Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering adding 1" to the diameter of my tires from 29" overall diameter to 30" overall diameter. And going to Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus. I upsized on my Giulia, with these Conti's and loved the result. My reason for going larger is just to put a little more tire between the road and the wheel to soften the ride a little. I don't want to give up the beautiful 5 hole black and machined wheels by going to 19" wheels (and I am too cheap to do both tires and wheels). Love to know if anyone else has optioned for old-school solution on a Stelvio. Thanks, Lovejoy

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
1 inch is pushing it IMHO. I run a 245/50R20 front on my Quad no problem and a 275/45R20 rear. Those are about a half inch.

Think about 265/45R20. Good half inch of OD to achieve your goal with more meat in contact. But, adding OD with a higher performance tire is self defeating for your goals.

Reactions: Lovejoy

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport Vesuvio Grey
322 Posts
I have 265-45-20s. Any bigger and I am afraid you would rub the inner suspension. I have the Michelin CrossClimate+ SUV tires; I am not sure how much of the difference is due to those being a higher quality tire than the factory Contis or due to the slightly larger sidewall, but it noticeably softened up the ride. It also fills in the wheel gap a tad more so it's a win win all around in my book.

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
710 Posts
You can put your hand in on the top of the front tire to see / measure the clearance to the top knuckle which is over the tire, it’s about an inch, so if you are comfortable reducing that to .5 inch, that height might be ok there, but you also have to consider the ribs on the inside of the front fender liner when turning, I don’t have any measurements for you there, have a friend turn the wheel as you watch, and let us know

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can put your hand in on the top of the front tire to see / measure the clearance to the top knuckle which is over the tire, it’s about an inch, so if you are comfortable reducing that to .5 inch, that height might be ok there, but you also have to consider the ribs on the inside of the front fender liner when turning, I don’t have any measurements for you there, have a friend turn the wheel as you watch, and let us know
If I decide to try them, I use ASAP Tire Div of Tirerack will do the clearance checks before releasing them. Any impingement triggers a return. Have done o this w several cars in the past. They are great.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your speedo will be off. Will read slower than you are driving.
Yep ... about 3-4% ... I run 31" Falken Wilderness AT's on my Subaru Ascent fishing/work wagon. Has cost me 2 tickets where I was on the edge and forgot about it and got a ticket for 15mph over the limit. Not sure if I will go for Conti DWS's or something a little milder. Appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I’ll bet money you butt can’t feel any difference with 5 pts on your aspect ratio. I had both 225/55 17 and 275/25 20’s (If I remember correctly - they are in my basement so I can check) on my old Infiniti. There was almost no different in feel daily driving.
Pot holes, yeah but I don’t drive over pot holes often.
That’s a MAJOR difference in size and isnt noticeably in feel. That’s a 3” lower tire!

Your head might tell you it’s better but with jolt detectors I bet it’s super minimum and won’t corner as well and your Speedo will be wrong

If you like it that’s all that matters.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d kinda hoped I could stick 265/50/20 in there, but going up 1.4 inch imay be OTT

I’m interested in how you get on
Funny, I was looking at 265/50/20 today on tirerack’s website. I went outside to my car and it looked like they will fit. Will keep you posted. For what it’s worth, the extra inch of overall diameter on my Giulia, and several cars before that, is huge. More tire, less seam slap, and better overall city driving manners. Might lose a little agility, but the trade off is worth it (to me).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Each additional inch taller is only 3.14” more in diameter. Going up one inch will only make your car off by 176’ per mile.

If you drive that car around a running track 4 times (one mile) on one size tires, switch and to the new tires you’ll cover one mile plus 58 more yards.

I guess the person buying your used car will get a car with more mileage than is shown on your odometer.

Not only your Speedo will be off but also your odometer. Your mpg will also be off since it’s calculated on an actual mile. Not 1 Mile plus 58 yards.

Instead of driving 4,400,000 yards in 10,000 miles (per year) you are driving 4,980,000 yards. That make your odometer off by only 355 miles per year. No big deal…

·
Registered
164 Posts
Or someone is under thinking it. A 50 aspect ratio isn’t going to noticeable feel different. It’s in your head. Going from a 255/45 to a 255/50 makes zero logical sense. Throw off your Speedo, odometer, mpg and feels no different.

Knock yourself out though.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Or someone is under thinking it. A 50 aspect ratio isn’t going to noticeable feel different. It’s in your head. Going from a 255/45 to a 255/50 makes zero logical sense. Throw off your Speedo, odometer, mpg and feels no different.

Knock yourself out though.
No need for sarcasm. It’s not about the aspect ratio; it’s about the difference in overall diameter, and yes 1” makes a difference in ride quality. Have you actually ever done a before - after comparison? If not, on what are you basing if your opinion?

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
710 Posts
What skin is it off your nose if a guy wants to go to a larger OD? He did it on his Giulia, and said he noticed a difference.

if one confuses circumference with diameter, are they in a solid position to call someone else a goober? I say it’s a weak starting point.

I put larger tires on all my jeeps, and they actually rolled over stuff easier, that was my exp too. And the 31s on my LJ, actually made the speedo more accurate.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. FWIW, I am not confused about any of the dimensions. I understand circumference, overall diameter, aspect ratio, the impact on speedo, the impact on total miles, etc, and just like a little more tire between me and the road. Why this fellow went off over this rather benign topic is a mystery.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport Vesuvio Grey
322 Posts
Funny, I was looking at 265/50/20 today on tirerack’s website. I went outside to my car and it looked like they will fit. Will keep you posted. For what it’s worth, the extra inch of overall diameter on my Giulia, and several cars before that, is huge. More tire, less seam slap, and better overall city driving manners. Might lose a little agility, but the trade off is worth it (to me).
I don't see how they could possibly fit. As I said earlier in the thread, the 265/45/20s I run fit like a glove and any bigger would rub.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
As far as speedo is concerned, to politely correct above posts, our stock ~29 inch OD typically gives us a reading of ~1mph higher than actual. At ~29.5 OD as on my Quad for winter, speedo was spot on. However, at 30 OD you will be reading around 2mph difference. An indicated 60 will really be ~61.
I was always taught speedos were set up to accommodate the largest possible OD expected on passsenger cars. So a 29.5 OD can be considered within limits but 30, not so much. All you will do is add a bunch of unsprung weight which will

1 - 20 of 38 Posts