Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in the Stelvio Qaudrofoglio. I have driven one and it was good. Brakes seemed a little touchy but acceleration and handling was great. I am also interested, and in fact, have worked a nice deal on a 2020 BMW X3M Competition. There is a new 2019 and used 2019 Stelvio Q I could get as well although the new 2019 Stelvio would end up being few thousand more than the BMW as they are just not willing to discount more than $13,500 ish off the $87k and they are trying to get me for $1500 of dealer adds. The used Stelvio Q is priced at what seems to be a good deal with only 4500 miles on it. It's around $64k if I recall. I'm kind of worried about the existence of AR USA in the next few years as it sounds like a fledgling effort and then the reliability and dealer expertise sounds questionable and cost of repairs (been reading about brake rotors) sounds really expensive.

Would you recommend the 2019 Stelvio Q against the new 2020 X3MC? Would you recommend the used 4500 miles Stelvio over the new? It still have 44 months of warranty. Performance wise the BMW and Stelvio should be very close as real world 0-60 times on the BMW seem to be in the mid to upper mid 3s and it is a true M car with M handling. Just looking for some advice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd research/ask the forums on experience with the AR dealer closest to you. My car has been in the shop for 5 weeks for something simple... because there is only one Alfa tech and one dealer in my area. Next closest is 3.5 hours away. I love my Stelvio but won't be staying in one after lease is up. Sticking to BMW/Audi after.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Alfa or bmw... duh
Ok, you'd get the same response on the BMW forums, but probably not from someone who has had an alfa since 1995.
With over 200, 000 miles on 2 (bought new) bmws, I think i'm not overly biased.
As far as which Alfa, assuming the $ isnt the issue, then which do you like better?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, my Alfa dealership for service (or if I bought the new one) would be Alfa Romeo of Fort Worth. Is this good or bad?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the interior color on the new Alpha better and it has about 150 miles. The used one has 4500 miles, only 4 months in service so most of the warranty left and is going to be 12k+ cheaper to buy. The are optioned identically, the new one has rear seat heaters and the used one has expensive white paint. The used one's MSRP is actually about $1000 more. Is buying one with 4500 miles scary?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
4500 miles is basically nothing.
Similar bigger thread on the giula forum right now, with ex bmw guys listing all the common major issues they experienced with their prior bmws.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have experienced BUY MORE WARRANTY. Nothing ultimate about them anymore. Nuff said. Germans will never admit design flaws.

Alfa has 2 of the top, if not the absolute top ranked products in their segments. They will be around, no concerns there. Its not like the products are losers. They are BMW eaters.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Listen, Alfa's arent known for reliability. BMW can be hit or miss, but on average I would say the BMW might be a safer bet if you're worried about reliability. Is resale a factor too? You'll have an easier time dumping the BMW than the Stelvio too.

If you want beautiful styling and something unique and a good driving experience then lean towards the Alfa. Btw have you driven the new X3 M? It drives pretty harsh for being an SUV actually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not driven the X3m or X3m competition. I have a deal for the latter that I will execute Saturday after a test drive if I don't find something I really don't like but I keep wondering if I would enjoy the used 2019 Stelvio Quadrifoglio more especially saving about 7k over the 2020 BMW X3MC which I feel like I got a great deal on ($13,465 off $83845). However, the used Stelvio is $63,777 with an MSRP of $87,790 (2019 with 4500 miles and 44 months of warranty left). The performance should be close but there are interior creature comforts to factor in too and which has a better sound system which matters to me. Hmmm....

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'd research/ask the forums on experience with the AR dealer closest to you. My car has been in the shop for 5 weeks for something simple... because there is only one Alfa tech and one dealer in my area. Next closest is 3.5 hours away. I love my Stelvio but won't be staying in one after lease is up. Sticking to BMW/Audi after.
Hello stelviovegas,
We certainly regret to hear about your experiences. If you need any additional assistance while working alongside your dealer, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
95 Posts
Look, I like BMW, I've had 3 of them. But every Tom, Dick, and Harry has one. I've seen ONE Stelvio driving around since I bought mine. Also, I think the Stelvio is better looking than the X3, by a big margin. If none of that matters to you and you are concerned with dealer availability, then go with the BMW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve had my Stelvio for 18 months. Loved every bit. Great response, good mileage and handles wonderfully. I drive 300 miles most weeks from the desert to 8500”. I’m really enjoying my snow tires. 6” per hour outside-Sierra Nevada.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got Stelvio Ti sport 2.0 in march and my brother in the same house got x3 base 2.0.
Ride in x3 is way more firmer vs stelvio.
Steering is way more firm in x3 but in stelvio its superbly precise.
Driving position & angle of the steering in Stelvio is so perfect.
I drove 13K in 10 months and still get the same thrills driving everyday. No change from the first day.

on the other side X3 has better infotainment system which I feel very complex.
good Heads up Display, 3D surround view camera (Full Screen) & ventilated seats are nice.
I am loving driving my stelvio better, I can not imagine the Quad.

Dealer experience wise, BMW is going to be better.
Warranty / maintenance plan (3 years included) wise also BMW offers wear & tear parts like breaks & rotors at additional cost, which might be a good value to some one also.

I would advise one thing for sure that do a test drive of both cars back to back, and do it both for at least 1/2 hour. Try to drive it on the same or familier road that you normally commute if possible. I prefer driving experience over the other bells & whistles. You can decide what you prefer.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
2020 infotainment is a HUGE upgrade for the gizmo lovers. My Alfa dealer is 100% as clean, nice effectgive and knowledgeableas mu BMW dealership. Oh, by the way, only issue Stelvio has had in 22months is to replace the hatch switch under warranty. By that point in time, I knew my BMW service staff quite well!

·
Registered
84 Posts
robininni, it really depends on your priorities.

I love my Stelvio QV and I’ve had it for five months. It was in the shop over the weekend with a flat tire and in the meanwhile I test drove a few Mercedes and BMWs with the wife. I was really amazed by the lights, the infotainment, the tech, etc. But when I got my car back today, I fired it up and within the first two corners I forgot all about those lights and tech. The Alfa is a driver’s car. The BMW is a luxury car. Just depends which one gives you more enjoyment.

By the way, $13k off a X3M is a great deal. Didn’t they just come out?

You should be able to get more off the Stelvio QV IMO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Apparently the X3M / X3M Competition aren't selling that well (salesman told me, hence the big incentives and big dealer discounts).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've only had the Stelvio (base) for a few days now, and will say that it's so far my favorite car to drive of all I've had (Land Rovers, Acura, Honda, Ford, BMW), by a wide margin. It has me jones-ing for a QV in a bad way, I can't even imagine how amazing that is. And I won't test drive one because I know I'll walk away with it, and I don't want a car note haha!

Main gripe is the infotainment system, which is inexplicably so far below my expectation for a current nav/radio system I just don't get what AR was thinking. It's not a 2020 so maybe those have improved. And I don't have the car long enough to comment on reliability. In general I do think most of the other features are well-enough thought out, even if not class leaders. But the driving imo is a class leader, and I can't imagine the QV.

My wife moved cars around at the airport for a while after college, and has driven many, many different cars, from Hyundai's to Lambo's. She said the Stelvio is hands-down among her top 3 or 4 favorites to drive, and BMW, Merc, Audi come in decisively after it.

Another positive for me is, I don't see 25 of them every time I pull out of my parking garage, or in the garage for that matter. There's 1 Stelvio, 1 Guilia, about 20 BMWs, 15 Mercs, a few Audi's, etc. You get the picture. I hate being one of the crowd. So far I'm finding the Stelvio gives me that in spades both in terms of the driving experience and not overrunning the neighborhood.

Ask me again in a year :)
(Hopefully you won't hear that I caved and got the QV, unless this turns out to be an exceptional bonus year...)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I traded my 4th BMW, a X3M40i for the Quattroporte. Haven't regretted a single thing. Over 20k miles, including a trip from Atlanta to California and back, and this thing is a delight. Only defect has been a leaky radiator spotted at the 20k service, replaced under warranty. I still smile every time I drive it. I'll get the new Stelvio when it comes out as long as the Atlanta dealership remains high quality.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts