Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Stelvio bought new. 25,000 miles now. AC stopped. Repaired. AC stopped. Repaired. Dash fault lights and poor engine performance. Repaired. Dash fault lights. Poor engine performance then limp mode. Repaired.
Less than 2 years old and these kinds of problems for a $60,000 car!? Will sell it soon and never get another.

·
Registered
57 Posts
2020 Stelvio bought new. 25,000 miles now. AC stopped. Repaired. AC stopped. Repaired. Dash fault lights and poor engine performance. Repaired. Dash fault lights. Poor engine performance then limp mode. Repaired.
Less than 2 years old and these kinds of problems for a $60,000 car!? Will sell it soon and never get another.
As has been said repeatedly, lemons exist across all brands and models…even those costing far more than a Stelvio. You may have gotten one. Most have not had that experience.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It makes you wonder if it's the car or the person when they post something like.... "I tightened the gas cap and the hood then the warning light went off" I think my 18 y/o daughter knows better than to drive around with gas cap loose and hood partially open. Unless, of course, if you're 17 y/o....

Vito, instead of complaining like above, trade the car in. you will get an amazing value for your car right now. If you want attention, post something like... "Sexy male wanting to share my Stelvio with special someone" Then again you named yourself Vito.... poor thing....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 18 Guilia ti Lusso and a 22 Stelvio qv
Neither one has ever had a repair

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
21 Posts
All these “Negative Ned/Nancy” posts are actually Audi/Mercedes/Lexus owners bashing Alfa Romeo? J/K. Seriously, can we get their posts removed from this forum or moved to a section called the Complaint/Whiners/Haters Department and not shown on main feed? My 2018 Sport Ti has been a lot of fun with zero problems. My 2010 Honda Element has had a slew of issues but I still enjoy it and don’t bash it on Element Owners forum. Haters are gonna hate, as they say.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
A significant portion of the automotive market considers trashing Alfa reliability to be a game.

Hard to get people to stop playing it when it's something they have been doing for 30 years.... Even when Alfa wasn't selling cars in the US. So yeah... Some people do, only want to trash AR. People don't do that with Hondas because Honda owner don't tolerate it.... Alfa owners have traditionally been less self-confident.

However.... I would like to say thank you to the people who have finally come around and realized these are as good as any car on the market.

Really nice not being basically the only person saying these cars are reliable anymore... Do find it funny that some of the people who a year or more ago were constantly getting on me as if I was a jerk and an uninformed idiot for defending AR's reliability... Now do the same thing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Lol not sure I would call these reliable, still. No more or less than anything else European. And, there's a very big difference between saying "mine has been reliable" and "if yours isn't reliable you're driving it wrong".

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Would you call a Toyota reliable?

Cause they can't keep their wheels on the cars. Toyota recalls all its bZ4X electric cars over wheels potentially falling off

Then other models are self destructing the waistgates for over a year with no fix... Literally ever car brand to launch a ground up all new model since 2018 (when Alfa did the same thing) has had more problems and more major recalls then Alfa has.

Alfas are as good as anyone.. better than some. Alot better

·
Registered
704 Posts
The OP of this thread posted in new member introduction and also this person once thanked someone in our forum because the warning light went away because he didn't tighten the gas cap and close the hood properly. What does that tell me? Probably a Ferrari salesman trying to scare people away? No, more like RAV4 or CRV, and possibly RDX sales person to scare potential alfa buyer. That's my opinion...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Would you call a Toyota reliable?

Cause they can't keep their wheels on the cars. Toyota recalls all its bZ4X electric cars over wheels potentially falling off

Then other models are self destructing the waistgates for over a year with no fix... Literally ever car brand to launch a ground up all new model since 2018 (when Alfa did the same thing) has had more problems and more major recalls then Alfa has.

Alfas are as good as anyone.. better than some. Alot better
Great. How do you think posts like this make people whose Alfas have grenaded feel?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Misery loves company?

Or maybe that things could be worse.....even with a brand universally recognized as being the "most reliable" brand to exist?

Rather have my oil pump go out at 40k or 80k miles, or random electrical issues, or pretty much any "Alfa" problem you want to name,
then have the front wheels come off the car while driving...on a car so new one of the largest volume manufactuers in the world froze sales before even 500 of the model sold... And is now offering a buyback because they can't seem to fix the problem...of keeping the wheels on a car. That is an extreme example...could make less extreme ones with every model of brand of car made. As the above member said... Thier Alfa has been more reliable then thier Honda...that isn't uncommon.

Not trying to make a joke.

Every brand has cars that "grenade", such phenomena is not unique to Alfa.

Regardless when you look at all the various issues being experienced by new cars right now...... Alfa is not the problem, is actually better then most.

That would be most brand new, ground up, new engine, new chassis, new brake system, new factory, etc models launched since 2018. Less recalls, less severe recalls, less reports of catastrophic failures. Even the battery issues .... Our problems are better then what Honda drivers are experiencing with the ASS system turning off the engine at a stop light.. only for the battery to die, leaving the car dead in the middle of a lane with traffic behind it.

Every brand has problems.

Alfa's really aren't that bad.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
And pretending that by purchasing a different brand a person is guarenteed a better ownership experience is?

Not like your first post was supportive of that perspective.

Maybe... Just maybe what might help is having realistic expectations regardless of brand. Because... As-is the point of pointing out issues with other cars....catastrophic problems happen. Every day. multiple times a day... To every automotive brand.

Realistic is... About 20% of all cars manufactured have problems regardless of who manufactuers them. If your car falls into the probem catagory, either fix it or get rid of the vehicle. Then hope your next car is part of the 80% that don't have problems, understanding that buying a different brand doesn't guarentee that any better then buying the same brand.

If anyone is really that concerned with your new car not having problems go over it like a used car. Literally to the point of having it inspected by a third party before buying it. Not being sarcastic, being totally serious. Whatever brand.. take that brand new car and get it inspected to make sure nothing was screwed up by the factory and it was assembled correctly. Then do a search for how many recalls the vehicle has had and what for...if any of the recalls are currently open with no fix available. This will do more to protect you then blindly buying a brand name.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti Alfa white with Chocolate interior, premium package.
235 Posts
The decisional dilemma that confronts anyone with OPs experience for any car is this: Ditch the car, but assume I won the lemon lottery and simply replace in kind OR….ditch it and buy something else knowing full well I’d “be an idiot” to buy from the same brand that gave me so much grief..
In other words it’s an understandable reaction.

·
Registered
704 Posts
But at the same time, please study the basic understandings of how to operate a motor vehicle properly. Example, capping the gas cap and closing the hood tightly. These behaviors will also cause other brands to "malfunction" as well. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Not he vehicle, its the repair dept you keep visiting.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
A significant portion of the automotive market considers trashing Alfa reliability to be a game.

Hard to get people to stop playing it when it's something they have been doing for 30 years.... Even when Alfa wasn't selling cars in the US. So yeah... Some people do, only want to trash AR. People don't do that with Hondas because Honda owner don't tolerate it.... Alfa owners have traditionally been less self-confident.

However.... I would like to say thank you to the people who have finally come around and realized these are as good as any car on the market.

Really nice not being basically the only person saying these cars are reliable anymore... Do find it funny that some of the people who a year or more ago were constantly getting on me as if I was a jerk and an uninformed idiot for defending AR's reliability... Now do the same thing.
Some folks just get all bent out of shape when a BEAUTIFUL Alfa Romeo parks next to their Hideous excuse for automotive design.....usually german btw. The german ugly stick has been on a roll lately...awkward is usually my best compliment.

Reactions: ALFAOFFROAD

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a lemon Toyota (a Toyota!) in the 90s (MR2 Turbo), some electrical glitch several service departments could not diagnose, let alone fix. And I had a Mazda MX-5 Turbo that left me stranded - twice. So yeah, it happens to all manufacturers, even 'bullet-proof' Japanese cars. My 4C has been trouble free for over 5 years, and the Stelvio, only 6000 miles, has been perfect so far.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts