Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got what I considered a good deal on a set of OEM carbon fiber mirror caps for wife's Stelvio last Labor Day and finally got around to installing them.

I watched this video of the procedure on a Giulia:

The attachment sites of the mirror caps on the Stelvio are identical to those shown on the Giulia. I thought the use of a heat gun was a bit excessive and proceeded without one. As it turns out, this was a definite mistake on my part. The plastic on the standard stock caps seems to be pretty brittle and I managed to break off one half of each of the two main attachment clips on both stock caps (in exactly the same place on each piece) when I removed them. My advice: get a heat gun if you don't have one. The one shown in the video can be had for less than $60. No harm was done to the actual mirror assembly. I can't imagine a scenario in which I would remount the stock caps but it is still a shame to break something unnecessarily.

Mounting the news carbon fiber caps was just a matter of carefully guiding and pushing everything into place. This was stressful but uneventful.

Fit and finish is pretty much perfect, as expected for an OEM part, and we are both happy with the result.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fit and finish is pretty much perfect, as expected for an OEM part, and we are both happy with the result.
Carbon caps look great! Do these fit more flush and even with the black plastic frame edge than the body-colored caps you replaced? Mine are still the stock caps and I hate how they sit higher and create a ledge around the mirror edge, like they are too thick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts