Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hood (Bonnet) plastic handle release FAIL!

Anyone else have this issue? I maybe used it 4 times and the 5th time the plastic type connect point to the wall snapped.

I can still open it but it is a pain in the AZZ. I will see about getting the dealer to replace when I go in for my first service check.

Just want to see if anyone had this issue. :eek

have a wonderful day.. m

·
Registered
428 Posts
It has a strange set up for sure.

I think to close it properly you have to drop the hood the last 6-8 inches and then kinda press on the hood where the latches are. It has 2 latches.

If on the first try of the pull it does not "pop" I find success in going to the hood and a light press again on the latch and a couple gentle pulls on the latch and maybe a return trip or two to the hood to press again

I would say don't pull to hard on the handle as it looks like it will break easy but you proved that to us.

Got to love warranty !!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well that sucks, sandpiperx. I would suggest you call the dealer at least a week ahead of bringing your vehicle in for your service check so that they can order the part in ahead of time. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Yeah...yanking on things is discouraged in all modern cars.

I had the same thing happen in my Boxster years ago...since then I am very careful to use the least amount of force possible when doing anything.

...Small rant..

....in about the middle of the 00's the auto industry made the conscious decision to begin focusing model development and design for the Chinese market instead of the US market. For most of the previous 100 years the largest market for vehicles has been the USA and over that time the American consumer developed into an informed and demanding buyer. Through the 80's and into the 90's this brought up quality, reliability, power and gas mileage. Then around 2k the Chinese market opened up in a big way and a billion people who had never had the opportunity to buy cars (in general) started buying cars. The Auto industry knew these new consumers were not as educated or informed about the products (because it was a new thing to them, something they still needed to learn about as a group) and as an industry they basically tanked the quality of interior parts, stopped caring about manual transmission development or prioritizing driving refinement. Instead they began prioritizing shiny bits, cool new tech and underwhelming engine design focused on 4 cylinders (although this is really Audi and VW's fault for succeeding in making the original 1.8T such a popular engine...it outsold and got better press than the V6 models at the time it was also 5 valves per cylinder, wonder why no one does that anymore?).

As the perfect example I give you the change over from the E46 generation BMW 3 series to the E90 generation. The E46 had a significantly higher quality interior, was better engineered/built, drove better and had smoother more refined engines....the E90 had lots of cut lines on the body, busy interior design and began the migration away from the classic inline 6.

IMO quality, reliability and engineering in cars peaked in the mid 2000's, and has been dropping since. Seriously the interior plastic in my 2003 3 series was better than the plastics in the new 7 series. Same thing with the 2002 Audi A6 my Mom had, the new ones are cheap inside compared. Yes, they LOOK nicer, shinier, with more appealing textures, etc..but once you start touching, moving and pulling on things you realize that GI Joe toys from the 80's were made out of better plastic than modern luxury car interiors. Some seriously intense B.S. in my opinion and one of the biggest frustrations about modern vehicles to me.

Interesting, now that we are over a decade and a half into this the Chinese consumer has refined and developed into a more demanding and educated purchaser and the auto industry in China has basically all but collapsed. Manufacturers like to blame tariffs and outside forces, but IMO if they were building cars people felt were worth the amount of money being charged for them, people would be buying them. For the most part manufacturers are not, they are still trying to pass off half-assed tech and engineering as "cutting edge", and trying to sell uncomfortable poorly engineered "economy" vehicle for $20k while making anything actually worth driving in cost over $50k and it isn't working anymore. Once Auto manufacturers realize that cars are not computers and are far too expensive to be built to only last until the next product cycle, new car sales will continue to drop.

I love Alfa's and consider them to be the best engineered new vehicles on the road today, that they still have cheap hood latches, sticking buttons, and the rest...is very frustrating. I just wish that people would realize this issue is not unique to Alfa and is industry wide.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It has a strange set up for sure.

I think to close it properly you have to drop the hood the last 6-8 inches and then kinda press on the hood where the latches are. It has 2 latches.

If on the first try of the pull it does not "pop" I find success in going to the hood and a light press again on the latch and a couple gentle pulls on the latch and maybe a return trip or two to the hood to press again

I would say don't pull to hard on the handle as it looks like it will break easy but you proved that to us.

Got to love warranty !!!!
Might wanna have the hood latches adjusted, it should always pop up on the first pull

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Its called weight loss! The single most important way to improve mileage is to make the vehicle lighter

·
Registered
130 Posts
The cheapest button of them all is the wiper blade button, feels like a piece of crap the switch like it will break at any moment.
I'm lucky to have rain sensing wipers. I turned the wiper switch to "A" (automatic), when I first got the vehicle and haven't touched it since.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Never need to touch that button

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just so we are clear.......

I love this Stelvio. It is a fun and unique driving experience. Will be looking at a quad next for sure. Also on the hunt for a old spider just for a fun rat ride for the lovely Mrs. P

I can honestly say that about 99.9 percent of all cars have some issues. I just wondered if the hood latch lever was a common issue for these rides.

Other than that I have a great cheese steak recipe I can share. It's all Good! have a great day. m

·
Read Only
0 Posts
From the drivers seat. The release lever on the side opens the left latch and the hood should pop up if adjusted properly. Next the yellow lever should be moved left to unlock the right hood latch. If you have to lift the hood slightly for this to occur its out of adjustment. Chances are that's why your yellow latch has failed.

I only know all this because mine was not working properly and I tried to fix it 3 times finally getting it perfect.

Ian

·
Registered
152 Posts
My clip that locks in my sun visor snapped in half yesterday when I closed my sun visor.I can add that to the list of broken crap on my car.About ready to bail on it.....

Chyrsler products are junk,I knew that going in but nothing but continual problems since I bought mine.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Might I suggest the user does not know his/her own sterength and either inappropriately torques and twists things so they eventually break. Spend enough time with folks in the passenger seat and you'll know what I say is truth. That and the automobile as a rolling garbage scow..leasing is a major responsibility here. Its not theirs so they use it for 24-36 months and only do the minimum necessary which inlcudes cleaning it up before turning it in only. Many are NEVER washed or vacuumed. You can tell a lot about someone by the filth they drive in....meanwhile some times something breaks. We forget old cars weren't perfect either and fell apart at 50-60K (rust!!!)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I snapped my hood release off while trying to open the engine for friends facetiming other friends wanting to see the engine location. I couldn’t believe it!

In my 2005 Audi V8 S4 (which was miles behind the quad as a drivers car) there was no possible way to rip off the hood release.

It was a relatively inexpensive way to learn a lesson about priorities between these brands.

I’m cool with the trade-offs.

·
Registered
‘18 Stelvio Ti Sport fully loaded It’s a DRIVER!
281 Posts
Yeah but that is the kind of issue that will keep Alfa from General acceptance by the driving public.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah but that is the kind of issue that will keep Alfa from General acceptance by the driving public.
absolutely true, and not good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine broke on July 4th, trying to open it to show people the engine...wasn't funny. I'm just glad I had opened it that morning to top off the oil :) Called the dealer first thing on Monday, not a big deal but waiting to take it in.

·
Administrator
674 Posts
There are two hood release devices. I think the original post was related to the one inside the car. But some of the other replies in this discussion seem to be about the one outside under the hood.

It would help to make it clear which lever failed in your messages. If all of the failures are for the same location (inside vs. outside) that would indicate a marginal design for the common failure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts