Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I just joined this forum, and I am actually thinking about getting a Stelvio this year. However, I have some concerns about it. I mostly just drive to commute, but I do enjoy racing occasionally. I don't doubt about the racing part, but is the Stelvio a good everyday car? And how reliable is it? It would be very helpful if someone can tell me his experience of owning a Stelvio. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey guys! I just joined this forum, and I am actually thinking about getting a Stelvio this year. However, I have some concerns about it. I mostly just drive to commute, but I do enjoy racing occasionally. I don't doubt about the racing part, but is the Stelvio a good everyday car? And how reliable is it? It would be very helpful if someone can tell me his experience of owning a Stelvio. Thanks a lot.
I can't help you with personal experience on the reliability part as we don't now one yet either, but welcome to the forum!

On the forum, which is a very small sample, we've seen a few people with issues, but nothing that seems out of the ordinary or more or less than other manufacturers. The Stelvio is based off of the same platform as the Giulia, so to a certain extent it should have taken into account any early lessons gleaned from Alfa's experience with it. It's an all new platform, and supposedly Alfa invested heavily in a new manufacturing facility with a focus on quality. Still, the 2018 Stelvio is a first year model and the possibility for issues is real. It's something that is a minor concern on our part since Alfa is so new back to the US and, honestly, FCA doesn't have the best reliability reputation. I was actually somewhat encouraged when I discovered that the Stelvio basically shares nothing with most FCA brands. In our case, we're willing to take the risk.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
As the person who has possibly had the most severe repair so far documented on a Stelvio (failed fuel pump at 750 miles), none of the maintenance or quality issues I have came up with I have made me regret the purchase in the slightest.

Yes there are a few quirks and a few little issues here and there that pop up for people, but all of which seem to be worth the hassle for the respective owners, since nobody yet has stated they didn't love the car or regrets buying it !

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can't help you with personal experience on the reliability part as we don't now one yet either, but welcome to the forum!

On the forum, which is a very small sample, we've seen a few people with issues, but nothing that seems out of the ordinary or more or less than other manufacturers. The Stelvio is based off of the same platform as the Giulia, so to a certain extent it should have taken into account any early lessons gleaned from Alfa's experience with it. It's an all new platform, and supposedly Alfa invested heavily in a new manufacturing facility with a focus on quality. Still, the 2018 Stelvio is a first year model and the possibility for issues is real. It's something that is a minor concern on our part since Alfa is so new back to the US and, honestly, FCA doesn't have the best reliability reputation. I was actually somewhat encouraged when I discovered that the Stelvio basically shares nothing with most FCA brands. In our case, we're willing to take the risk.
Exactly my thought as well. My last Alfa was a 1983 GTV6, which was nearly a fix-and-repair-daily kinda car, including a blown engine, etc., etc. But car reliability has come a long way since then and given the brand's return to the US, the driving dynamics and my weakness for the brand, the risk was acceptable. And, I did buy an extended warranty, just in case :wink

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have 20k miles on mine now and have not had any issue with the exception of a bad battery. Alfa replaced it and no issues. I had to unintentionally test the anti-lock brake system yesterday and can tell you they work excellent. This is the best car I have owned so far.

·
Registered
378 Posts
1430 miles later and it's been flawless.
I've owned over 20 vehicles in my lifetime and admit. The Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI is my all-time favorite.
Everyday is joyful experience without question, other than some quirky controls...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Exactly my thought as well. My last Alfa was a 1983 GTV6, which was nearly a fix-and-repair-daily kinda car, including a blown engine, etc., etc. But car reliability has come a long way since then and given the brand's return to the US, the driving dynamics and my weakness for the brand, the risk was acceptable. And, I did buy an extended warranty, just in case :wink
That's exactly what i went thru with my '88 Spider. Haha, the good old days.

I have 20k miles on mine now and have not had any issue with the exception of a bad battery. Alfa replaced it and no issues. I had to unintentionally test the anti-lock brake system yesterday and can tell you they work excellent. This is the best car I have owned so far.
@moparbrian you have the highest mileage of all i've seen on this forum. Can you please share some info?

1. which model do you have? purchased or leased?
2. have you done your 2nd oil change yet? i assume it was out of pocket. how much did you pay and long was it? what was involved?
3. the serpentine belt change is recommended at 20K miles. How much was that?
4. have you had any brake squeeling like has been discussed on this and the Giulia forums?

thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sure, My wife and I use the stelvio for daily driving and business. I have driven out of state many times delivering medical supply samples for our business. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. I have the TI Sport
2. I have done 1 oil change so far (actual miles on car is 19,498). It cost $225 (I had to pay for my first oil change because I refused maintenance plan). Dropped it off and picked it up later.
3. I have not done that. I was unaware it was do at 20k. I will ask the dealer the price.
4. I have had no brake squealing at all.
I run my stelvio in "D" dynamic mode all the time. It feels better to me that way.
My only gripe is the start/stop. I wish I did not have to push the button every time.

@moparbrian you have the highest mileage of all i've seen on this forum. Can you please share some info?

2. have you done your 2nd oil change yet? i assume it was out of pocket. how much did you pay and long was it? what was involved?
4. have you had any brake squeeling like has been discussed on this and the Giulia forums?

thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Zero issues so far, but I've only had the car three weeks. Zero defects from the factory. Performance is quite good and satisfying.

I value not seeing myself at every intersection, so the rareness of the Stelvio is nice. Kind of like when the BMW X5 came out. They were rare for a while because cargo capacity was low and price high.

The Stelvio transmission (ZF made in Germany) is superb which cannot be said for the Range Rover Evoque.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sure, My wife and I use the stelvio for daily driving and business. I have driven out of state many times delivering medical supply samples for our business. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. I have the TI Sport
2. I have done 1 oil change so far (actual miles on car is 19,498). It cost $225 (I had to pay for my first oil change because I refused maintenance plan). Dropped it off and picked it up later.
3. I have not done that. I was unaware it was do at 20k. I will ask the dealer the price.
4. I have had no brake squealing at all.
I run my stelvio in "D" dynamic mode all the time. It feels better to me that way.
My only gripe is the start/stop. I wish I did not have to push the button every time.
thanks,
and for number 3. someone had mentioned it in a prior post that the manual suggests it

Zero issues so far, but I've only had the car three weeks. Zero defects from the factory. Performance is quite good and satisfying.

I value not seeing myself at every intersection, so the rareness of the Stelvio is nice. Kind of like when the BMW X5 came out. They were rare for a while because cargo capacity was low and price high.

The Stelvio transmission (ZF made in Germany) is superb which cannot be said for the Range Rover Evoque.

3 WEEKS???!!! Your Stelvio is brand NEW!! You CAN'T have any issue now!!

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
3300 miles and 6 weeks in winter mixed driving and not one complaint. In fact, every day it seems I'm finding some elegant aspect to appreciate. Example: adaptive headlights, theater lighting, LED's everywhere, courtesy lights fade off, camera reacts to hazards surprisingly well, climate control is versatile, powerful, and unobtrusive- too many well thought out features to list. No regerts (sorry- Milky Way).

·
Registered
20 Posts
$225 for an oil change? Holy crap!!! I've never paid more than $85 (synthetic) for an oil change in over 30 years driving. Is that normal from those who drive the luxury brand vehicles? I've driven German (VW's) and never paid anything close to that for an oil change. I was surprised no one else has commented on that yet which leads me to believe it didn't surprise anyone else.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
$225 for an oil change? Holy crap!!! I've never paid more than $85 (synthetic) for an oil change in over 30 years driving. Is that normal from those who drive the luxury brand vehicles? I've driven German (VW's) and never paid anything close to that for an oil change. I was surprised no one else has commented on that yet which leads me to believe it didn't surprise anyone else.
2nd annual service for my Range Rover was $500 (first year was free, 3rd year not my responsibility / lease returned). that works out to be $41 per each "standard" 3k mi interval that cars used to require. and $41 per oil change is about the same or less than I was paying for the last car I had that needed 3k mi interval changes. It's all about perspective.

but to directly answer the question, no it probably didn't surprise people who have experience with luxury brand vehicles. For comparison, my dealer which is also a Maserati dealer, has standard $1500 or $2500 annual service rates depending on which model you drive which cover all scheduled maintenance items.

Worth noting that it's not uncommon for higher end luxury brand dealers to send a driver and a flatbed truck to pick your car up from your house, and return it the same way when performing annual services on the cars, if not for all service issues. that means the maintenance costs include two way towing / delivery costs as well (many wealthy people don't want to be bothered to go to a dealership, unless the dealership is hosting a cocktail party for a new model launch, and maybe a test drive, though sometimes even that gets delivered to them).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Porsche Macan oil change is in the $350 range. Its ridiculous and you would think engineers would not hide the oil drain plug or the oil filter behind other parts but .....
I mean its a common maintenance thing and they've made it complicated.
Get a load of this: the jaguar F-pace doesn't even have an oil drain plug at all. You have to pump the oil out from the top! :|

·
Registered
1 Posts
Accessory Drive Belts interval

thanks
I downloaded the Stelvio Owner's Manual from Alfa Romeo USA. It requires a drive belt change at 18,000 miles for severe use and 36,000 miles for normal use (see page 216)

·
Read Only
849 Posts
16500km, in 7 months.
Nurburgring, Dyno, snow, ice, the worst conditions possible.
End febbrary, sweden, skelleftea, arjieplog, jokkmokk.
Minimum temp. Reach, -18°C

First checkup, oil, filters (all) 220 euros.

Problems ? Yes, 3 batteries, 2 ibs (intelligent battery sensor) and 2 recalls

Young good car, I like it

·
Registered
250 Posts
16500km, in 7 months.
Nurburgring, Dyno, snow, ice, the worst conditions possible.
End febbrary, sweden, skelleftea, arjieplog, jokkmokk.
Minimum temp. Reach, -18°C

First checkup, oil, filters (all) 220 euros.

Problems ? Yes, 3 batteries, 2 ibs (intelligent battery sensor) and 2 recalls

Young good car, I like it
When did you gets yours @Marzio? Is it a 2017 or 2018? It was released as 2017 overseas right? Are there any recalls on the current US 2018 yet?
On another note did you ever do the drone recording of the stelvio on ice?:big-grin

·
Registered
72 Posts
4,000 glorious miles not one issue Loving the Alfa experience. Just completed a 250 mile trip to the Lake district where the roads had snow and slush the car behaved impeccably.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts