2019 Stelvio Ti Sport w/ Performance Package
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife had a 2018 Macan that I drove a lot. I've driven a 2018 Macan S as well which helped me decide to buy my Stelvio Ti Sport. I've also driven 2019 and I think 2020 base models as loaner cars. My wife is now leasing a 2019 Cayenne E Hybrid. I also helped her buy a used 2008 911 cabriolet a couple of years ago. So I have a fair amount of experience with Porsche's. Some things they do very well, but are a little over hyped IMO. Plus options on new ones are ridiculously expensive

Reactions: OhioF1

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
This quote from the Macan description sums it up well.

"Few crossovers on the road deliver the kind of predictable handling, precise steering, and stunning acceleration in a package that's otherwise so TAME."

Tame. The "best" SUV that Car and Driver rates is best at being tame.

F#[email protected]%/g tame.

The Audi's are described as "crushingly competent". Great description since that's how my soul feel when I have to drive one. Crushed by boring, numbing, competence.

Holy give-up-on-life Batman!!!

Could this is be why auto sales are tanking and magazine readership is in the tiolet? It certainly is why I cancelled my suscriptions after 2 decades of readership, and decided to stop spending money on new cars (until I drove the Alfa, even then..just want the Alfa, everything else is too "tame" and "competent" for my money).

At no point in my life have I ever dreamed about spending upwards of $50,000 on something tame, or crushingly competent. What the F#$k happened to make the world lose it's lust for life???

If these guys describe what your looking for as a driver....ah..well..whatever...guess I get to have my cranky old man card laminated finally....

To answer your question...the only way the Macan is the "best" is if you want something that is fast, and tame. I dont even want my dogs to be tame.

To me Tame = boring and boring = trash.

Personally that is not "best".

Not even in the same ballpark as "best".

I've owned Porsches...last car Porsche made I enjoyed driving was built in 2008..and even that wasn't as fun to drive as an older one. Best Porsche I've ever driven was built in the 90's (1998 manual transmission air-cooled turbo 911, amazingly fun, and dangerous if driven wrong. Not tame.) Porsche should be ashamed of themselves...tame....a Porsche should not be tame. Tame is VW.

·
Registered
14 Posts

"Few crossovers on the road deliver the kind of predictable handling, precise steering, and stunning acceleration in a package that's otherwise so TAME."

If you want those qualities but don't want tame, then Alfa Romeo. Actual ultimate driving machine...

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I borrowed a friend's 69 GTO for a week once.

....yeah....that's a lust for life.

Something about punching the gas and all of a sudden looking at the sky as the nose raises a foot in air and the engine begins to create it's own gravitational pull...while at the same time the steering wheel becomes almost worthless and you are fighting to keep you head up and breath..and go in a straight line....

Yeah, teach ya how to live. Good stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The Audi's are described as "crushingly competent". Great description since that's how my soul feel when I have to drive one. Crushed by boring, numbing, competence.

Holy give-up-on-life Batman!!!

Could this is be why auto sales are tanking and magazine readership is in the tiolet? It certainly is why I cancelled my suscriptions after 2 decades of readership, and decided to stop spending money on new cars (until I drove the Alfa, even then..just want the Alfa, everything else is too "tame" and "competent" for my money).

At no point in my life have I ever dreamed about spending upwards of $50,000 on something tame, or crushingly competent. What the F#$k happened to make the world lose it's lust for life???

If these guys describe what your looking for as a driver....ah..well..whatever...guess I get to have my cranky old man card laminated finally....

To answer your question...the only way the Macan is the "best" is if you want something that is fast, and tame. I dont even want my dogs to be tame.

To me Tame = boring and boring = trash.

Personally that is not "best".

Not even in the same ballpark as "best".

I've owned Porsches...last car Porsche made I enjoyed driving was built in 2008..and even that wasn't as fun to drive as an older one. Best Porsche I've ever driven was built in the 90's (1998 manual transmission air-cooled turbo 911, amazingly fun, and dangerous if driven wrong. Not tame.) Porsche should be ashamed of themselves...tame....a Porsche should not be tame. Tame is VW.
LOL!! But how do you really feel!! I chose a Ti Sport over a Macan S...no regrets! My wife's Cayenne E-Hybrid has loads of tech, but I never think about driving it. There's no fun factor for me. Yes it's fast, but apparently there must be more to make a car fun!

·
Registered
44 Posts
How is this even a conversation??? The Macan S (with real world options, not the ‘base’ nonsense) is like $18k more than the Stelvio.

It is a good looking vehicle but in no way drives $18k better. Or even $10k better.

Let’s talk when they sell a car the same price as the Stelvio...

For the price of a well equipped Macan S you can get a Stelvio QV and then eat Macans for breakfast (like I did to one yesterday...:p)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got a Macan for 4 days, I drove it all over during a long weekend, it was a dealer loaner since my 911 was in for service. This experience convinced me on buying another Stelvio when I ended the lease for the 1st one. This time I bought it because I want to keep it for a long time, may be for ever. The way they drive can't be compared.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the only macan i would get would be the GTS. i test drove a 2020 macan S, the steering feel isnt bad and the chassis was good but overall the driving was too bland for me. It did show me how good the GTS would be though but i believe the ferrari derived 2.9L twin turbo is what i really want.

·
Registered
157 Posts
How is this even a conversation??? The Macan S (with real world options, not the ‘base’ nonsense) is like $18k more than the Stelvio.

It is a good looking vehicle but in no way drives $18k better. Or even $10k better.

Let’s talk when they sell a car the same price as the Stelvio...
Truth ! Car reviews should consider this. They act like the added cost is no big thing when comparing vehicles. At the price point, there is no better performance SUV to the Stelvio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts