Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 Stelvio QV since about August, and last night was the first time I saw this issue.

I've found several discussions here and on the Giulia forums about the high pitched whine that comes from the engine bay after shutting off the vehicle or unlocking/locking the doors. Most seem to think it is a coolant pump, but has anyone confirmed for sure exactly what it is?

Anyway, last night I did some errands and parked in my garage at about 7 PM. At about 10 PM I went to the garage to check that garage lights were off and doors were closed when I noticed the high pitched whine was still going. So the whine had been going for about 3 hours. I unlocked and locked the doors again, waited a minute and the whine continued. So eventually I started it up, did a quick drive around the block, parked it again and the whine stopped in about 30 seconds as it normally should.

I assume if the whine had continued overnight or so I would have had a dead battery. So I'm a bit concerned that this could happen again where I can't hear it and be stuck. Anyone confirmed exactly what the whine is? Any ideas as to why it was stuck on?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I am not sure what the whine is. As you mentioned, 'I think' is the turbo coolant pump. While we wait for confirmation, the scnario of the whining staying on for a while did cause my battery to drain once (and just once). I did what you did in other ocassions (very infrequent) to start/stop the engine and the whining would stop after the 'standard' 30 seconds. I have a non-QV Stelvio but I think the principle is the same.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Forgot to quote you @AlfaOmega but you probably will see the thread again soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, it's usually the high temperature cooling system that people talk about.

It cools crankcase, cylinder heads, turbochargers, engine oil, transmission oil. LT cools only the coolant for the intercoolers.

Here is some info on the 2.9 thermostat as well

If you believe that the HT cooling system was on for three hours, needless to say there is a fault somewhere. But just keep an eye on it for now, tons of electronics going on. Sometimes, the vehicle will make noises as you approach it or touch the door handles, so be sure it was actually on for the full duration of three hours

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for the detailed info. I'll look at it more closely when I get a chance.

I'm pretty sure it was on for 3 hours as I heard it right when I opened the garage door and hadn't approached the vehicle and didn't have the key FOB with me to trigger the doors. Also, when I did unlock/lock the doors it didn't turn off at that point either.

It would be interesting to trace the logic for what keeps the pump operating. Perhaps this would lead to a faulty sensor or even bad logic in the ECU. We can see that this happens on the QV and non-QV alike. Would be interested to see if this happens on all years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is a list of sensors and actuators that respond to the PCM Primary

I would take a scan tool and scan for any active DTCs too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for yet more info. For scan tool, would just an OBDII scanner be sufficient?

Looks like I should get some tools on hand to try to gather more data if or when I see this issue again. It could be a weird fluke and I won't see it again for another six plus months though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you for yet more info. For scan tool, would just an OBDII scanner be sufficient?

Looks like I should get some tools on hand to try to gather more data if or when I see this issue again. It could be a weird fluke and I won't see it again for another six plus months though.
Yeah, OBD II would work. If your vehicle has SGW though, (Feb '18 - present), you will need SGW bypass to go beyond read-only functions. But you might as well buy MultiECUScan, USB diagnostic lead, and the two blue and grey adapters. It is the closest thing the public can get (without expensive subscriptions and micropod) to wiTECH. Download the program and test out simulation mode to see what I mean, but you will have to buy the license key to activate (50 euro last time I checked)

I agree though, it could be a weird fluke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll look into getting what I can to try to diagnose this, assuming it happens again and at a location I can troubleshoot it. Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I own a 2018 Stelvio QV since about August, and last night was the first time I saw this issue.

I've found several discussions here and on the Giulia forums about the high pitched whine that comes from the engine bay after shutting off the vehicle or unlocking/locking the doors. Most seem to think it is a coolant pump, but has anyone confirmed for sure exactly what it is?

Anyway, last night I did some errands and parked in my garage at about 7 PM. At about 10 PM I went to the garage to check that garage lights were off and doors were closed when I noticed the high pitched whine was still going. So the whine had been going for about 3 hours. I unlocked and locked the doors again, waited a minute and the whine continued. So eventually I started it up, did a quick drive around the block, parked it again and the whine stopped in about 30 seconds as it normally should.

I assume if the whine had continued overnight or so I would have had a dead battery. So I'm a bit concerned that this could happen again where I can't hear it and be stuck. Anyone confirmed exactly what the whine is? Any ideas as to why it was stuck on?
Hello AlfaOmega,
We are sorry to hear about your recent high pitched whine noise concern. If you’re not able to determine the cause based on advice provided here, I kindly recommend connecting with your certified dealer as they will have the most appropriate tools to assist. If you decide to go this route, our team is available via private message if you are in need of any assistance with that process.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, AlfaRomeoCares! I'll watch for if this happens again and try to figure a cause so I can reproduce it for dealer diagnosis and observation.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks, AlfaRomeoCares! I'll watch for if this happens again and try to figure a cause so I can reproduce it for dealer diagnosis and observation.
Hello AlfaOmega,
Not a problem, please keep us updated. We're happy to help if needed.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting. I had a dead battery on my 2018 2 weeks ago after it sat in the garage overnight. The fobs weren’t close by and all of the doors were shut. I haven’t called the dealer about it because I charged the battery and the problem hasn’t repeated. I didn’t hear any noise after I shut the vehicle off.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Interesting. I had a dead battery on my 2018 2 weeks ago after it sat in the garage overnight. The fobs weren’t close by and all of the doors were shut. I haven’t called the dealer about it because I charged the battery and the problem hasn’t repeated. I didn’t hear any noise after I shut the vehicle off.
Hello FigaroFred,
We are happy to hear your concerns seem to have gone away. Should this return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
68 Posts
Found this video on the Giulia forum, but this is the high pitched whine I am referring to:

Had that same high pitched whine since new -- goes off after around 30 seconds. Since the PCM recall it stays on longer -- maybe a minute and goes off.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Had that same high pitched whine since new -- goes off after around 30 seconds. Since the PCM recall it stays on longer -- maybe a minute and goes off.
It makes sense that the whine sound stays on longer now after the recall to allow sufficient cooling time for the turbocharger oil feed, as @BossaNova also indicated. I also think there are more that one distinctive whine sound. Always learning on this forum!

·
Registered
103 Posts
It makes sense that the whine sound stays on longer now after the recall to allow sufficient cooling time for the turbocharger oil feed, as @BossaNova also indicated. I also think there are more that one distinctive whine sound. Always learning on this forum!
Keep in mind, while similar concept, it is actually low temperature cooling circuit that does this for the 2.0 engine. What I wrote above is regarding OP's 2.9

On 2.0:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with my Giulia. After I left the car I waited for one hour and when I went back to the garage the noise was still going. At that time it happened because I forgot the OBD II connected to the car. When I disconnected the OBD II the noise stopped.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts