Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the engine off i can hear a high pitch whine coming from the engine compartment, for a few min. Anyone else hearing this, is it normal? Have under 700 miles on car so I'm not pushing the revs.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
This is normal. There are several posts explaining this. It has to do with cooling the turbos.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I turn the engine off i can hear a high pitch whine coming from the engine compartment, for a few min. Anyone else hearing this, is it normal? Have under 700 miles on car so I'm not pushing the revs.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
'19 Stelvio
13 Posts
This is normal. There are several posts explaining this. It has to do with cooling the turbos.
...and the recall they just did on it makes it run 10 minutes plus, hope battery issue does not come into play now???

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
...and the recall they just did on it makes it run 10 minutes plus, hope battery issue does not come into play now???
Don't think so. It is an extended time of something that was always happening after turning the car off, meaning the battery 'should' be in normal/topped off state. I have not measured it but it seems more like 5 min. I wonder if the length of the cooling is related as to how hard the car was just driven.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just bought wife a new 2020 ti sport this past Friday. Twice now when it’s turned off you get the high pitch wine and a low frequency rumbling sound (assuming turbo cooling pump?). Anyway does not seem to be related to outside air temp as it just occurred when she drove home at 55F. Runs for approximately 8 minutes which seems like an awfully long time. My GQV does not do this and it most certainly is run through its paces more than my wife’s Stelvio although I was pleased to learn I married an Alfisti. Lol. When I bought it I had dealer remove varta battery and install Mopar AGM battery. Also ensured it had latest software updates. Any advice? Is this really normal? It’s inconsistent in that it doesn’t always do this. Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't think so. It is an extended time of something that was always happening after turning the car off, meaning the battery 'should' be in normal/topped off state. I have not measured it but it seems more like 5 min. I wonder if the length of the cooling is related as to how hard the car was just driven.
Yes, the length of time it runs should be related to the turbo/eng temps---which should be pretty closely proportional to how hard (or easy) you were driving before shutting her off. I'm old school and drive the last 5 miles home (with a turbo that is, and after flogging the paddle shifters in dynamic) in total chill mode to help the turbo cool a bit on its own. I suppose there is some new minimum time the pump will run after shutoff anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know a bunch of car companies had issues whereby the engine would cease to cool the turbo(s) when stop/start turned it it off. This resulted in a lot of destroyed turbos and warranty claims.

The AR system must be overly cautious perhaps advised by the turbo manufacturer. Maybe it runs the cooling without measuring temp therefore exceeds the amount of cooling needed.

In any case, extra cooling once you turn the car off is better than the risk of it disabling prematurely. If the only downside is additional battery drain and some noise from the car then I'll take it

·
Registered
9 Posts
After the W05 recall Alfa made it to where it stays on for almost ten minutes. If you haven’t done the recall yet chances are that your car will only do it momentarily.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just bought wife a new 2020 ti sport this past Friday. Twice now when it’s turned off you get the high pitch wine and a low frequency rumbling sound (assuming turbo cooling pump?). Anyway does not seem to be related to outside air temp as it just occurred when she drove home at 55F. Runs for approximately 8 minutes which seems like an awfully long time. My GQV does not do this and it most certainly is run through its paces more than my wife’s Stelvio although I was pleased to learn I married an Alfisti. Lol. When I bought it I had dealer remove varta battery and install Mopar AGM battery. Also ensured it had latest software updates. Any advice? Is this really normal? It’s inconsistent in that it doesn’t always do this. Thanks in advance for the help
We recommend having your dealer look into this for you. If you would like any additional assistance, please feel free to send us a private message and we'll be happy to help!

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

1 - 13 of 13 Posts