Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew Atleast 2 of the speakers in my stelvio which is crazy to me, I have an aftermarket amp which I had in my previous car (bmw 3 series) however, unlike the BMW setup, I don’t have any of the car’s speaker on the amp, only my 12” subwoofer which is in the trunk.. I blew all the speakers in my bmw after about 2 years and I had the basic system. Then I upgraded all those speakers to BMW oem HK speakers, which sounds way better than these that come in the stelvio.. and the blew from just playing from the car’s amp! I’ve only had this car only 9 months.. any suggestions on good aftermarket speakers I could replace blown speakers with?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Its called distortion and messing with ohm ratings.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remember, the amplifier is only on my aftermarket subwoofer.. I have done nothing to any of the factory speakers

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
UNless its a line cable, if you tapped off the speaker wires.....could be a major affect.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Misunderstood me. Depending on where you tapped in can have a major affect on resistance., thus reason many line level adapters also had ??caps to control reisitance levels. This goes back 20yrs in my memory banks, but if you are repeatedly blowing speakers you either
1. Can't hear distortion
or
2. Have a repeat history incorrect wiring techniques.

Pretty hard to fry a stock system these days in almost any car. They won't allow excess gain levels on purpose. HK and Bose are notorious for limiting gain. Using tone controls for gain is inappropriate. Better +5,-2 than +9,++2 on tone controls

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Misunderstood me. Depending on where you tapped in can have a major affect on resistance., thus reason many line level adapters also had ??caps to control reisitance levels. This goes back 20yrs in my memory banks, but if you are repeatedly blowing speakers you either
1. Can't hear distortion
or
2. Have a repeat history incorrect wiring techniques.

Pretty hard to fry a stock system these days in almost any car. They won't allow excess gain levels on purpose. HK and Bose are notorious for limiting gain. Using tone controls for gain is inappropriate. Better +5,-2 than +9,++2 on tone controls
Well the bmw speakers were connected directly to the amp so I get why those blew, levels were too high.. replaced them with HK and they were fine. As for the stelvio, i am no professional, it’s a good tap and I have it going to a LC7 audio controller and then to the amp and I only have the bass connected on the audio controller

1 - 7 of 7 Posts