Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - :|. I’m certainly intrigued by the Stelio, and strongly considering it for my next vehicle. Through my driving experiences, I’ve yet to receive firm answers on a few items and was hoping the group could assist... Since this is a long laundry list, please let me know if I should be posting in other sections...

1) What are the “gripes/gremlins” with the Stelio? I see the Gulia had quite a few growing pains, and I’m wondering what issues members have experienced with the Stelio. I saw the post about how the Stelio is now more mature, and FCA has corrected many of this issues that were present with the Gulia.

2) Can the comfort access feature be disabled? (Not certain on the official title, how the drivers seat moves aft when you shut off the car to assist with exit/egress?) Concern is if I have a car seat in the rear, the driver’s seat will impede in removal of the infant carrier.

3). How’s Android Auto? Without issue? I received word that this feature is now available, and has been in production since the last week of December

4) Cruise Control (non-adaptive), coming from a BWM, the one feature I like is being able to increase/decrease speed in increments of 5mph. So if the PSL drops 10mph, I just click the speed down button 2x’s and my BWM scrubs off the speed via light application of the breaks. Other cars I’ve owned/driven you have to wait for the momentum to naturally die off (from various forms of friction)...

5). I saw a post with no reesolution, OEM trailer hitch? I believe the factory rating is 2K pounds, more than ample for my jet ski, however I’ve yet to see the hitch/wiring harness....

6). Any word on when the “idrive” like controller wil be touch sensitive? Its in the OM, but listed as an available feature.

7). Any knowledge of an aftermarket gear selector to replace the unrefined (hard plastic, with a a prominent crease at the top) OEM one?

8). Rear bumper applique? (A clear film, or the likes to protect the rear bumper as you are loaded/unloading the trunk).

9) Anyone wire a RD to the RVM? How difficult is this, as the Stevelio has significnat paneling around the RVM to conceal the numerous sensors...

10) How’s the upgraded sound system? During my test drive, it felt lacking fullness (mid’s/bass response didn’t fill the cabin, for reference in my BMW, I have the bass flat in the setting, treble tuned up and the sound is nice, filling, and crisp.

I know that’s a lot of questions, so any help in answering them would be appreciated. Trying to narrow down the choices as I look for my next vehicle. :|

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi and Welcome.
Boy you have a ton of questions that i don't think any ONE person can answer but i will attempt a few.

3.) There is a whole thread dedicated to this topic on the forum. Look for "Apple Car Play in Stelvio"
6.) No word on touch sensitive controller besides what you read in the features list. It would be NICE to either replace the knob or compliment it with touch sensitive device.
7.) Because the Stelvio sales are not in the high numbers yet, the aftermarket industry has not invested in many parts and up to now the selection has been minimal. So if by chance you do find and alternative gear selector please post it on the forum.
8.) Great idea. I would use the same material as is used for a clear bra in the front. Its laser cut, thicker and more durable than other films.
10.) The upgraded sound system is in my view disappointing, and deserves better for this class of car. Also keep in mind that people have different tastes.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Hello - :|. I’m certainly intrigued by the Stelio, and strongly considering it for my next vehicle. Through my driving experiences, I’ve yet to receive firm answers on a few items and was hoping the group could assist... Since this is a long laundry list, please let me know if I should be posting in other sections...

1) What are the “gripes/gremlins” with the Stelio? I see the Gulia had quite a few growing pains, and I’m wondering what issues members have experienced with the Stelio. I saw the post about how the Stelio is now more mature, and FCA has corrected many of this issues that were present with the Gulia.

2) Can the comfort access feature be disabled? (Not certain on the official title, how the drivers seat moves aft when you shut off the car to assist with exit/egress?) Concern is if I have a car seat in the rear, the driver’s seat will impede in removal of the infant carrier.

3). How’s Android Auto? Without issue? I received word that this feature is now available, and has been in production since the last week of December

4) Cruise Control (non-adaptive), coming from a BWM, the one feature I like is being able to increase/decrease speed in increments of 5mph. So if the PSL drops 10mph, I just click the speed down button 2x’s and my BWM scrubs off the speed via light application of the breaks. Other cars I’ve owned/driven you have to wait for the momentum to naturally die off (from various forms of friction)...

5). I saw a post with no reesolution, OEM trailer hitch? I believe the factory rating is 2K pounds, more than ample for my jet ski, however I’ve yet to see the hitch/wiring harness....

6). Any word on when the “idrive” like controller wil be touch sensitive? Its in the OM, but listed as an available feature.

7). Any knowledge of an aftermarket gear selector to replace the unrefined (hard plastic, with a a prominent crease at the top) OEM one?

8). Rear bumper applique? (A clear film, or the likes to protect the rear bumper as you are loaded/unloading the trunk).

9) Anyone wire a RD to the RVM? How difficult is this, as the Stevelio has significnat paneling around the RVM to conceal the numerous sensors...

10) How’s the upgraded sound system? During my test drive, it felt lacking fullness (mid’s/bass response didn’t fill the cabin, for reference in my BMW, I have the bass flat in the setting, treble tuned up and the sound is nice, filling, and crisp.

I know that’s a lot of questions, so any help in answering them would be appreciated. Trying to narrow down the choices as I look for my next vehicle. :|
1) mostly related to parking sensors on in park, and car play support. dig through the forum a bit and you'll find it all documented.
2) Yes I believe it can be, I'm pretty sure there is an option.
3) sore subject on here for many, so far I don't think anyone has seen it working yet in the live, however the lack of it doesn't really bother me personally.
4) it has the 1mph/5mph option based on a double detent in the adjuster dial, soft click=1mph, hard click to 2nd detent=5mph, you'll be happy with it.
5) best advice so far is order the car with the hitch. Hitch is a factory option but no one (reportedly) yet has installed an aftermarket or dealer installed hitch.
6) appears the touch function may be limited to the QV model when it comes out, none yet shipped are touch sensitive.
7) there's a company Madness Motorworks that sells a carbon fiber veneer for it, that's all I'm aware of.
8) any company that does the film should be able to do this
9) RD/RVM? don't know what you mean
10) bass sucks, even in the HK system. see http://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/9...sion-forum/3369-hk-stereo-system-quality.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Marco & @SailDrive Thanks for your responses. My opinion of the HK system was subpar based on my expectations & the stock system appeared to substantial less desirable acoustically, but I didn’t know other’s experience (and if maybe I just sampled a “dud”). Also, in the OM it indicates a mid-tier system which I haven’t seen offered yet (it appears to be similiar to the HK system but with 450w vs 900w - figured it might be a better value for the dollar - if I could determine if its an actual option).

As for #2, if you can verify that would be great. The sales associate’s response was, it can’t be disabled in the Gulia, so probably the same in the Stelevio. I will review the suggested topic (I ignored it, as I thought it may only be Apple Play focused, and I have an Andriod), the sales associate showed me an email from the local regional rep, which stated that as of X date in December the vehicles produced were Car Play/Andriod Auto capable.

As for #4, Good to know. when you reduce your speed by increments of 5, does the Stelio apply the breaks some, or do you coast until that speed is achieved?

#6 - QV model? Sorry I do not follow...

#9 - RD = Radar Dector; RVM = Rear View Mirror. I use a product called “MirrorTap” for a clean looking install, and it is powered by the power cable that runs to most autodimming RVMs.
https://www.amazon.com/MirrorTap-RJ...TF8&qid=1515878927&sr=8-2&keywords=Mirror+tap

Thanks again, and I will keep reading up. :)

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
#2 I'll try to remember to look for the option this afternoon.
#4 coast or downshift. In Dynamic mode the Stelvio is not afraid to downshift like a person would driving a manual transmission to control speed, it's one of the things I love about the way it's setup. There is even a rapid auto downshift mode in the transmission (described in the owners manual) where you just hold the left paddle as you slow down and it'll keep aggressively downshifting as your speed decreases.
#6 QV is the abbreviation often used for the Quadrifoglio model. QF or Qf would make more sense to me, but QV is commonly used for some reason that is entirely lost on me.
#9 good luck. my dealer offered a hidden detector installed as a dealer option for only $1500, I passed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding #4 - was unaware of rapid auto downshift mode. Seems to be even more of a reason to spec the Sport model. How are the seats on longer journeys? Of the 3 I’ve test driven, only one was a TI Sport, and the thigh bolstering was snugger than expected. By no means am I a large person (5-6, 32ish waist), just wasn’t certain how the seat would feel after a 2-3 hour trip. I currently have the sport seats in the bumper, and love ‘em.

Thanks for the QV clarification, and for looking into #2. Depending on the dector they offered, that could have been a good deal, or an overpriced annoyance.

Another question: Reading the OM’s it appears as if 87 octane can be used, which shocked me based upon the output of a 2.0L! What do the majority run? Anyone use regular and notice performance issues (most other manufactures who have Turbo’ed engines provide 2 different outputs based upon octane used - Mazda CX-9 & Hyundai’s Genesis coupe are two that come to mind).

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Regarding #4 - was unaware of rapid auto downshift mode. Seems to be even more of a reason to spec the Sport model. How are the seats on longer journeys? Of the 3 I’ve test driven, only one was a TI Sport, and the thigh bolstering was snugger than expected. By no means am I a large person (5-6, 32ish waist), just wasn’t certain how the seat would feel after a 2-3 hour trip. I currently have the sport seats in the bumper, and love ‘em.

Thanks for the QV clarification, and for looking into #2. Depending on the dector they offered, that could have been a good deal, or an overpriced annoyance.

Another question: Reading the OM’s it appears as if 87 octane can be used, which shocked me based upon the output of a 2.0L! What do the majority run? Anyone use regular and notice performance issues (most other manufactures who have Turbo’ed engines provide 2 different outputs based upon octane used - Mazda CX-9 & Hyundai’s Genesis coupe are two that come to mind).
sport seats are great, I've done two road trips so far, each around 3 hours each way, no issues at all with them.

According to Alfa, 87 octane can NOT be used in our engines. 91 octane is the minimum. I run 93 most of the time because 91 is hard to find here in Connecticut. I suspect the 93 gives a few extra ponies too. As for the CX-9, it runs 17psi (1.17 bar) of boost and the Genesis runs 14psi of boost, our engines run 22psi (1.52 bar). That's a big difference, I'm not aware of any engine setup running 20+ psi of boost that can run worth a **** on 87 octane, if it can even do so without blowing itself up from excessive knock.

Reactions: Driver1

·
Registered
763 Posts
Per my owners manual on page 214: “ this engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded regular gasoline having a posted octane number of 87 as specified by the (r+m) /2 method. For optimal performance the use of 91 or higher octane premium gasoline is recommended in these engines”. It goes on to cover what to watch out for, check out your owners manual just in case they changed something.

·
Registered
536 Posts
at least in the US all cars have to be tuned to run on 87 octane,
but as the manual says you won't get optimum performance.
According to Alfa, 87 octane can NOT be used in our engines. 91 octane is the minimum. I run 93 most of the time because 91 is hard to find here in Connecticut. I suspect the 93 gives a few extra ponies too. As for the CX-9, it runs 17psi (1.17 bar) of boost and the Genesis runs 14psi of boost, our engines run 22psi (1.52 bar). That's a big difference, I'm not aware of any engine setup running 20+ psi of boost that can run worth a **** on 87 octane, if it can even do so without blowing itself up from excessive knock.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
2) Can the comfort access feature be disabled? (Not certain on the official title, how the drivers seat moves aft when you shut off the car to assist with exit/egress?) Concern is if I have a car seat in the rear, the driver’s seat will impede in removal of the infant carrier
Settings -> Doors -> Passive Entry -> On/Off

Reactions: Driver1

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
at least in the US all cars have to be tuned to run on 87 octane,
but as the manual says you won't get optimum performance.
I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. They might be required to function on 87, but they definitely aren't all tuned for 87. Considering some Audi's are known to knock on 87 so bad they'll blow the motor in short order i don't think the first part is even correct. Certainly most mfr's will have incentive to ensure the car won't fail on 87, I suspect it's more about dealing with warranty claims than it is regulation.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Waiting for after-market trailer hitch.
Sport seats are very comfortable on long drives.
HK audio is okay, not superb- but none of the cars I've owned has had a "great" audio system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for the feedback. @LC_LC that was the section of the OM I was referencing. I seriously doubt I would run 87, do to the high compression engine, but was just wondering. If I know I have a long haul on the highway, I will occasionally run a tank of 89 in my car, otherwise its always 93. Never experienced a pinging issue, and reduced performance is generally not noticed when maintaining highway speeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts