Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Drove a Stelvio base yesterday with Updated stereo, cold weather package, sunroof, 19inch rims in the basic red. Dealer gave me a price of 42k and change out the door.

This is a few thousand more than I planned to spend on a car. Than again, I never planned to like the Stelvio. I am now in a very hard decision on whether I want one.

For reference, this will be a first new car purchase for me, ever. I currently drive a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD which I love minus the 2.7 being totally under built for less than 190HP. However, reliability has always been there. I am rolling 120k and it seems to be just as strong as the day I bought it used at 23k and (knock on wood) almost no issues.

First drive of the Stelvio reminded me of a E46 M3 with the SMG, just unbelievably fun and powerful. (It’s been a while since I drove the M3, if it’s a bad comparison, give me a break).

My real questions are below:

for those of you that have over 10k on yours, how has it held up?

Am I getting a “good deal” on the vehicle I described? (I don’t want to get it in red, really any color but red).

Has anyone put less than 91 octane in the vehicle for extended periods of time? And if so, any negative results?

Is there anything specific I should know before purchasing this vehicle to be my daily driver? I drive about 13k/year.

How expensive is scheduled maintenance at the dealership?

Any additional comments/concerns? All are welcome.

I apologize ahead of time, but for me, 40-45k is a TON of money, and I want to be completely sure before I make a decision.

Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi
Mine has 2400 in one month - I didn't think I was gonna love it as much, cant stop driving it. and for the record my second car is Porsche 911 CS
Reliability is unknown - Italians are not famous for reliability but for fast and beautifully designed machines, hence I would not buy it - LEASE IT
My friend got 15k/39 month lease for Ti Sport with all bells and whistles for 530/month, 0 down, MSRP was 54k - after rebates and incentives it came down to 48k
91 octane or 89 octane no significant difference - will be slightly less torque, but I think price difference is marginal per gallon. I wouldn't put 87. The ECU will adjust to lower octane - but why torture the car - enjoy it!
First maintenance is free - after a year, oil change etc. Consequently no one knows how expensive it will be - Stelvios just came out less than a year
I use mine as a daily driver - absolutely love it. One thing - GPS doesn't show traffic info and mine doesn't have apple carplay (pre-december 2017 production date) otherwise nothing negative to say, MPG could be better but it depends how you gonna drive it, mine is driven in Dynamic all the time so I average mixed 22mpg. Seats are great ( I have sport ones), visibility, comfort great, decent space, ergonomics are great, very quiet on hiway, unless you drop the gear, smooth..
I would do 24 month lease and see how you like it - all first year model cars have issues and quirks that eventually are worked out - why invest money in their R&D :)
Overall I would give it 9.5/10

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
"a TON of money"
yes, it is.
but at the same time it's a very competitive price in the marketplace.
it takes years to be completely sure about most anything.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
In business as well as in life we refer to the 'risk/return tradeoff' in other words the potential benefit is pretty much proportional to the calculated risk. So if you are risk-averse or tight financially, Alfa is not necessarily your brand.

You will observe demographically that the members here and target market for Stelvio are late middle ages and relatively affluent and therefore able to handle some risk.

Not to say that there is much risk in a vehicle fathered by FCA using proven components with a few exceptions. For most of us the anticipated and emotional pleasure is a value judgement and as you observe to almost a one we are well-placed and satisfied going into a new brand eyes wide open and fully aware of the potential risk (none so far). You wanna play you have to pay to a certain extent.

Also you will see most owners are less than 10K miles at this point however there are no red flags out there- none- except for some batteries and other teething problems expected in a newly released vehicle.

No vehicle is an investment so there is no business reason for buying any new car due to appreciation and premium pricing.

So the answer to your question is if you have young kids and are tight on funds (risk averse), than a Kia or Toyota is where you belong.

However based on every bit of data so far Alfa Romeo as a brand is a small calculated risk. And the price of rewarding emotion- using Maslowe's hierarchy for example- is a little higher than the sure thing as it should be.

Your paternalistic advice for the day. You're welcome.

The price for potentially defaulting on a loan or causing stress to your dependents for an emotional purchase (when safe cheap wheels would be the best option) is untenable no matter how it makes you feel.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
IYou will observe demographically that the members here and target market for Stelvio are late middle ages and relatively affluent and therefore able to handle some risk.
Speak for yourself, I've still got 4 years and a month until I hit my 40's! :wink :grin

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
there was something else on the board about demographics - and I have no idea where these assumptions come from, about who/what we are, or why we want something.
drives me nuts

·
Registered
285 Posts
37k on my 2018, no issues. Get a good independent shop to do maintenance at 1/2 -2/3 the cost. Don’t put cheap gas in it. You can probably get $5,000 for the Santa Fe if you sell it yourself - don’t trade it, a big rip off and it should sell easily. Or keep driving it and buy a used Stelvio they start coming off leases next year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts