Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Amazing how the E-Pace resembles the Stelvio, particularly the rear.
Just watched the global premiere of the IPace- pretty impressive -small though

Stelvio is much more rooomier than the E Pace it feels cramped.
Stelvio looks better IMO cleaner without those plastic side things and no spoiler. And no shark fin antenna on top.
The tail lights are similar

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, nice looking vehicle.....the 296HP option is nice....but the E-pace is north of 55K loaded.

Not trading in my TI Sport :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Agreed, nice looking vehicle.....the 296HP option is nice....but the E-pace is north of 55K loaded.

Not trading in my TI Sport :)
Stelvio still nicest looking IMO outside of the Macan.. I just like cleaner looks. I used to like the F Pace until the Stelvio came out :smile

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Transverse engine, FWD bias, smaller size, high price- Jags are full of electrical glitches.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I missed the transverse part and FWD....lame. Love the RWD bias with the Stelvio

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
And no shark fin antenna on top.
look again, there's a shark fin antenna on the Stelvio too :wink

Transverse engine, FWD bias, smaller size, high price- Jags are full of electrical glitches.
To the best of my understanding the E-Pace is based on the Range Rover Evoque, it's just a re-engineered body / interior in the Jag style, and the new engine. It should be the same very good AWD and 5 clutch torque vectoring system.

Many people on here actually traded in an Evoque to get their Stelvio (Myself included), so while I strongly think you'll find a certain bias here towards the Stelvio (shocker!), you'll probably also find many people who consider the Evoque (and by proxy the E-Pace) to likely be a very good vehicle. In fact had the E-Pace been available last fall it's very possible I would never have even test drove the Stelvio.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It’s convergent design. Pretty much every functional crossover with a swept back (namely not a boxy design) is going to look more or less like a CX-5. The spoiler will exist to hold the brake light and hide the hinge etc. There is really only one form for a small SUV and all of them are going to functionally look alike.

E-Pace actually drove well. It is however tiny, about the size of my wife’s Focus ST, and for all that power at 296 HP kind of sluggish and unbalanced. It does have a better ride than the F-Pace though. I found the F-Pace to have a harsh and unrefined ride. The Jag infotainment was also kind of slow and painful to use. Not that the Stelvio gets a pass on infotainment, but Stelvio is immensely more satisfying to drive. Now if the ship time from Milan were less slow I’d be appreciative.

·
Registered
250 Posts
look again, there's a shark fin antenna on the Stelvio too :wink
HaHa, how did I miss that? The picture I looked at to compare the sides did not have one LOL..
It really stands out on the EPace picture
Stelvio still looks better :grin

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn't touch a Jaguar again I had 18 months of **** with two rejected Fpace,
Epace has lots of reports already of badly fitting panels on forums.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I test drove the F-Pace and was surprisingly unimpressed. I was expecting to love it but just didn't. I only drove the 25T model so perhaps the 30T or supercharged is better.
So far Stelvio is tops. I was going to test drive the GLC but based on specs don't think it will compare to either or my current car so I haven't bothered. Plus I find the design basic and a little boring.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
I test drove the F-Pace and was surprisingly unimpressed. I was expecting to love it but just didn't. I only drove the 25T model so perhaps the 30T or supercharged is better.
So far Stelvio is tops. I was going to test drive the GLC but based on specs don't think it will compare to either or my current car so I haven't bothered. Plus I find the design basic and a little boring.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4DD986225162635369024DD986225162635&FORM=VIRE
I enjoy most of his You Tube videos - a big yawn for the F-Pace.

For Alfistis, the closest he's come is the Giulia Quattrofolio, still an interesting read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaTn3gaCQYk#action=share

Prior to committing to Stella, I scoured the www for videos and negative comments (problems) and found absolutely nothing negative other than nits picked off by auto journalist fan boys looking for snark. Honestly this forum is the best baseline digest for owner experiences. Compared to others, it's pretty darned positive around here. Nothing more obnoxiously righteous than a consumer scorned. We just don't have that and it's obvious Job 1 for Alfa Romeo is to solve issues as they occur.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I did drive a GLC. They have by far the nicest interior fit and general trim in the segment. The GLC is very... plain. It’s boring to drive and boring to look at. But it does have immense cargo space and is solid. I didn’t feel like it was going to go out of control but it definitely wasn’t exciting or fun like Stelvio or the new X3.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I didn't actually test drive the F-Pace, but I did test drive the RR Velar which has similar engine and performance options. I found that the base model Velar, along with most offerings in this class, is simply underwhelming and lethargic on performance until you get to the upper bounds of the price range (usually well over $60k, sometimes $70). Sure the Velar R Dynamic with the supercharged V6 and fully adaptive suspension is a great performing vehicle, but optioned like that it worked out to $76k if I remember correctly. I got in the base Stelvio with 18" wheels for a test drive and felt that it was 9/10th of the performance at 45% lower price. Now the Ti Sport is really about 9.9/10th of the same performance (it doesn't have the full adaptive suspension or it would be 11/10th) for what is still 30% lower price than the Velar (or F-Pace, they are about the same).

Compare the Stelvio to vehicles truly in the same price range, and it's by a metric mile the class leader in performance and value. FFS, there's a new Buick which tops out at $60k now, and no one, even the terrible reviewer who wrote both it's review and a very poorly done review for the Stelvio would claim they are in the same class of vehicle for anything except cargo space.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I didn't actually test drive the F-Pace, but I did test drive the RR Velar which has similar engine and performance options. I found that the base model Velar, along with most offerings in this class, is simply underwhelming and lethargic on performance until you get to the upper bounds of the price range (usually well over $60k, sometimes $70). Sure the Velar R Dynamic with the supercharged V6 and fully adaptive suspension is a great performing vehicle, but optioned like that it worked out to $76k if I remember correctly. I got in the base Stelvio with 18" wheels for a test drive and felt that it was 9/10th of the performance at 45% lower price. Now the Ti Sport is really about 9.9/10th of the same performance (it doesn't have the full adaptive suspension or it would be 11/10th) for what is still 30% lower price than the Velar (or F-Pace, they are about the same).

Compare the Stelvio to vehicles truly in the same price range, and it's by a metric mile the class leader in performance and value. FFS, there's a new Buick which tops out at $60k now, and no one, even the terrible reviewer who wrote both it's review and a very poorly done review for the Stelvio would claim they are in the same class of vehicle for anything except cargo space.
Who would pay 60K for a Buick? Stelvio's price point is great but it does need a few more bells and whistles to compare head to head (like a HUD and a better infotainment system and stereo option like most others in the class offer as options) as well as some minor tech upgrades they could do without raising the price significantly. When I compared and sat in a 90K Levante (my dealer is a Maserati dealer too) and a 53K Stelvio honestly could not justify the additional 40K unless you need or really want the added performance of the Maserati. The Stelvio is pretty nice, pretty roomy for its size and quite reasonable at 55K loaded IMO. Its fun to drive, handles well, seems great in snow, and so far seems to be fairly immune to any major mechanical issues. They need to keep building confidence in the brand and reliability to get people to switch from their "trusted" brands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts