Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I buy a new car, I buy a spare key fob and program it myself. That way, if I lose one in the future, I don't have to send $500-$1000 to the dealer. A lot of the cars require two original key fobs to program a new one.

Anyone knows how to program a key fob for our Stelvio? I did a lot of research on the internet, and below is the only info I can find. I tried it, but did not work. I'm not sure what they mean when referring to "the button".

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMJ View Post
True if you have an existing fob:

Arm and disarm the alarm sixteen times or until the alarm stops responding, alarm now in program mode.....
2. Once in program mode press the button of the new remotes(s), press the button of the original remote(s). This must be done within 8 seconds of each action. If 8 seconds pass without any actions the alarm will automatically exit programming mode and you will have to start from step 1.
3. Wait 8 seconds to exit learning mode.
4. Test remotes.

Otherwise you need code card. If you don't have anything you need the alarm unit recoded.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Every time I buy a new car, I buy a spare key fob and program it myself. That way, if I lose one in the future, I don't have to send $500-$1000 to the dealer. A lot of the cars require two original key fobs to program a new one.

Anyone knows how to program a key fob for our Stelvio? I did a lot of research on the internet, and below is the only info I can find. I tried it, but did not work. I'm not sure what they mean when referring to "the button".

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMJ View Post
True if you have an existing fob:

Arm and disarm the alarm sixteen times or until the alarm stops responding, alarm now in program mode.....
2. Once in program mode press the button of the new remotes(s), press the button of the original remote(s). This must be done within 8 seconds of each action. If 8 seconds pass without any actions the alarm will automatically exit programming mode and you will have to start from step 1.
3. Wait 8 seconds to exit learning mode.
4. Test remotes.

Otherwise you need code card. If you don't have anything you need the alarm unit recoded.
sounds to me like you have to set each button sort of like a universal remote control for the TV that learns each button.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think those instructions are from a few years ago, so may not work with the newer fobs and I can't find any more recent guides on fob programming.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Lessons Learned....

Lost my fob on a business trip a few weeks ago. Bought a replacement on ebay for $50 (should have known better) that seemed legit, but dealer said is was already programmed for a specific vehicle and could not be used again. I was able to return, but drove 200 miles and paid $100 to find out it woud not to work. Now need to fork out $450 for a new fob and emergency key.

Not good.....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Lessons Learned....

Lost my fob on a business trip a few weeks ago. Bought a replacement on ebay for $50 (should have known better) that seemed legit, but dealer said is was already programmed for a specific vehicle and could not be used again. I was able to return, but drove 200 miles and paid $100 to find out it woud not to work. Now need to fork out $450 for a new fob and emergency key.

Not good.....
As you've found out, Alfa (key) transponders can only be programmed one time, so no good getting a used one .....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yup, I am my own worst enemy with DIY at times :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I dont buy that. Now they may not be willing to do it, to force you to spend a fortune, but only programmable once is utter bs. That's just not how technology works.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Several weeks ago I went to the lake harriet kite fly (kite flying, in winter, on a frozen lake)

After a few hours my visit was cut short when I realized that I had somehow
lost my Alfa FOB. I packed up my kites and headed to my vehicle.
I had activated my Tile locating device as I retraced my steps.
At the very least I had to wait for a locksmith (the spare set was
in the vehicle)..and at worst, the cost of a new FOB and programming ($$$).

I am happy to report that when I returned to my vehicle, my keys had been found and placed
on the windshield. My faith in humanity restored.

I mean had I found a set of keys to an
alfa I think that I would be OBLIGATED to take it for a short test ride!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lessons Learned....

Not good.....
Is the dealer the only place where I can get a duplicate Key FOB? Today I was told "it is more or less $1000" that I find outrageous. I would be OK paying $450, I just need to clone mine don't need to reprogram everything.

Thank you for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts