Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second time this has happened,radio freezes up,then nothing on the infotainment works at all.Then the whole system goes black and reboots to the start up "Alfa Romeo" screen.Radio comes back up but still does not work for another few minutes.Then seems to work again....

Anyone else see this happen?I have premium sound and Nav.Build date is Aug 2017 so it's not the newer system with Carplay.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Second time this has happened,radio freezes up,then nothing on the infotainment works at all.Then the whole system goes black and reboots to the start up "Alfa Romeo" screen.Radio comes back up but still does not work for another few minutes.Then seems to work again....

Anyone else see this happen?I have premium sound and Nav.Build date is Aug 2017 so it's not the newer system with Carplay.
Good opportunity to get the new system under warranty ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Want to bring it in,but since it only happened a few times not sure how they would diagnose the issue.It's not going to do it for them in the shop.

Will call them and see how soon they can look at it.I would rather have it replaced then worrying about it,but I doubt I will get that lucky.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Has happened to me a few times. When I asked the dealer about it, they could not find anything. The dealer asked that when it happens, if I could try to get a picture of the screen. So far I have not been able to catch it when it happens, it always happens to me when I am driving.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has happened to me a few times. When I asked the dealer about it, they could not find anything. The dealer asked that when it happens, if I could try to get a picture of the screen. So far I have not been able to catch it when it happens, it always happens to me when I am driving.
Not much to take pictures of...either a frozen screen or the Alfa reboot screen.Maybe a video would help,but impossible to get since it happens like once a month or less.Leary of bringing it in for service since i think it will be a waste of time,unless it gets worse i might wait until I bring it in for the 2 new recalls I need done.Always happens when i am driving as well.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
This just happened to me this morning. Had XM satellite on and screen went blank and said radio unavailable, about 2 minutes later system came back on. Called dealer and they said nothing they could do unless it happens while in shop.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This just happened to me this morning. Had XM satellite on and screen went blank and said radio unavailable, about 2 minutes later system came back on. Called dealer and they said nothing they could do unless it happens while in shop.
Just as I suspected,they will ignore the problem as long as they can I am sure.We might have to contact Alfa directly on this issue.Bringing it to the dealer will probably be a waste of time for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
I have seen this (or potentially the issue) many times over the years with my former U-Connect. When XM decides to upgrade or shuffle the channels as they tend to do around the holiday season, there is an unexplainable reset while this process occurs. In U-Connect, there was a display 'Updating Channels' and satellite was unavailable for s period of time while this was underway. So a possible explanation might be revising channels to accept new holiday stations and shuffle things around. If it comes back and operates normally, I would be willing to bet on it.

Hope this is helpful.

Just to note: No issues here but I will watch for this process and confirm when it happens.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So,whoever is having a problem.....

Do you have the older Pre-apple Carplay version or the newer one?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen this (or potentially the issue) many times over the years with my former U-Connect. When XM decides to upgrade or shuffle the channels as they tend to do around the holiday season, there is an unexplainable reset while this process occurs. In U-Connect, there was a display 'Updating Channels' and satellite was unavailable for s period of time while this was underway. So a possible explanation might be revising channels to accept new holiday stations and shuffle things around. If it comes back and operates normally, I would be willing to bet on it.

Hope this is helpful.

Just to note: No issues here but I will watch for this process and confirm when it happens.
I had this every few weeks on my Audi Q5,but it did not make the entire infotainment/nav freeze for 2 minutes and system completely reboot.On my Q5 just the XM would update and would not play music until complete....

I guess anything is possible and i thought of that being the possible cause.Seems a bit dramatic though for the whole system to crash/freeze on the Alfa.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My post Dec 2017 doesn’t freeze, it says updating and continues on in a minute or so. Display of channel information typically freezes after that but it otherwise behaves normally. I’m suspecting the pre Dec 2017 units have insufficient memory which is why they can’t upgrade to CarPlay and why they seem to be glitchy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My post Dec 2017 doesn’t freeze, it says updating and continues on in a minute or so. Display of channel information typically freezes after that but it otherwise behaves normally. I’m suspecting the pre Dec 2017 units have insufficient memory which is why they can’t upgrade to CarPlay and why they seem to be glitchy.
Never seen my Alfa say "updating",but i guess this could be a possible scenario.However when my Audi updated it was obvious and said updating until complete.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Never seen my Alfa say "updating",but i guess this could be a possible scenario.However when my Audi updated it was obvious and said updating until complete.
It’s totally possible the firmware is that radically different? I’m still not sure why they went bespoke MM instead of rummaging through the FCA parts bin for a U-Connect unit.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Oct 2017 for mine.

For me, the sat radio freezes on the preview station for a minute or two. Always assumed it was updating when that happens, generally I switch to phone music during it. The whole system freezing and rebooting is different for me, since it also resets a bunch of the personalization options, like how loud the warning chimes are and radio presets.

I could believe the system has limited memory, which causes issues.

IMO the reason they went with a Magneti Marelli system instead of u-connect was to avoid the bad reviews FCA gets for using it in Maseratis, they obviously wanted to avoid the complaints about shared parts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine didn't reset - but my XM did stop working yesterday. Anytime I would select an XM station there would be no audio.. and it wouldn't allow me to change to another XM station. I could however go back to FM.

Like the other member suggested, I wonder if this is related to XM updates. My focus used to do it about once a month.. of course the status bar would say "Sirius Update....." and a percentage. It handled it more gracefully if this is in fact what is going on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A NEW crash now happening,no screen at all...just black.Drove 20 miles and stayed back the entire time,but radio worked.Turned ignition OFF AND SCREEN CAME ON!Opened car door when parked and then it turned off.

For sure something wrong with this.

·
Registered
208 Posts
edf, just take it in to your dealer and have them run diagnostics to see if they can find the issue. I've got a Ti Oct17 build from Findlay with the premium system but haven't had any problems. Sorry to hear you're having problems.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts