Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Stelvio Owner here, 2018 Base model. Built in Sept 2017 I assume.

I have around 200 miles on the car and the car has thrown all kinds of issues in the past 4 days:

- Day1: we drove the car (started all well, no issues) for around 10 miles parked the car in a lot. Came back say 30 mins later - left turn signal failure, brake light failure. Hopped out, everything is fine dash signal indicator going fast. Resolved next day on its own
- Day3 - Started the car, service engine light/message came on disabling Auto Start / Stop
- Day3 - tried restarting multiple time, relocking the hood. No use
- Day4 - The issue is still there. Start the car to idle for around 30 - 40 mins. No improvement turned it off
- Day4 - Scheduled apt with Service. Turned it on to start my drive to the dealership. All is well. I still head to them to check. Just after start the tailgate didnt close auto so I had to manually push it and the power windows acted funny to be operated from the driver door console

Major issue which came up while driving - Climate Control failed. The dash displayed 20 F when it was 70 outside. Crazy ride.

The issue remained (thank god) when I reached the dealership. They are fixing the temp sensors.

I read the forum thoroughly in these five days especially the last few days to know all the errors which flash of no good reason are because of the battery but I don’t know about the climate control.

The dealership while taking in the car updated me that the battery is good.

So I got some questions here:

- how do I know if the battery is faulty?
- have owned multiple cars but never has a car battery died with my usage. I would either drive for hours a day or the car may sit (I do start the car everyday) for 2 - 3 days. What does it want?
- can a faulty climate control sensor drain the battery?

Thanks a lot. Good forum here lot of knowledge sharing.:smile

·
Registered
309 Posts
That start/ stop and if it throws the check engine and service engine is all a simple software update that the tech will do to keep it to the newest update. It can also lock into A mode. Simple update nothing to worry about

Batteries and dealerships/ shops can be a nightmare. They "test" it with their machine and unless it comes back with a damaged cell and it has a charge witch it will after being driven you can kinda be in a battle unless the service manager really wants to swap it out for you.

Many cars these days are very sensitive and temperamental and it can have a few quirks that hopefully your tech can sort out and resolve and not have them come back.

I just was in a rental Lincoln last week and it had 2000 Km on it and the one electric door would not open from the inside, the check engine light was on and it often was beeping for a reason I could not figure out. Retnal guy said they have to send them all back for recalls and repairs

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sounds like the dealership didn't do the recall for the rear hatch seal in a timely matter. Have them pull that area in the back of vehicle and I bet you have evidence of water intrusion. That laundry list of failures is typical on vehicles that got electricals damaged by water.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a lemon
Thanks for your response. Although I haven't faced a lemon car as of date but probably a car would be declared one if the issues don't stop occurring or aren't resolved timely correct?

This is the first visit to the dealer for a complaint, waiting for the outcome. As all do I would prefer driving a car rather than keeping it in the service center. Hope things get better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That start/ stop and if it throws the check engine and service engine is all a simple software update that the tech will do to keep it to the newest update. It can also lock into A mode. Simple update nothing to worry about

Batteries and dealerships/ shops can be a nightmare. They "test" it with their machine and unless it comes back with a damaged cell and it has a charge witch it will after being driven you can kinda be in a battle unless the service manager really wants to swap it out for you.

Many cars these days are very sensitive and temperamental and it can have a few quirks that hopefully your tech can sort out and resolve and not have them come back.

I just was in a rental Lincoln last week and it had 2000 Km on it and the one electric door would not open from the inside, the check engine light was on and it often was beeping for a reason I could not figure out. Retnal guy said they have to send them all back for recalls and repairs

Thanks for your response. Post handing the car to the SA I sent him a mail (had alerted him that I would send one) listing all the things I would want him to get checked on the car. Over the phone itself I had asked him to check for the software version etc. if that is updated looking at the VIN. He said yes to that but nonetheless I still asked to check for the latest software in the email I sent.

He kept on saying that it is the battery. It needs to be charged. Now, I don't drive much that means a car would throw such issues. Have owned multiple cars in the past and same driving patterns no issues at all with the battery.

A day has passed at the service center no updates. Keeping fingers crossed for a sensible fix.:|

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the dealership didn't do the recall for the rear hatch seal in a timely matter. Have them pull that area in the back of vehicle and I bet you have evidence of water intrusion. That laundry list of failures is typical on vehicles that got electricals damaged by water.

Thanks for your response. Before buying the car I had checked on the MOPAR recall website and saw that all the recalls were completed. Should I have checked something more?

·
Registered
309 Posts
there has been issues with some of the batteries. Maybe to start they may trickle charge it up and get a nice slow charge into it to bring it up and then drive it often for at least 30 minutes to get it fully charged. If some of it comes up hopefully they will replace the battery

I have a 2018 model with a Sept 17 build and other than me draining the battery dead detailing the car and open/ close the tailgate to kill it dead it has been fine. After I drained it it threw all sorts of lights and such and I drove it a hour and it all went away and been ok since. It has been -30C here all week and I was away last week and left it in the cold and it started fine

If you have a good dealer and trained tech you will be just fine. I had way more problems with my last Yukon with its battery

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Surprising how quick some things can kill the batteries. They have the CCA's needed to start, but the reserve is lousy!! This spring I intend to look into a lightweight Lithium replacement. Would love to get the weight under 4000lbs!! I bet the new exhuast is at least 5-7 lbs lighter already and its very common for Li batteries to be 30lbs lighter. Pulling the spare would do it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there has been issues with some of the batteries. Maybe to start they may trickle charge it up and get a nice slow charge into it to bring it up and then drive it often for at least 30 minutes to get it fully charged. If some of it comes up hopefully they will replace the battery

I have a 2018 model with a Sept 17 build and other than me draining the battery dead detailing the car and open/ close the tailgate to kill it dead it has been fine. After I drained it it threw all sorts of lights and such and I drove it a hour and it all went away and been ok since. It has been -30C here all week and I was away last week and left it in the cold and it started fine

If you have a good dealer and trained tech you will be just fine. I had way more problems with my last Yukon with its battery
Thanks for your response. I drive very less each day but need to own a car because you do need a car home but really disappointed to learn that I would have to drive every day to keep these battery issues from occurring. I never imagined this can be an issue with a car. How many miles a day do you recommend to drive? The dealer recommended 50 - 60 average every day. I mean where should I go :grin

I hope the dealer has some trained techs.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks for your response. I drive very less each day but need to own a car because you do need a car home but really disappointed to learn that I would have to drive every day to keep these battery issues from occurring. I never imagined this can be an issue with a car. How many miles a day do you recommend to drive? The dealer recommended 50 - 60 average every day. I mean where should I go :grin

I don't drive my Stelvio that much. In 9 months of owning it I have just shy of 4000KM on it total. It can sit for a week without going anywhere but it has always started up for me. Maybe I don't have that problem battery like some of you are having.

I would hope the dealer would swap it out for you as they can claim it as a warranty job to Alfa Romeo.

Yes a good tech is critical to being able to sort out what is happening. I see that all the time with my job and our fleet of equipment. We have all new stuff and it is constantly doing something to throw Engine lights or some sort of warning system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't drive my Stelvio that much. In 9 months of owning it I have just shy of 4000KM on it total. It can sit for a week without going anywhere but it has always started up for me. Maybe I don't have that problem battery like some of you are having.

I would hope the dealer would swap it out for you as they can claim it as a warranty job to Alfa Romeo.

Yes a good tech is critical to being able to sort out what is happening. I see that all the time with my job and our fleet of equipment. We have all new stuff and it is constantly doing something to throw Engine lights or some sort of warning system.
Thanks for sharing your drive pattern. Something similar my driving needs are.

The car has been at the dealer for 2 days now and I haven't heard from them. The SA did say while taking the car in that the initial test say the battery is just fine (I was a bit disappointed) and then he said they would run tests on it while it is in for the repair on the climate control. The climate control piece is making me concerned if it is going to take a while for me to get back in the car because he said they would have to file a claim which would take a day or two and then order parts.

I guess I shouldn't be starting the car everyday and keep it on idle (that's what I thought is good for the car) considering it is costing me more battery power and idling doesn't recharge it well?

·
Registered
51 Posts
For me I was getting Start stop disabled and some electronic throttle service error msg and the stelvio would go into limp mode (scary when it happened on the highway). did it a couple times. they swapped the battery and hasn't happened since. Knock on wood. There has been a couple posts of recalls being done incorrectly (I think it was related to water intrusion in the front) so it's something to ask about to make sure. try contacting alfacares here on the forums see if there is something they can do.

You shouldn't need to start it everyday. bug the dealer, bug alfa, try another dealer. It's a pain but once it's fixed the driving experience makes it worth it. But I won't even get into the frustration of finding out features you are told are there, and listed in the manual, aren't actually and depend on the month they built it (and probably phase of the moon). I am told this is part of the joy of owning an Alfa.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You don't need to start it every day. If the car is not altered IE: Aftermarket Alarms there is basically no parasitic drain so it should be fine. I have left mine 2 weeks in the cold and it fires up right away. I have covered parking but its not heated and I never plug in the block heaters in any of our cars, even in -30.

I hope you get it fixed soon. Parts can be a delay as these are so new I think many dealerships have slim parts rooms of things. I hope they offer you a loaner car as well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for your response. ..... How many miles a day do you recommend to drive? The dealer recommended 50 - 60 average every day. I mean where should I go :grin

That 50/60 miles a day thing is very strange - very strange indeed: a load of ______! (fill in the blank)

Any modern car should be able to go weeks without driving, no matter what the phantom battery use is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me I was getting Start stop disabled and some electronic throttle service error msg and the stelvio would go into limp mode (scary when it happened on the highway). did it a couple times. they swapped the battery and hasn't happened since. Knock on wood. There has been a couple posts of recalls being done incorrectly (I think it was related to water intrusion in the front) so it's something to ask about to make sure. try contacting alfacares here on the forums see if there is something they can do.

You shouldn't need to start it everyday. bug the dealer, bug alfa, try another dealer. It's a pain but once it's fixed the driving experience makes it worth it. But I won't even get into the frustration of finding out features you are told are there, and listed in the manual, aren't actually and depend on the month they built it (and probably phase of the moon). I am told this is part of the joy of owning an Alfa.
Thanks for your response. This is my first try with the dealer I bought the car from. Frankly, I have read the posts here related to the battery and then thought it may be an Italian machinery thing that it has to run or else the battery loses its capacity. I did start from the thought that I have owned multiple cars and never ever the car has shown an characteristics of "drive me or you wont be able to"

You don't need to start it every day. If the car is not altered IE: Aftermarket Alarms there is basically no parasitic drain so it should be fine. I have left mine 2 weeks in the cold and it fires up right away. I have covered parking but its not heated and I never plug in the block heaters in any of our cars, even in -30.

I hope you get it fixed soon. Parts can be a delay as these are so new I think many dealerships have slim parts rooms of things. I hope they offer you a loaner car as well.
Thanks for your response. Well it had been 3 days without an update since I gave the car in. I called the SA today finally to ask for an update. He says Alfa wants us to check the wiring and share more details before they approve the fix on Climate Control. Checking the wiring made me nervous and then I reminded him of the battery concern I have. I doubt they are even serious about fixing the battery or even considering it may be bad. I had connected with another dealer before turning the car in here, the communication wasn't that great I would say. I guess I have been pampered earlier by the service centers of other car manu., always walked in and ALWAYS managed to get a loaner with choices. I learnt from the SA that their loaners were out and there is a two week waiting for one.:eek They did get me a car though.

That 50/60 miles a day thing is very strange - very strange indeed: a load of ______! (fill in the blank)

Any modern car should be able to go weeks without driving, no matter what the phantom battery use is.
Thanks for your response. I had thought of the same. Researching on this forum made me think otherwise, there are posts where people are talking about trickle charging their Stelvios. The Guilia forum too has that.

the manual says a month without a tender.
Thanks for your response. I would find that in the manual to highlight it to the SA.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned in any of the battery threads, but one thing that seems to be a common theme noticed on one of the UK forum threads is that the battery might be going flat due to the infotainment on/off power button 'sticking'! Not saying that's always the case, but it's worth keeping in mind.

FWIW, I have a little voltmeter display (/ USB charger) plugged into the cigarette lighter socket which is useful to keep an eye on the battery voltage, and I also have a trickle charger to keep the battery 'topped up'.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
little stuff that might help a little bit - use the inside door lock, as it dpesn't fold (and the require unfolding) the mirrors, and turns the lights off right away instead of the courtesy time, use D mode as the alternator runs when you take your foot off the gas, so I would imagine needs some 'momentum' to accomplish anything, which it's not likely to have if you've been in 8th gear at 1800 rpm.
I dunno, it seems silly to think about stuff like this, but between 21st century niceties and questionable battery quality ...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I know I keep asking this in these threads....

Where are you storing your key?

If you are keeping it close enough that the link between the key and the car is able to function (IE: the way the car knows the key is close by for the doors to unlock when you touch the handle) which is 100-300 ft depending, then you are keeping the car in a standby mode that consumes a small amount of battery power constantly. Done every day, most all day, it will cause a low voltage situation in the car, and it can happen with any and all cars that use a proximity system for the lock/unlock.

I use a metal coffee can to keep my keys in to kill the signal, I have never had a low voltage problem while doing this and I do not believe that to be coincidence. The couple times I have not done this I have noticed weirdness, like the hatch not opening all the way, that I do not notice when I keep the key in the can.

It's called a faraday cage, do a google search. People sell boxes, that is unnecessary as a lot of things can kill the signal, however using something to kill that constant signal when you are not going to be using the car for hours or days is pretty important in modern cars and can save a lot of headaches IMO. Most people have enough interference or space between where the car is stored and where the key is kept to not have a problem, but some of us don't and we can have issues IMO.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts