Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is leased but I baby it a lot!

- I only fill the tank using 93# gasoline.

- I am breaking it in carefully by not exceeding my RPM to 3000 right now.

- I plan to do my first oil at 3000 miles and then every 5000 miles thereafter.

- I'm buying lots of accessories for it and plan to tint my front door windows soon.

If I also keep my miles low, do you think the bank will write me a check when I return it? :big-grin

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
NO ! Value predetermined and lots of overkill short of using the appropriate premium due to compression of motor. A motor that is not appropriately revved up historically burns more oil than a babied unit and also makes less HP. Lugging a motor is far worse for the motor and that is a fact also. Many studies have been done on this. By 500 miles you should run it thru a few gears at WOT. Really only nono during break in is sustained high rpms meaning autobahn at 120+ for many Kms. I have been tracking cars for almost 20years and by 1000miles they are at the track getting full commitment. I have NEVER had a weak or mechanical issue with a motor. I don't plan on changing oil till at least 5000 or until computer suggests its getting near time. Amazing how good synthetic oil is and how well it tests even after 10k these days or after 8-10 track days! Motor tolerances are complertely different than 25years ago!!! That's why we get 280 out of 2.0L turbos with tuning room for 320! 25 years ago 2.0L was lucky to get half that.

I'd make sure they don't make you remove tinting at end of lease depending on state laws

Reactions: OhioF1 and CBRacerX

·
Registered
534 Posts
My leased Stelvio is not getting babied, otherwise I would have bought a Prius, lol.
I'm not abusing it but I'm driving it like it was intended as a sport SUV.

·
Registered
56 Posts
RPM's and rings

NO ! Value predetermined and lots of overkill short of using the appropriate premium due to compression of motor. A motor that is not appropriately revved up historically burns more oil than a babied unit and also makes less HP. Lugging a motor is far worse for the motor and that is a fact also. Many studies have been done on this. By 500 miles you should run it thru a few gears at WOT. Really only nono during break in is sustained high rpms meaning autobahn at 120+ for many Kms. I have been tracking cars for almost 20years and by 1000miles they are at the track getting full commitment. I have NEVER had a weak or mechanical issue with a motor. I don't plan on changing oil till at least 5000 or until computer suggests its getting near time. Amazing how good synthetic oil is and how well it tests even after 10k these days or after 8-10 track days! Motor tolerances are complertely different than 25years ago!!! That's why we get 280 out of 2.0L turbos with tuning room for 320! 25 years ago 2.0L was lucky to get half that.

I'd make sure they don't make you remove tinting at end of lease depending on state laws
I have heard the same regarding oil consumption. The car should be driven aggressively(no sustained red-line)to properly seat the piston rings. I took it relatively easy for the first 500, and now I regularly put it in manual and accelerate aggressively through the lower gears.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
==== Stelvio break in procedure for the first 1500 miles ===

For vehicles equipped with the 2.0L GME T4, use the following engine break-in recommendations:
Despite modern technology and World Class Manufacturing methods, the moving parts of the engine must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first 500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.

It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the new vehicle break-in period:

0 to 100 miles (0 to 160 km):
- Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
- Press the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
- Avoid aggressive braking.
- Drive with the engine speed less than 3500 RPM.
- Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (160 to 483 km):
- Press the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
- Avoid aggressive braking.
- Drive with the engine speed less than 5000 RPM.
- Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
- Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher rpm’s when possible.
- Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
- Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

For the first 1500 miles (2414 km):
- Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 1500 miles (2414 km).

·
Registered
174 Posts
I love accessories, bought Stelvio rubber mats and licence plate attachment not to drill the holes -but I don’t baby my Stelvio on the road. I am relatively not an aggressive driver -I have very good road manners and I enjoy effortless ride.... my hb on the other hand is a very aggressive driver with all his cars and will always find a way to obuse the engine even if he has to go 3blocks?. I let him take my car once in a while when he needs an sUV for work- I bet it gets ripped a new one.....but I prefer not to think about it and hope for the best...he filled it with regular gas once and I was so upset!! But to my surprise it lasted just as long and I haven’t noticed any real difference in performance. I also had no chance to service for recalls yet, but use hand car washes only.... It’s really challenging to keep the car In the mint condition driving in Brooklyn...someone had already scratched my bumper backing out of the parking lot!.....but I am over it now.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You would be amazed at the things people do to cars. If you read my break in and the "official " breakin , we are essentially saying the same thing excpet I haven't seen a 1500 mile period in my lifetime. That is laughable. Suprised they are more concerned about high rpms than lugging. Shows the level of incompetence given to writing this document right Marzio?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
lugging causes heat, revving in lower gears doesn't.
bmw had a heck of a problem with people buying high hp turbos, driving them like a prius, and turning them into oil burners because of cylinder glazing instead of actual break in or even proper use after "break in'.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But my understanding of the recommended break in procedure from 300-500 miles is that exercising high RPM in lower gears by manually delay shifting using the paddles is very different from wide open throttle based heavy acceleration. In the former scenario, the engine is under much less load than the latter.

You would be amazed at the things people do to cars. If you read my break in and the "official " breakin , we are essentially saying the same thing excpet I haven't seen a 1500 mile period in my lifetime. That is laughable. Suprised they are more concerned about high rpms than lugging. Shows the level of incompetence given to writing this document right Marzio?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just had a terrible experience with my Toyota GT86 (2012) - the engine (shortblock) had to be changed. I blame a bit myself, because I followed the stupid suggestion from my car dealer, that I can drive it like a sport car from day one without any restrains. And I did it. To full 7.500 rpm and 220 km/h. And even though I changed the oil after 3000 km the engine just broke down at 18.000 km. Now I have carefully read all the instructions and found out that I should drive at max 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles. So guys, my advice is that you should really follow the manual from the manufa – user4605 Feb 27 '14 at 23:11

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great thread. Thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences everyone. I probably would've really done some engine damage in those first 100 w/o this. Pick my car up this weekend and really looking forward to getting outside of the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you find it useful.

I know how hard it is to be easy on the throttle in the first 500 miles! It is like asking Justin Bieber to refrain from having sex until he gets married. :big-grin

Great thread. Thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences everyone. I probably would've really done some engine damage in those first 100 w/o this. Pick my car up this weekend and really looking forward to getting outside of the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve had mine just over 1.5 months and have over 3200 miles on it. I take good care of it, but drive it with pleasure, just as was planned by Alfa.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Driving any motor like Alice is more detrimental than periodically using the motors potential. This is why the little old lady that only went to the store and church had a car that was always in the shop back in the day. Don't worry folks, if you use your right foot, your motor will love you that much more. BTW MY break ijn procedure is complete and she hasn't burned a drop of oil.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There's conjecture and there's empirical testing:

Additionally, the computer/transmission needs to learn your driving style. Also, the brakes should be broken in with aggressive high speed braking (not torture) being careful to not get them too hot and allow them to cool between events. My two cents.

Are any race engines "broken in". **** no!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
liv4spd. By chance wasn't that a Subaru flat 4 in your GT86? Lots of them ate head gaskets and had issues. ShIITY motor.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I drive my car super careful.

I'm careful to drive it fast on dirt and pavement everyday... I drive it slow too, but it seems to get upset at me.

Ok, not everyday on dirt, today for instance...way too windy don't feel like sand blasting my eyeballs so not going out.

...and yeah, the Subaru engine in the BRZ/GT86 has head gasket problems, and the warranty repair seems to make it worse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly I bought mines in August of last year and for the first 1000 miles I drove like I had a newborn in the back seat, now I drive it like I stole it, I figure it's a lease and I will give it back come 2020 and have no plans to purchase it. I do have plans to lease another Stelvio or a Giulia because these vehicles are so much fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts