. Yelling is shown through text by using all caps, yelling is also widely regarded as what happens when people get upset and begin getting emotional and out-of-control. Notice, who is, and is not, using all caps.

What isn't appreciated is the constant idea that anything which goes wrong with a few Alfas by definition goes wrong with every Alfa, and only with Alfa's, and every other brand better made. This is simply not true. Is every Alfa reliable? Nope. Is every Toyota reliable? Nope. Is the chance of getting an unreliable Alfa better than an unreliable Toyota? Not really, most surveys agree the difference is around 10%, which is also the margin of error. So the difference is - by definition - negligible. Which holds up through all auto reliability surveys and why, again, even the most critical of reliability surveys (Consumer Reports) agree that all cars are reliable now, with a small percentage of outliers. Which all brands have.

The real difference between Alfa and other brands has to do with volume. Toyota, and every other major car brand, sells more cars in a month then Alfa does in a year, so when the inevitable defects and early design/assembly issues happen the dealers see alot of cars very quickly allowing them to go through the trial and error process of finding widespread problems quickly and therefore releasing "fixes", quickly. There is more to it than that, however the principle holds. All car brands have the same problems Alfa does, however they also have more experience dealing with them due to larger volume of vehicles and therefore are able to repair and diagnose faster. The answer to this you may think is to call Alfa trash and support other manufacturers. I think the answer is to have some patience and realistic expectations, because while you think it's bad to support Alfa due to the various problems, I think it's bad to support anyone else due to the half-ass chassis development and numb driving experience. Alfa can improve thier dealers and knowledge base alot faster than other manufacturers can improve their vehicle chassis'.

Glad you haven't seen it BHVDR. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Again, do this for a living, for more than 15 years, might have seen a few things you haven't. Same could be said about what you do for a living no doubt. Regardless, know what I'm saying happens, varies from forum to forum and some brands/forums are worse about it than others, still happens. Same thing with paid trolling, which also happens, just like unpaid trolling. Best way to guarantee you don't get called a troll is to not change your name if you're a pre-existing member.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lol no matter how many times you post or how many words you write about it trying to come up with excuses or rationalize it, it's not going to change his actual experience. No matter how much you ad hominem attack someone just because you disagree with them is also not going to change their actual experience. I am literally having trouble finding a post right now where someone has complained about something and you haven't responded with anecdotal rationalization. You even try it when faced with actual data (like CR reliability and such, which isn't perfect but is sure as hell a lot more accurate than your single-car anecdotal experience). Then, when that doesn't work, you call people trolls, or tell them they're not real car enthusiasts and to go buy a Toyota. I have never seen behavior like this on any other auto forum, but what do you care? I'm sure you'll have some other BS rationalization of your actions that allows you to feel good about attacking someone who has literally been living through a nightmare with a 6-figure car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think these cars have questionable reliability, especially the QVs. I knew that going in but decided I'd assume the risk. So far, so good, but you're going to come across a few people that have had bad experiences. I guess how those people express their experiences is important. People love their alfas, sometimes like family! So I can see why reactions here have been visceral. I got mine at the very tail end of August from Strongsville. It has 2,250 miles on it already (yikes, 62 mile daily commute), and I love it so far. I am VERY acquainted with the gas station.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can only say that from my experience when the warning lights come on...i ignore them and they go away. Mine hasnt been back to the dealer since i bought it in 18. My wife drives it to Las Vegas and Los Angeles on a regular basis and every 3rd of 4th trip it decides to light up a bunch of warnings for no reason which go away on the next restart. It probably shouldnt do that but it seems to be inherent in the software as I see its not uncommon. Thought a new AGM battery would fix the issue and it did seem to help. I started driving back in the carburetor and early smog control era and those cars were all horrible, guess thats why these minor glitches dont faze me. Seems like a lot of fuss over minor issues.
So much better than the Mini Cooper S that actually broke down and couldnt be driven on a regular basis.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts