Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Vendor
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Improve the sound and performance of your Alfa Romeo Stelvio

When we got out Stelvio here at MADNESS we didn't like the way it sounded. It was missing that deep Italian growl. So we set about designing the MADNESS Edition Exhaust System for the Alfa Romeo Stelvio and we are proud to offer it to you!

The MADNESS Exhausts come in two varieties.

First is the Lusso system. This is made from 2.5" T304 Stainless Steel, mandrel bent, and TIG welded. It is lighter compared to stock and it also features few bends than stock. Creating a more free-flowing less restrictive exhaust. The Lusso system has a resonator in the mid pipe section to produce a more refined sound.

Next up we have the Monza. Again this is made from 2.5" T304 Stainless Steel, mandrel bent, and TIG welded. Where it differs though is in the mid pipe. The Monza Exhaust System does not have a resonator which gives it a raw and untamed sound. This is the system we have installed on our Stelvio and it sounds AMAZING.

More information can be found on our website

Lusso
https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-A...haust-by-madness-lusso-dual-side-exit-pid7254

Monza
https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-A...haust-by-madness-monza-dual-side-exit-pid7257

Let us know if you have any questions

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kits look and sound great. Have you guys have the systems up on the dyno to see what sort of impacts the new setups have on performance?

·
Vendor
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kits look and sound great. Have you guys have the systems up on the dyno to see what sort of impacts the new setups have on performance?
No, we have not dyno'd the Stelvio after we installed the Monza system. Getting these new Alfas to play nice with a dyno has its own set of challenges. The computers really do not like it at all unless you have a quadrifoglio so we have not put much of a priority on it right now. Additionally, most of the horsepower gains these days are found in electronic tuning. You'll get some improvements with an exhaust system but in terms of a horsepower number translation, it will likely be in the single digits.

One day we will but right now we'd rather focus on bringing you most great products like the new MAXFlow Intake System. Those are currently set to ship Fall 2018. We are also working on a MAXPower ECM for the quadrifoglio models and an aggressive spring set.

·
Registered
534 Posts
and an aggressive spring set.
So if the spring set is for the Quad then that means it would be for the Active Suspension. Would that also mean there would be a spring set for the Ti Sport with the Alfa Active Suspension coming?

·
Vendor
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if the spring set is for the Quad then that means it would be for the Active Suspension. Would that also mean there would be a spring set for the Ti Sport with the Alfa Active Suspension coming?
No no, sorry.

We currently offer a mild spring set (about 1.2") for the Stelvio and we are working on a more aggressive set. Neither of those sets is designed for the Quadrifoglio. Has of yet none of our customers you have installed the 1.2" springs have had active suspension. So we do not know if they work with the active suspension at this time. We are currently looking into that however and we will be happy to update you.

We are simultaneously working on a MAXPower ECM for the Quadrifoglio.

·
Registered
534 Posts
No no, sorry.

We currently offer a mild spring set (about 1.2") for the Stelvio and we are working on a more aggressive set. Neither of those sets is designed for the Quadrifoglio. Has of yet none of our customers you have installed the 1.2" springs have had active suspension. So we do not know if they work with the active suspension at this time. We are currently looking into that however and we will be happy to update you.

We are simultaneously working on a MAXPower ECM for the Quadrifoglio.
Ah, got it. Misread your post and assumed the springs were for the Quad as well.

Any updates on springs for the Active Suspension would be appreciated.

Reactions: Peterpan

·
Vendor
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, got it. Misread your post and assumed the springs were for the Quad as well.

Any updates on springs for the Active Suspension would be appreciated.
In theory, the springs should work with active suspension. Alfa uses dampeners that adjust electronically with the DNA modes. So a set of performance springs shouldn't have any effect on them other than making the overall travel shorter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Improve the sound and performance of your Alfa Romeo Stelvio

When we got out Stelvio here at MADNESS we didn't like the way it sounded. It was missing that deep Italian growl. So we set about designing the MADNESS Edition Exhaust System for the Alfa Romeo Stelvio and we are proud to offer it to you!

The MADNESS Exhausts come in two varieties.

First is the Lusso system. This is made from 2.5" T304 Stainless Steel, mandrel bent, and TIG welded. It is lighter compared to stock and it also features few bends than stock. Creating a more free-flowing less restrictive exhaust. The Lusso system has a resonator in the mid pipe section to produce a more refined sound.

Next up we have the Monza. Again this is made from 2.5" T304 Stainless Steel, mandrel bent, and TIG welded. Where it differs though is in the mid pipe. The Monza Exhaust System does not have a resonator which gives it a raw and untamed sound. This is the system we have installed on our Stelvio and it sounds AMAZING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EP1UdDBDiM

More information can be found on our website

Lusso
https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-A...haust-by-madness-lusso-dual-side-exit-pid7254

Monza
https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-A...haust-by-madness-monza-dual-side-exit-pid7257

Let us know if you have any questions

Any chance you could post video showing pictures of installation so us driveway mechanics could see if worth taking on and how reversible it is?

·
Vendor
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any chance you could post video showing pictures of installation so us driveway mechanics could see if worth taking on and how reversible it is?
We do not have photos/video of the install process. Doing an exhaust install is pretty straightforward and both the Lusso and Monza systems ship in several pieces making the install even easier.

Once you get it up on a lift the entire process only takes a couple hours.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Specific weight loss numbers are requested please. Us Lotus guys know weight loss is the true performance enhancer!!

Reactions: AlexZ and Flunx

·
Vendor
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Specific weight loss numbers are requested please. Us Lotus guys know weight loss is the true performance enhancer!!
We have not been able to get the stock system on a scale to weigh. It is a single piece from the headers to the tips. So we do not have an exact number for that but the factory system is substantial, particularly around the mufflers.

Our Monza system weighs in at only 14lbs.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
How is the drone on both systems, i've had aftermarket exhaust on a few vehicles but the drone ruined it for me especially long highway drives

My concern esp with 4 bangers at low rpms... I like the Lusso sound but the Monza system sounds like a Miata motor without proper exhaust tuning...nasty. I can promise you a drone with the Monza system. It just depends on whether its a transient rpm or prolonged. Lusso sounds like an Ansa used to

·
Vendor
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How is the drone on both systems, i've had aftermarket exhaust on a few vehicles but the drone ruined it for me especially long highway drives
My concern esp with 4 bangers at low rpms... I like the Lusso sound but the Monza system sounds like a Miata motor without proper exhaust tuning...nasty. I can promise you a drone with the Monza system. It just depends on whether its a transient rpm or prolonged. Lusso sounds like an Ansa used to
We have the Monza system installed in our Stelvio here at the TX shop. It is actually relatively quiet until you mash the pedal. Once you do any sort of spirited driving you are greeted with a loud deep roar with burps and gurgles. It does not sound like a Miata in any way.

Our Giulia has the Lusso in it right now. It shares the same platform with the Stelvio so they sound virtually identical. That also has a very deep tone with the occasional bark between shifts under hard acceleration. It is not quite as loud as the Monza but it is still very noticeable.

Both of those vehicles are daily drivers with families and toddlers in them. Drone as never been an issue.

If you are local, come check them out for yourself. Recordings never to justice with an exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Agreed. As I do a lot of highway driving, the last thing I'd want is a persisitent drone at highway speed. Might I suggest you mount a simple smartphone with a db meter on dash and record stock at 60,70, 80 and then record both of your exhausts at 60,70 80. That would be a very fair way to evaluate and pretty easy too. Out in Texas, I'm sure its pretty flat so once you get to cruising speed all is well. We northern folk have lots of long grades to climb and it is here that the drones etc get old fast. Stock they have done fabulous job of eliminating it. The weight loss is what really intrigues me and of course a bit more machismo is nice too!

·
Vendor
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed. As I do a lot of highway driving, the last thing I'd want is a persisitent drone at highway speed. Might I suggest you mount a simple smartphone with a db meter on dash and record stock at 60,70, 80 and then record both of your exhausts at 60,70 80. That would be a very fair way to evaluate and pretty easy too. Out in Texas, I'm sure its pretty flat so once you get to cruising speed all is well. We northern folk have lots of long grades to climb and it is here that the drones etc get old fast. Stock they have done fabulous job of eliminating it. The weight loss is what really intrigues me and of course a bit more machismo is nice too!
We've got a couple of videos for comparisons.

This one is in a Giulia but again, they share the same platform so they sound identical.

This is more idle comparisons.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have my MONZA system on!!!!

It was done at the dealership today. They had it done in 1 hour of shop time.

They started it inside and it has a amazing rumble on warm engine.

Drove it out and on the city streets and then freeway and highway.

Normal driving it is a little loud to hear but right what I wanted. really no louder than my GTI with a Magnaflow CAT back

Hit the accelerator hard and it hums very nice, in automatic it burps a bit but use manual paddle shift and bring the revs right up and it will burp real nice on shifts

Drove it in KM but speeds on freeway of 80, 90, 100, 110 and its totally fine inside unless you hit the accelerator hard. put it into A mode and its quiet.
Drive it hard in D and up to my top speed of 180 and even then its not that loud inside and I must say the whole vehicle is very quiet and so smooth

I am so looking forward to the cold start tomorrow morning. I think it will be pretty awesome

·
Vendor
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have my MONZA system on!!!!

It was done at the dealership today. They had it done in 1 hour of shop time.

They started it inside and it has a amazing rumble on warm engine.

Drove it out and on the city streets and then freeway and highway.

Normal driving it is a little loud to hear but right what I wanted. really no louder than my GTI with a Magnaflow CAT back

Hit the accelerator hard and it hums very nice, in automatic it burps a bit but use manual paddle shift and bring the revs right up and it will burp real nice on shifts

Drove it in KM but speeds on freeway of 80, 90, 100, 110 and its totally fine inside unless you hit the accelerator hard. put it into A mode and its quiet.
Drive it hard in D and up to my top speed of 180 and even then its not that loud inside and I must say the whole vehicle is very quiet and so smooth

I am so looking forward to the cold start tomorrow morning. I think it will be pretty awesome
NICE!!!

The Monza really is our favorite system. Of course, we are a little MAD when it comes to exhaust on our vehicles.

One of the best things about the Monza and the Lusso Is that while you are improving the sound you are also making it lighter!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts