Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by my AR dealership to have a liftgate strut replaced. When I checked in, I asked them to also give my tires a little nitrogen because I noticed they were a few pounds low.
The service manager said "we don't have nitrogen for tire inflation but we can put regular air in them".

I thought about that and agreed because I've honestly never seen a significant benefit to nitrogen in this or former cars I've owned. To me, nitrogen has always seemed just as sensitive to temperature change as normal air.
After returning home, I checked the pressure and saw that they did not put air in the tires. Probably because the service manager failed to write it on the service ticket.
Oh well..
Apart from thoughts about an AR dealership that doesn't offer nitrogen , what are your thoughts about the pros and cons of nitrogen?

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I could write a long thing.... But...

Ppppptttthhhhhhhhhhh. Covers it. That's my opinion of nitrogen. If it was free and easy to get, cool. It isn't for the most part so.... Pppppptttthhhhhh.

Yeah it is less affected by temp, etc... Still just air. Still leaks out the tires....pros and cons aren't even worth it simply because almost no one will top it off for free and it isn't worth paying extra for something that doesn't last in most cases IMO. Definitely nothing wrong with using it.. but not worth making an issue over or searching out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just use the 80% nitro mix, it is easy to get.
This exactly. Unless you're able to get rid of that 20% and replace with 100% nitrogen, there's no point. I have a pump in the trunk and adjust air pressure as needed depending on temperature, load, and use.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
NO, Only useful in racing. period

Wonder how many people missed the runway on that one................

·
Registered
746 Posts
Regular air is already 78% nitrogen. Not worth the cost IMO for almost negligible benefits in most cars. However, airplane tires do use pure nitrogen----gigantic temp swings between runway and up to 36,000 feet. The nitrogen helps attenuate these.

80% nitro mix? Does the extra 2% really do anything. And you pay for that mix?

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
260 Posts
It's a money grab by dealerships but the upside is pure N2 is dry.
I've been to some air pumps where the air is so wet, water is dripping from the chuck because they never drain the accumulator tank. If possible try to find some drier air, or get a small compressor for home use.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Its really hard to get that 79% N out of your tires...................

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
But I wonder how pure Nitrous would feel. Maybe it would reduce unsprung weight......

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
A nw Helium filled tire could be called the ALVIN!

Reactions: Six-Pack

·
Registered
70 Posts
But I wonder how pure Nitrous would feel. Maybe it would reduce unsprung weight......
Interesting idea. Save fossil fuels, for fossils.

I wonder if they could put little (very lightweight) wind turbines inside the wheels, so that the air inside the tires, as it's getting up to speed from friction with the rubber tire, and as it spins around faster than the tire when braking, could power Earth. Of course there is that period of time if you're using cruise control that the vehicle may be going the same speed so long that the wind turbines just stop because the air inside the tires would then be spinning at the same speed as the wheels, you know, like the same reason you don't feel the wind when you're in a hot air balloon because you're traveling the speed of the wind. Maybe ten or 12 of the little wind turbines in each wheel and spaced so that you don't need any wheel weights for balancing.

btw/ Pure Nitrogen is 3% lighter than normal air at sea level, so if you need that extra boost, go 100% Nitrogen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts