Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I get into my ALFA for a real/long drive, it's like the the white devil/red devil thing starts up and I have to be careful to do most of the "racing" in my head, and about the traffic and how to get out in front and not so much the speed, and then just cruise and pay attention, right. Tuesday morning after the Richmond Marathon weekend, at the Valet entrance of The Quirk Hotel in Richmond, VA., I put a fresh large cup of coffee into the cupholder and situate myself in the already warm red sport seats, and slip onto I-95 at the W. Leigh Street entrance in Jackson Ward, heading south to Florida.

That first run on I-95 from Richmond to Petersburg where I-85 splits off heading down forwards Durham, that run is a great 20 miles of three lanes of some big sweeping curves and small rolling hills, and it's usually busy and the race there is from the James River to the Appomattox River bridges. Not everyone knows that's the race, but it is, and has been for a long time. There are a number of state troopers that hang out in several places, so you do have to manage your speed. But after that section, and going back to mostly 2 lane driving for a long way, there's not much going on, but things still happen...

Somewhere just south of the border on I-95 in North Carolina, I was cruising along with a Cayenne and some Volvo thing. We were clipping along at the speed that an attentive driver can avoid unnecessary conflicts with authorities, even if stopped, and I was letting my cruise control keep me from getting randy with it. There are those stretches of I-95 where there's nothing but trees, the middle of the forrest and we'd entered one of those sections, where also, trees filled the median and are tight on both sides of the two lanes.

So we're gaining a little speed together, the Cayenne and Volvo ahead of me by one bar of my adaptive CC, and they're side by side. We're still below jail speeds, still in our little formation and from freaking out of nowhere a huge bird came flying down, left to right and within a foot of the right hand emergency lane and just in front of the Volvo thing, grabbed a rabbit, or squirrel, something, and lifted up within inches of the Volvo's windshield. In just longer than the blink of an eye, the freaking Bald Eagle lifts up above the Volvo and takes a couple of hard flaps of its wings and is then as high as the tree tops when I went under him. The Volvo driver had nowhere to go, and the eagle must have known it. And maybe the eagle counted on the airflow over top of the Volvo, because it seemed as though the eagle did ride up the air going over that Volvo.

Freaking huge Bald Eagle - hope one of the other drivers had a dash cam...

Arrivederci

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Asphalt Grass

Crossing the I-95 downtown Richmond James River Bridge looking east down the river, with Church Hill on the left, and Rocket's Landing to the right, where the "run" to the Appomattox River bridge starts. Tobacco road.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a nesting pair of Bald Eagles the I can watch from my deck. They have raised 2 chicks every year
They are amazing: I use to have a Miata, and one morning was top down, driving along a two lane through the woods when one came straight up the road about 20 feet in the air, right over me - he was way wider than the Miata...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Better than the vulture dining on a roadkill rabbit... whole passenger side with blood and rabbit fur.
Some birds you just can't trust...

For the aged - Red Skelton use to do a quick joke skit with two seagulls, Gertrude and Heathcliff:

Gertrude says to Heathcliff, "You see that shiny Cadillac down there at that car wash?"

"Already spotted it," replied Heathcliff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.....I do love that bridge near Havre de Grace that usually takes my breath away. I think that's the view of that river, correct?
No, you were at closest about 90 miles north of the James River, which is down in Richmond, VA, where the traffic is not always the best, but much more rational than up there on the the Capital and northern I-95 corridor run. Havre de Grace is on the Susquehanna River, which is one of the Great American rivers, also. One of the main rivers flowing into the Chesapeake Bay.

I was getting ready to walk across the Susquehanna River bridge in Duncannon PA, after a month of walking north from Afton Mountain, VA, on the Appalachian Trail, but there standing by that river, decided to stop walking and I hitchhiked up to Ann Arbor, MI, to see a girl instead. (1978)

Happy Motoring - and best of luck if you have to do that I-95 north of DC run again, any time soon.

A shot from when I use to live up in NJ:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts