Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

H&R lowering springs (1.6”)

21K views 63 replies 13 participants last post by  NM-QV 
#1 ·
Just got it lowered today. Love the look. Ride is just the same handling noticeably better.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I've joined the club adding the H&R springs. Very nice. Rear camber seems more negative than before. To be expected.

#4 · (Edited)
I have also joined the H&R springs crew today. I was trying to decide between the H&R springs and the Madness springs. I originally wanted to go for a "wagon" look but the more time I spent with the Stelvio QV stock the more I loved the way it already was- a batshit crazy SUV. I did not want to take away from that, and I have heard the Madness springs are just a little aggressive and I really did not want to make the ride quality worse. So I went with H&R.

The drop is perfect and makes the car look like how it was supposed to stock. The ride on the relatively rough San Diego roads is a little worse- the hard dampers on RACE are a straight-up no-go now, whereas before they used to be tolerable. The soft dampers are supple but highway expansion joints are a little more pronounced. I wonder if this could be me paying closer attention to the ride- I asked my wife if she noticed a difference and she said no...

The very mild "floaty" feeling I always got in combination with the quick steering rack is 100% gone. This car feels like a jacked up go-kart. I don't know how the Madness springs compare to these but I would not want to trade any more ride quality for any more increase in handling and looks in daily use and comfort.

(Also. I got the Forza controller installed at the same time. Between the Forza and the H&R I believe I have reached the perfect -stock- setup. Love. This. Car.)

Attachments

#11 ·
Just pulled trigger on H&R quad springs.

did anyone need to do an “alignment of the safety system” after install?

I was quoted by a dealership and they included a line item for that, quite a bit of money. Local shops (including those with Alfa experience) are not quoting that as part of expense.

I’m worried that maybe some weird sensor or software stuff related to auto brakes or smart cruise is tied to ride height and only dealer knows? I know this sounds fanciful, and want to be told I can just pat one of the local shops to do spring install for $400ish. Can someone tell me not to worry?

thanks!

#12 ·
Hmm it's possible the "radar" might be looking at a different angle now due to the ride height change and the system needs to be reset. I know with my GTI when I lowered it you had to do a reset of the headlight level and the motors would reset themselves to the appropriate level, etc. So maybe its something similar to that to the radar/camera it uses.

I would check the giulia forums (more commonly lowered) and see if anyone else mentioned something similar after lowering their cars that has the adapative cruise and all the safety features

#18 ·
H&R Springs being installed on quad as we speak. Very excited, thank you all again for your help and input

Reactions: lost1750GTV
#21 ·
After

Sorry, car is filthy. Trofeo Bianco problems... At some point we’ll take some proper glam shots. These are the technicals

Reactions: lost1750GTV
#22 ·
I suspect the springs are still settling, but the springs have effectively removed the “sarcastically on-stilts high “ ride height issue optically. The functional/actual ride height remains a very healthy 6.3”.

I would say that the ride firmness has increased noticeably, which I like. Correspondingly, the weight transfer is tidier, and there’s is less pitch/dive/roll, not that there was a ton previously.

Neither steering feedback nor turn-in sharpness has been dulled.

Reactions: Spamthechan
#26 · (Edited)
I think full dynamic is now nearly as stiff as Stock race was, and dynamic set to softer damper mode is perhaps equivalent to stock full dynamic.

the difference in stiffness between N and dynamic in soft damper mode is hard to say, because I so rarely venture into the realms below D on soft.

Full race mode is now not playing around. Feels appropriate for track use. (Would love to try madness 2.5” lowering springs in race!) I don’t mind super firm if roads are decent, but it’s for real. Race mode in mid damper I havent had a chance to try much.

#30 ·
So I’m having alignment done to correct for the negative camber introduced by lowering springs.

I felt like the rear wheels in particular looked a bit “stance-y” which... is not my style.

the dealership also updated my software to 090.xxx.xxx, along with submodule firmware.

apparently while updating the “amp” crashed, which they also replaced under warranty.

not sure what they are considering the amp, but we’ll find out shortly.

I’ll keep everyone posted on post-alignment handling. Hoping new amp/stereo gets better Fm reception!

#31 ·
I agree with the rear stance. Sadly the rear camber is not adjustable. Yet. I've been told by Alfa 9 that there are upper rear adjustable control arms in the works for the Stelvio. I've also heard (but not comfirmed) that the adjustable rear control arms currently available from Madness for the Guilia will work on the Stelvio.

Reactions: dwroman55
#37 ·
This would be interesting.

the Alfa dealer tech did seem to dial out a solid/noticeable amount of camber on both front and rear.

looks pretty clean and stock now, Just a bit lower, with the associated physics advantages, which was always goal.

here are wheels post-alignment:

#32 · (Edited)
cleaner tri-coat trofeo in direct sunlight!

one of these things is not like the other...

In my opinion, this should’ve been the stock ride height:

#33 ·
Well yes, and it looks good. But if it were lower the people who bought it for snow duty or country estate access etc would be complaining. Maybe Not good for an suv.
Same thing on the giulia forum, some complaining they can't get onto their driveway without planks etc etc, and others lowering it.
The factory changed spring height to address scraping problems/complaints, then reverted to prior height to address visual complaints. Maybe I got that backwards, but no matter what they do half the people will prefer the other.

#34 ·
My dilemma. Looks great and makes it a hot hatch/wagon, but winter practicality and ride comfort are the counter. Personally, I think its spot on as you set it up. Spacers will be a bridge too far IMHO. Stelvios look great in white!!!

Reactions: KZquad18
#35 ·
I’m not considering spacers. I think I’m all set with suspension mods.

camber adjustment arms if available would be interesting.

now just need that un-resonated mid-pipe!

#40 ·
I don't see them either now. They were under Guilia at Madness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.