Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a similar thread on the guilia forum and that it would be fun to post here.
Is your stelvio going to replace a current automobile or is it for fun?
My Stelvio replaced my Toyota Prius V (worst car in the world in my opinion). Plus I was tired of owning cookie cutter cars.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My 2016 Mazda CX-9 is going to my wife so I can get the Stelvio

·
Registered
36 Posts
Replacing my Nissan Murano with this bad boy in the new year. I am just not sure if I should wait for spring or summer 2018

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife (who was driving an Infiniti JX35) had been hounding me because she liked driving my Volvo XC60 a lot better. I gave her the XC60 and bought the Stelvio for myself but we kept the JX35 for long trips and when we need that 3rd row seating. I will say, compared to the Volvo and the Stelvio maintenance schedule, the Infiniti is a LOT less costly to maintain.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My wife (who was driving an Infiniti JX35) had been hounding me because she liked driving my Volvo XC60 a lot better. I gave her the XC60 and bought the Stelvio for myself but we kept the JX35 for long trips and when we need that 3rd row seating. I will say, compared to the Volvo and the Stelvio maintenance schedule, the Infiniti is a LOT less costly to maintain.

...... and i bet a LOT more reliable !!

My SA told me the first oil change and service is covered and paid for by Alpha but after that each oil change would be around $175 with a frequency of one visit a year. What maintenance schedule are you talking about? Please comment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Manual has all kinds of stuff I wasn't expecting. Says you gotta change plugs every 30k I believe (Infiniti has titanium plugs -- first scheduled replacement is 109k miles). I believe there are drive belts or something else that needs to be replaced before I would have expected. I will have to dig out the manual again because there is a lot of other stuff in there. Infiniti is basically oil change only till 100k. My JX35 has 80k and if not for warped rotor in the rear, I wouldn't even have replaced any brake shoes yet. Alfa does cover 1st service at 10k. My dealer packages a deal for 6 oil changes and tire rotations for $299.95 and they also rotate the tires on those occasions. I have to take it to the dealer which is not exactly convenient for an oil change but, for that deal, I was in!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been lurking on the Giulia forum and they have a thread about the oil change issues. Here is the link DIY oil change Giulia Ti AWD - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum

There is some good advise and one user who will test a device that resets the maintenance light.
I guess to some this is an issue but some time ago my wife had a landrover that basically has the same oil change issues at first (dealer had to reset light) but was later remedied. I have owned alfa's for many years and they all were "hands on" type of vehicles. That is what made them appealing to me. Later we got a FJ100 landcruiser and it was sooooo boring until it had a electrical gremlin (spent over 5K and it never got fixed) but that is another story.
For me the thrill of the alfa, the thrill of not driver a car every other person has, and the excitement I feel while driving it makes it all worth it. Yet I am a hands on type of person with my vehicles. They all have there pluses and minuses.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Manual has all kinds of stuff I wasn't expecting. Says you gotta change plugs every 30k I believe (Infiniti has titanium plugs -- first scheduled replacement is 109k miles). I believe there are drive belts or something else that needs to be replaced before I would have expected. I will have to dig out the manual again because there is a lot of other stuff in there. Infiniti is basically oil change only till 100k. My JX35 has 80k and if not for warped rotor in the rear, I wouldn't even have replaced any brake shoes yet. Alfa does cover 1st service at 10k. My dealer packages a deal for 6 oil changes and tire rotations for $299.95 and they also rotate the tires on those occasions. I have to take it to the dealer which is not exactly convenient for an oil change but, for that deal, I was in!
The Porsche Macan manual says the same thing, change spark plugs every 30k miles. So after a lot of research we found out that if you drove the car hard everyday like you were on a race track, then you needed to do that. Basically they were covering themselves for liability. If you maintain the car as Porsche suggested then you could go racing everyday. Incidentally, as a nationwide average, a Macan oil change costs $400!! (look it up)
Now i don't know if the same kind of thinking is the norm at Alpha, but it seems excessive given today's technology with titanium plugs. Some manufacturers even warranty their plugs for over 75k miles!

·
Registered
27 Posts
It'll replace my 2015 Mercedes C Break

1 - 20 of 35 Posts