Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took over a lease on a 2019 Ti Sport and just had the joy of getting an estimate on front brakes from the dealer. $1,038.91 for pads and rotors? Uhhh, no. Took to an independent shop that works on Alfas, Maseratis and Ferraris and they were much cheaper, go figure. They replaced the front pads and machined the rotors but are stumped about how to turn off the red “BRAKE” warning light on the dash. That had been going off and on for about a month before I brought it in to the dealer and every once in a while it said on the display that the pads needed to be replaced. Dealer said they were at 2mm fyi and rotors looked ok but a good idea to replace them so they did not make noise. Oh. So, now that the independent shop replaced the pads with OEM, and double checked the pad indicator is not causing the light to be on, and brake fluid is ok, does anyone know the secret to turn it off? Does it turn off after a certain amount of miles? Needs to be recalibrated? Trying to avoid another trip to the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pad wear indicator wire was replaced? Look for a short there.
Thanks. He supposedly double checked that. His working theory, which I think is incorrect, is that because the built in camera on the windshield needs to be recalibrated (previous owner replaced the windshield before transfer but did not have it calibrated) that is causing the issue. I told him not so as that has caused the error messages of the lane departure and auto hi beams not to work and the BRAKE indicator was not there when I took over the lease on the car. And when it was at the dealer, they never mentioned any connection between the two and it was simply a wear indicator.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the brake light was triggered from pad wear (and it was if you were down to 2mm) the wear wire must either be replaced or shorted to each other (the latter woukd make it never go off again).

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Wait.

You said RED, "BRAKE" light?

As in red letters that spell the word?

That isnt your brake wear light.

That light means your parking brake is on.

If your parking brake is off, and the light stays on, it means you brake fluid is low.

If your fluid is full and the light is still on...there may be a problem with the hydrulic system or booster.

That is a serious light.

Check your brake fluid. Hopefully that's it. (Really hope they didnt force the calipers open instead of using the electronic release.....)

The brake wear light is yellow.

(Note: Had a different post, but re-read the OP's post and saw the word red. Important word I should have seen originally)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait.

If your parking brake is off, and the light stays on, it means you brake fluid is low.

If your fluid is full and the light is still on...there may be a problem with the hydrulic system or booster.

That is a serious light.

Check your brake fluid. Hopefully that's it. (Really hope they didnt force the calipers open instead of using the electronic release.....)

(Note: Had a different post, but re-read the OP's post and saw the word red. Important word I should have seen originally)
Thanks. I will check with the mechanic on both the wear wire as well as the current indicator. Note that when I had it at the dealer the red BRAKE light was on and the only thing they told me was that it was because the pads were worn and needed replacing. Nothing else.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wait.

That is a serious light.

Good catch. Yeah the red "brake" light is fluid level, pb on, or hydraulic failure.

The orange circle looking symbol is pad wear sensor

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Wow..freaking dealers...

Yeah..look at your manual.

The red brake light has nothing to do with wear.

Be a good idea to pop the hood and check the brake fluid level. Might just be a little low.

One positive, if the light was on at the dealer, it means the shop you went to didn't cause any damage. Wouldn't expect them to, but nice to be sure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When changing rear pads I loosend the bleeder valve to push pistons back just a touch. It set off all kinds of warning and brake lights. After driving the car and cycling it on and off a bunch of times all warnings went a way including the brake wear indicator, all is good now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good intel, thanks. Guy at shop said that parking brake is not an issue as he was doing front pads only. He also has a new computer part coming tomorrow so he can hook it up and see what is going on. And, I sent him a link to this page to see all of the information you folks have provided....

·
Registered
398 Posts
See stelvio manual:
stelvio pdf manual

page 75 onwards gives indicator lamps, page 91 what you would get in case of warning brakepads

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts