Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 2.5 week trip to Italy. Spent most of my time in the Veneto region, but took a side trip to visit some friends that live in Bolate (outside Milan). Did the usual sightseeing in Milan (Il Duomo, Castello, Navigli, Pinoteca di Brera). One day my friend Daniel says "Hey, you're a fan of Alfa Romeo, Right?".....er....I own one....."There's an Alfa Romeo museum about 10 minutes from here in Arese."

What? Here? 10 Minutes from your apartment?

Now I knew there was an AR museum...but I just assumed it was connected to the factory in Cassino, or in Turin where Fiat is. OK....a visit to the museum is NOT optional and was put on the tour schedule for the next day.

What a happy surprise. The museum is VERY nicely done. There was a LOT on display, including aircraft engines, boats, concept cars, lots of car engines, and a full range of production cars back to 1912.. My two companions who are not "car people" agreed that the museum was impressive. There's even a nice cafe and gift shop!

So...if you're near Milan, and you have some wheels to get to Arese, I would consider it worth your time to get out there.

Attaching a few photos...

Font Gas Poster Advertising Brand
Automotive design Building Machine Space Metal
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Hood Vehicle Aircraft Automotive design Motor vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Grille
Automotive parking light Trousers Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Grille

·
Registered
746 Posts
Pic 11---the Alfa Army "Jeep" with scudetto in front. Cool. I guess Alfa and Jeep have been sharing parts for a while lol. Retired Army guy here, so of course it caught my attention.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pic 11---the Alfa Army "Jeep" with scudetto in front.
I found the use of the scudetto interesting to say the least..and i tried to capture that in some of pictures. There's a rule somewhere at AR that says "thou shalt incorporate the AR emblem and scudetto in the grill of every Alfa", then, someone points out "hey boss, it's an F1 Racer..there really isn't a grill..." only to be told "slap one on there with a couple of pop rivets....we have rules here!!!"

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Can someone explain the history of the 8C? Was it ever sold as a production car?
The Alfa Romeo 8C was originally a range of Alfa Romeo road, race and sports cars of the 1930s. In 2004 Alfa Romeo revived the 8C name for a V8-engined concept car which made it into production for 2007, the 8C Competizione.
The 8C designates 8 cylinders, and originally a straight 8-cylinder engine. The Vittorio Jano designed 8C was Alfa Romeo's primary racing engine from its introduction in 1931 to its retirement in 1939. In addition to the two-seater sports cars it was used in the world's first genuine single-seat Grand Prix racing car, the Monoposto 'Tipo B' - P3 from 1932 onwards.[2] In its later development it powered such vehicles as the twin-engined 1935 6.3-litre Bimotore, the 1935 3.8-litre Monoposto 8C 35 Type C, and the Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Mille Miglia Roadster. It also powered top-of-the-range coach-built production models, including a Touring Spider and Touring Berlinetta.

learn something new everyday....
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
1930 8C

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Alfa romeo 8c competizione
2007 8C competizione

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
1st
The Alfa Romeo 8C was originally a range of Alfa Romeo road, race and sports cars of the 1930s. In 2004 Alfa Romeo revived the 8C name for a V8-engined concept car which made it into production for 2007, the 8C Competizione.
The 8C designates 8 cylinders, and originally a straight 8-cylinder engine. The Vittorio Jano designed 8C was Alfa Romeo's primary racing engine from its introduction in 1931 to its retirement in 1939. In addition to the two-seater sports cars it was used in the world's first genuine single-seat Grand Prix racing car, the Monoposto 'Tipo B' - P3 from 1932 onwards.[2] In its later development it powered such vehicles as the twin-engined 1935 6.3-litre Bimotore, the 1935 3.8-litre Monoposto 8C 35 Type C, and the Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Mille Miglia Roadster. It also powered top-of-the-range coach-built production models, including a Touring Spider and Touring Berlinetta.
I did some wiki reading in my free time and learned more about it. I always knew of the 4C and wondered, why didn‘t Alfa have a higher powered car called the 8C? Lo And behold BAM that damn thing actually exists.

And I think it’s really darn cool. Wiki also said only 99 of them in the US? How long before Doug D M. makes a vid on one?

Appreciate your write up above

[EDIT] Even better!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok...one more picture from the trip..

Spotted this in Milan....and alerted my family: I no longer want to be cremated...I want a full coffin funeral and I want my last ride to be in this Maserati Hearse (not just from the church to the cemetery...I want to a long slooooow ride through town).

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts