Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if you can buy a diesel powered Stelvio in the US, but in EU you can. They come with the newest Euro 6d-TEMP engines which are so clean that you even drive in the low-emission zones.

So, I have a 2.2 diesel (190 HP) and I wonder how should I break in the new engine?

I've read the US version of the manual, which is for petrol (gasoline) engines only, but I think it should be valid for diesel engines, too (except for the rev numbers, which will be obviously lower).

Also, did you change your engine oil at 1000 miles or did you wait for the first service?

Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
break in procedure will be outlined in your owners manual. my car is a lease so im getting the oil changed at first service and just took it easy on the car only for first 500 miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
there is nothing about how to break in diesel engine in european manuals ...
in us manual there is procedure for gasoline 2l.
in genereal dont drive long and steady neither at high revs neither at low revs, but you should often accelerate to mid revs then drive at lower revs. this is procedure which i read in my previous cars manuals...

I have changed oil at 20k km as it is said in manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@absoluteczech
There's nothing in the EU manual about breaking in the engine, unfortunately.

@milos
Good to know. For how long did you drive it a bit more carefully? My car now has 745 miles (1.200 km) and I was driving it in Natural mode only (pressing the accelerator max. to half), which means that the car was changing gears at 2.000 RPM. From now on I'm driving it in Dynamic mode only and the gear changes happen at 2.500 RPM - I'll also switch to manual from time to time and change the gears @ 3.000 RPM. I'll continue like this probably to 1.500 miles (2.500 km) and then I'll change the oil.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Really strange that your owner's manual does not give break-in instructions like those that exist for the 2.0 gas engine in the US/Canada. A quick internet search revealed one key tip: do not idle a new or rebuilt diesel for extended periods. It needs to be under load often (high torque but low rpm---hills or towing something). See attached video. It is for larger diesels, but I'll bet the same principles apply to smaller diesels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@milos
Good to know, thanks. Did you use the full engine RPM during that time (with gradual acceleration, so the load was low)?

@TDW11
Thanks for the link, I found it myself, too. However, I decided to follow the US manual, but with lower RPM figures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts