Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which product do you have and how would you rate it?
When my car finally arrives I will probably go with the GOPedal Bluetooth option because I can hide the module for a clean interior look. With my tuner car, I’m little tired of seeing the different modules that I have in my car because it sticks out like a sore thumb. Most of my build has been custom made to look stock but I have two devices that I didn’t prioritize to hide and now it’s a little annoying. Especially when thieves look inside my car. I don’t need my Stelvio to look like a tuner car.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you tell me what they are and why they are a must have, then I can give you my two cents. LOL
Haha
I found them on this site.
The biggest selling feature for me is that they disable the signal to your throttle. So even if the car is on, a thief won’t be able to drive it away. Unless he knew what was in the car because it is simple to fix.

It also adjusts throttle response.
So 1% from the module would = 10% more throttle from what I understand. In layman’s terms it doesn’t give you more power but what it does do is give you less lag in throttle. It also works in the reverse if you want to be more eco friendly.

Here are the site
https://shopeurocompulsion.net/coll...ts/euro-drive-pedal-pro-fiat-124-applications

And

https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-A...telvio-madness-gopedal-plus-bluetooth-pid7527

·
Registered
241 Posts
I looked at GoPedal Plus. I wouldn't use either product on a $50,000 car. I am satisfied with the throttle response in the D mode on the DNA selector. I may be a luddite, but I feel there is always some guy selling the electronic version of snake oil.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I looked at GoPedal Plus. I wouldn't use either product on a $50,000 car. I am satisfied with the throttle response in the D mode on the DNA selector. I may be a luddite, but I feel there is always some guy selling the electronic version of snake oil.

LMAO!!

Haha
I found them on this site.
The biggest selling feature for me is that they disable the signal to your throttle. So even if the car is on, a thief won’t be able to drive it away. Unless he knew what was in the car because it is simple to fix.

It also adjusts throttle response.
So 1% from the module would = 10% more throttle from what I understand. In layman’s terms it doesn’t give you more power but what it does do is give you less lag in throttle. It also works in the reverse if you want to be more eco friendly.

Here are the site
https://shopeurocompulsion.net/coll...ts/euro-drive-pedal-pro-fiat-124-applications

And

https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-A...telvio-madness-gopedal-plus-bluetooth-pid7527
Making a vehicle theft proof is a whole other discussion.

Ok so first, the only way you get less lag on a turbo is when the turbo has spooled up already. If i understand this properly when the car is at idle it will run at a much higher RPM than it needs to, which is really bad in cold starts. And when coasting on the highway, lets say on the "d" selection of the dna selector, the turbo is spooled up for no reason at all. Sounds like it will wear your engine prematurely.

Second, you will throw the fuel consumption way out of whack, which will effect the ECU as well. Won't it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From my understanding this does affect idle because you are not on the gas which opens up the throttle

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
as far as I am aware, go pedals and sprint boosters, all they do is simulate you pressing the pedal faster / make it more sensitive. They don't do anything you can do already by simply pushing the pedal down a little further or faster.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You are somehow pre-loading the turbo to take out the lag. It doesn't seem like its done thru the PSI boost so i would think it has something to do with the throttle body. At any rate you will be messing with the ECU.

Maybe the people from "Madness autoworks" can throw a few lines in here for an explanation.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
You are somehow pre-loading the turbo to take out the lag. It doesn't seem like its done thru the PSI boost so i would think it has something to do with the throttle body. At any rate you will be messing with the ECU.
see my post above, I don't believe there is any truth to any of this. You are simply changing the distance the pedal needs to be pushed to reach the "floor", aka at full "sport" mode, at half the physical distance to the floor the gopedal is telling the ecu that the pedal is all the way to the floor.

except for the specific case of a variable geometry turbo, it is physically impossible to "pre-load" any turbo by doing anything other than increasing engine RPMs and/or engine load. higher load at the same RPM will generate additional exhaust gas which will increase the turbo speed, and higher RPMs generate additional exhaust gases which increase turbo RPM. That describes the entirety of every possible way that exists to increase the turbo RPM on any fixed geometry turbo.

We have a twin scroll fixed geometry turbo. The twin scroll setup means it is more responsive to the changes I just described so it will spin up with less lag, but it still relies on the same exact method to spin up as a more traditional single scroll fixed geometry turbo.

Variable geometry turbos have movable vanes inside the turbo housing to achieve a similar effect to being more sensitive and quick to spin up to how the twin scroll turbo does, but unlike the twin scroll it is possible to adjust the vanes just before an increase in RPM or load (if somehow the ECU knows it's coming) and provide a moment of artificial extra boost to spin up the turbo even quicker with less lag, but at the added cost of more moving parts in the turbo that can wear out.

not one of these methods has ANYTHING to do with the accelerator pedal, nor can the pedal affect this even if you wanted it to, outside the one method of simply pushing the pedal down to accelerate the vehicle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Maybe the people from "Madness autoworks" can throw a few lines in here for an explanation.
I agree with saildrive. It connects directly to your pedal and no where else. It can’t tell your ecu anything or change any parameters of the tuning. All it is doing is changing the throttle response. So when press the pedal and it is set at sport, it is telling your pedal to open the throttle faster. If it is in eco even though you press on the pedal hard it will only open the throttle slowly. If that make sense.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think with my comment about lag confused the understanding of what this does. When meant lag in throttle I meant on how fast it opens ie how much you floor your pedal and how fast you do it with your foot.

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I think with my comment about lag confused the understanding of what this does. When meant lag in throttle I meant on how fast it opens ie how much you floor your pedal and how fast you do it with your foot.
so instead of spending the $ on the go pedal, just move your foot more, it does the same thing! :grin

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
so instead of spending the $ on the go pedal, just move your foot more, it does the same thing!
Not really. Lol

From factory having your foot all the way down as quick as you can doesn’t mean you are getting 100% throttle response. That is why devices like this are made. Now I have never played with one of these because my system is a complete stand alone and all my adjustments are done by my laptop including fuel maps and such. But it makes sense on how you would get better throttle responses then what you can create with you foot. Hahaha

·
Registered
508 Posts
Not really. Lol

From factory having your foot all the way down has quick as you can doesn’t mean you are getting 100% throttle response. That is why devices like this are made.:wink Now I have never played with one of these because my system is a complete stand alone and all my adjustments are done by my laptop including fuel maps and such. But it makes sense on how you would get better throttle responses then what you can create with you foot. Hahaha

LOL ....

let us know what you decide and update this thread as you go along, preferably with pictures! Thanks

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Not really. Lol

From factory having your foot all the way down has quick as you can doesn’t mean you are getting 100% throttle response. That is why devices like this are made. Now I have never played with one of these because my system is a complete stand alone and all my adjustments are done by my laptop including fuel maps and such. But it makes sense on how you would get better throttle responses then what you can create with you foot. Hahaha
yes really, because the pedal doesn't control throttle responses, the ECU does. The pedal simply tells the ECU what you've requested and the ECU controls the response. moving the pedal from 0% to 100% depressed with your foot with the ECU receiving the same 100% value is absolutely no different than you moving the pedal from 0% to 50% depressed with your foot and the ECU receiving a response of 100% depressed. The ONLY difference is how many milliseconds it takes you to go from 0-100 with your foot vs 0-50 with the go pedal / sprint booster multiplying the value the ECU is receiving.

the ONLY possible difference these devices can make is if 100% depressed on the pedal to the floor is not actually giving a 100% pedal command to the ECU programming. In that scenario the booster could technically unlock the theoretical equivalent of additional pedal travel past the floor itself. Other than that, it's simply making the pedal more sensitive by reducing the distance it requires to reach the 100% depressed command to the computer.

It is possible that a non linear mapping could be applied to the pedal position signal to account for different performance RPM levels of the engine (like where boost kicks in) to attempt to smooth out the relationship between pedal position and engine output, but the pedal wouldn't be able to do that well since it requires real time knowledge of the engine performance so anything done outside the ECU would simply be a guess. It could also make the first 10% of travel more sensitive but leave the remaining 90% of travel close to stock responsiveness (and with the last bit of travel thus doing nothing) to make the car feel more "jumpy" off the line, but I'm pretty sure that based upon the smoothness of the turbo engagement and lack of significant sudden boost feelings, plus the difference between D, N and A, the ECU on the Stelvio already does all of this.

·
Registered
508 Posts
yes really, because the pedal doesn't control throttle responses, the ECU does. The pedal simply tells the ECU what you've requested and the ECU controls the response. moving the pedal from 0% to 100% depressed with your foot with the ECU receiving the same 100% value is absolutely no different than you moving the pedal from 0% to 50% depressed with your foot and the ECU receiving a response of 100% depressed. The ONLY difference is how many milliseconds it takes you to go from 0-100 with your foot vs 0-50 with the go pedal / sprint booster multiplying the value the ECU is receiving.

the ONLY possible difference these devices can make is if 100% depressed on the pedal to the floor is not actually giving a 100% pedal command to the ECU programming. In that scenario the booster could technically unlock the theoretical equivalent of additional pedal travel past the floor itself. Other than that, it's simply making the pedal more sensitive by reducing the distance it requires to reach the 100% depressed command to the computer.

It is possible that a non linear mapping could be applied to the pedal position signal to account for different performance RPM levels of the engine (like where boost kicks in) to attempt to smooth out the relationship between pedal position and engine output, but the pedal wouldn't be able to do that well since it requires real time knowledge of the engine performance so anything done outside the ECU would simply be a guess. It could also make the first 10% of travel more sensitive but leave the remaining 90% of travel close to stock responsiveness (and with the last bit of travel thus doing nothing) to make the car feel more "jumpy" off the line, but I'm pretty sure that based upon the smoothness of the turbo engagement and lack of significant sudden boost feelings, plus the difference between D, N and A, the ECU on the Stelvio already does all of this.
I think the 2 products @DarioR is talking about, are a boost to what the factory ECU already does. Meaning they are enhancements beyond factory settings. :eek

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would consider having the one that you use on your smart phone to turn the throttle off. Would come in handy if I needed to park my Stelvio overnight or for a few days, like at an airport.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the 2 products @DarioR is talking about, are a boost to what the factory ECU already does. Meaning they are enhancements beyond factory settings.
If you were to add the max power device, this statement is true but I’m just talking about the gopedal. Digged up an email from madness on this when it come to the max power and gopedal. I asked how it would affect the 3 settings the car already has.

From Madness
“They work great independently but are even more effective together as the GoPedal allows you to access the increased performance from the MaxPower even faster. As for the settings, the factory settings still act the same and should be used exactly like you would if the car was not modified. The difference is that each level has more power and responsiveness from the start. The GoPedal can be increased or decreased in each mode as well to lower or increase your throttle response to your liking. These two modifications are by far our most popular additions to any vehicle we cover as MADNESS Autoworks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts