Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
710 Posts
As far as speedo is concerned, to politely correct above posts, our stock ~29 inch OD typically gives us a reading of ~1mph higher than actual. ..... All you will do is add a bunch of unsprung weight which will
Which will what, are you scared to mention the unmentionable?
make it handle worse, wear out your shocks sooner, slow your car down? in essence, destroy the driving uniqueness that is Alfa?

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I did not; however it took convincing on my part to the Tire Rack and the local installer that the 265/45s would fit without rubbing. There are a few posts here where someone test fitted 275/45/20s and they rubbed.
Thanks. I work with Ford at Tirerack. Next time I am in the South Bend area I will stop for a test fit on both 45’s and 50’s. Tend to agree with you that 45’s will be the best overall fit and performance.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
485 Posts
Looking at the tire size calculator The 255/50 adds a little height to the sidewall but maintains the same stock 10” tread width. So other points aside about affecting speedometer, odometer etc., I think there’s a good chance they’ll fit without rubbing. However, I’d definitely want to mount a pair on the front and check before purchasing. A large tire shop should be willing to do this for you.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Which will what, are you scared to mention the unmentionable?
make it handle worse, wear out your shocks sooner, slow your car down? in essence, destroy the driving uniqueness that is Alfa?
???? Do you understand unsprung weight? The calculator just confirmed what I stated. Just the facts man. May ride better but nothing else will improve I believe.

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
710 Posts
No maybe not, but I have some experience ending sentences.

"All you will do is add a bunch of unsprung weight which will" these are your words.
many readers might expect something after "which will"
I thought I was helping finish the sentence that was started by calling out the negatives of unsprung weight.
Do you disagree with the negative impacts of unsprung weight I posted? Did I miss one you feel needs to be mentioned?

As I'm not a trackster, and have had many vehicles with big heavy tires, I'm maybe less sensitive to the degradation.

Perhaps someone who is a better driver, or one who tracks their car more often will better appreciate the

ETA stock size

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lol. Do whatever you want. It’s the dumbest thing I’ve seen in a long time. It’s Biden-stupid. Just because he did it and “says” it’s better it’s like painting your house black and saying it looks better. Not supported by science…

My car is always smoother after I wash it or change the oil … lol.

Even if it was an inch taller over all that’s only 1/2” per side taller. Depending on the brand of tire, side wall strength and materials likely has a completely immeasurable improvement. Likely more side affects than benefits.

And again you are defrauding the next buyer traveling more miles than your Speedo reads.

But whatever. Haha!

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
710 Posts
Each additional inch taller is only 3.14” more in diameter. Going up one inch will only make your car off by 176’ per mile.

If you drive that car around a running track 4 times (one mile) on one size tires, switch and to the new tires you’ll cover one mile plus 58 more yards.

I guess the person buying your used car will get a car with more mileage than is shown on your odometer.

Not only your Speedo will be off but also your odometer. Your mpg will also be off since it’s calculated on an actual mile. Not 1 Mile plus 58 yards.

Instead of driving 4,400,000 yards in 10,000 miles (per year) you are driving 4,980,000 yards. That make your odometer off by only 355 miles per year. No big deal…
hey, we know what you were thinking, but it's not what you typed, maybe you should have looked at your post once again, that would have been the non goober move?

ETA, I'm in agreement with you about not noticing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
???? Do you understand unsprung weight? The calculator just confirmed what I stated. Just the facts man. May ride better but nothing else will improve I believe.
I don't think unsprung weight would actually be an issue in the case of switching from the OEM CrossContact LX Sport size to the 255/50.
Here's the difference in the specs for the two sizes from TireRack:

255/45R20 101H SL AR Spec - Tire Weight - 32 Lbs
255/45R20 101V SL AR Spec - Tire Weight - 31 Lbs
255/50R20 109H XL AO Audi Spec - Tire Weight - 29 Lbs

Yeah, the speed rating might be lower, depending on if your Stelvio came with the H or the V rated tires, but you would be saving weight with this tire size.

The 105T SL version would increase the weight to 33 lbs, however, so those shouldn't even be considered.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
#KSStelvio …

Really not understanding your negative and vulgar responses. There is really no place for this type of language on a public forum.

Started this thread just to stimulate some discussion, not to paint myself or anyone else into a corner from which they need to defend themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I've not posted before. I have a Stelvio QV with the 21 inch wheels. I can't find anything online about what pressure these should be. I called Alfa who also had no clue. To keep the TPMS from going off I've had to put 2.9 bar in each tyre which seems crazily high. Does anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
710 Posts
Hi, I've not posted before. I have a Stelvio QV with the 21 inch wheels. I can't find anything online about what pressure these should be. I called Alfa who also had no clue. To keep the TPMS from going off I've had to put 2.9 bar in each tyre which seems crazily high. Does anyone have any info on this?
are there no driver door jam stickers on UK cars? if there is like the US models, it should list normal pressure for the stock and optional sizes.
this is from the manual
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

21 - 38 of 38 Posts