Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bottoming of the suspension would be the reason I may be able to resist this very tempting mod.

I prefer and generally run the softer valving as lost1750GTV states above on typical country roads and I have bottomed mine out once on an abrupt dip / pothole (not square edged) and it was pretty harsh.

Maybe the firmer valving settings would have prevented or reduced it but it has me second guessing these lowering springs on mine for certain.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We have some crappy roads here in NM. I've never had issues. It drives better, handles better. And looks better lowered IMO. A bit stiffer to be sure. But not jarring in anyway. Feels and drives like a tuned sports car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Anyone who put the H&R springs on their Quadrifoglio recall how the springs themselves were labelled? Box is labelled 28697-3 but all the springs in the box are labelled 28697-2, which I believe is fitment for standard Stelvio.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think I answered my own question.

H&R doesn't have a photo of the Quadrifoglio set on their site but they do have a picture of the standard Stelvio 28697-2 set which shows two springs labelled 28697-1VA for front and two springs labelled 28697-2HA for rear.

The 28697-3 kit I received has the same rear springs but the front springs are labelled 28697-2VA so I believe the difference between the two kits is just the front springs and that I should be good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey friends, I’m planning on doing lowering springs when I switch back to summer tires in the spring.

I’m trying to choose between the H&R 1.6” drop and the Madness 2.5” drop.

Does anyone live near NYC? I’d the thrilled to buy lunch for the opportunity to test drive a car with the springs, would happily meet wherever was easiest.

My biggest concern is the camber and travel penalty associated with the more extreme drop. Can anyone confirm that their car never rubs with stock wheels/tires?

finally, has there been any noticeable loss of steering feedback with progressive rate springs? Thanks!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey friends, I’m planning on doing lowering springs when I switch back to summer tires in the spring.

I’m trying to choose between the H&R 1.6” drop and the Madness 2.5” drop.

Does anyone live near NYC? I’d the thrilled to buy lunch for the opportunity to test drive a car with the springs, would happily meet wherever was easiest.

My biggest concern is the camber and travel penalty associated with the more extreme drop. Can anyone confirm that their car never rubs with stock wheels/tires?

finally, has there been any noticeable loss of steering feedback with progressive rate springs? Thanks!!
I went with the H&R and glad I did. Height sits where I would expect a performance SUV to sit. The ride is great and not jarring by any means, just a tad bit firmer. I can say its comparable to a Pista, 720, or Aventador in their respective dynamic modes. The 2.5" will tax the entire suspension quite a bit more which can have adverse effects down the road (these shocks are over a grand each) as well as the harshness which can make the ride uncomfortable for your passengers more so than you even if you can tolerate a firmer ride.

HTH.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I went with the H&R and glad I did. Height sits where I would expect a performance SUV to sit. The ride is great and not jarring by any means, just a tad bit firmer. I can say its comparable to a Pista, 720, or Aventador in their respective dynamic modes. The 2.5" will tax the entire suspension quite a bit more which can have adverse effects down the road (these shocks are over a grand each) as well as the harshness which can make the ride uncomfortable for your passengers more so than you even if you can tolerate a firmer ride.

HTH.
thank you for your thoughts and photos.

After reading more about the multi link set up, I’m leaning toward the 1.6”. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying the ride quality. My wife and I share the car as a somewhat daily, and while I wouldn’t mind a much stiffer ride, she very likely would. She’s also 7 months pregnant, so....

Anyway, I have the same color combo as you, it looks great in the snow! Arctic camo with black boots

have a good day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
thank you for your thoughts and photos.

After reading more about the multi link set up, I’m leaning toward the 1.6”. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying the ride quality. My wife and I share the car as a somewhat daily, and while I wouldn’t mind a much stiffer ride, she very likely would. She’s also 7 months pregnant, so....

Anyway, I have the same color combo as you, it looks great in the snow! Arctic camo with black boots

have a good day.
Happy to help... I don’t think she will notice any adverse effect in the ride quality.. Hope to get some more pics when the weather cooperates a bit but yea, it does look badass in the snow!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just pulled trigger on H&R quad springs.

did anyone need to do an “alignment of the safety system” after install?

I was quoted by a dealership and they included a line item for that, quite a bit of money. Local shops (including those with Alfa experience) are not quoting that as part of expense.

I’m worried that maybe some weird sensor or software stuff related to auto brakes or smart cruise is tied to ride height and only dealer knows?
I know this sounds fanciful, and frankly just want to be reassured I can pay one of the local shops to do spring install for $400ish. Can someone tell me not to worry?

thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
update:

With the h&r springs installed, I pulled full 0.95g on the pirelli scorpion winter tires on a dry off ramp last week, per the built-in accelerometer in gauge cluster. rear axle didn't break up at all. e-lsd is an animal on the quad.

Can't wait to get summer rubber back on, see if we can post proof of a full lateral G. I believe more impressive numbers are actually possible, with the stock summer rubber and h&r springs.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts