Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 2 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6,808 Posts
IF it's the Lucas Oil, AND it's old enough stock that the label doesn't carry the current stamps...

I would not buy it.

Just a personal hang up, but I don't like using anything but relatively new oil in my car. Reason is, if it can go bad after 12 months in an engine not being used, like the factory says... What keeps it from going bad in the bottle? After a year. I have seen auto parts stores keep the same bottle of oil for years, they don't ever throw out oil because it's old. Far as I know they will sell ten year old oil if they have it in stock.....

No way really to be sure what you are buying is new other then to make sure it has the most current certs and labeling avalible. So.. IMO if the bottle isn't carrying the current certs... It's old.

Fine in a pinch but for an oil change... Nah. Get the newest bottle you can. They are all the same price, so why not?

(I understand theoretically in the bottle it is exposed to less air and other environmental factors that make it go bad, still why even bother? Not like old oil saves money, or anything)

· Registered
6,808 Posts
Yup.

Besides the Mopar oil they also make the Shell Helix/Maserati oil which advertises the exact same oil technology as Penzoil Platinum Euro and is the factory fill in the same engines used by Maserati.

1 - 2 of 16 Posts