Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm new here and just purchased my 2021 Stelvio Q. We were really excited to get this considering the performance and looks of the car. But can anyone help me understand how a car just off the lot can throw a "Service Engine" light in less than 200 miles? This is really concerning. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow, but if anyone has any clues or suggestions I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
86 Posts
are you following run in procedure or already giving it full beans? It might not quite be ready yet.

in any case dealer should inspect and at the very least reset the codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys, Got the code from Advance Auto; P28C3. Google search => "EVAP System High Load Purge Line "B" Performance". Doesn't seem to make an impact on the drivability, but it shut off the DNA dial. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi Guys, Got the code from Advance Auto; P28C3. Google search => "EVAP System High Load Purge Line "B" Performance". Doesn't seem to make an impact on the drivability, but it shut off the DNA dial. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks!
How many miles do you have on the quad?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wild guess here is you're pushing the car hard. Not sure if '21's have this, my '18 and friend's '19 quad had this... At about 500/600 miles, the car will feel a lot faster than it did. There's some sort of "safety" or "nanies" that prevent you.

The error as stated is nothing to worry about, this happens often on moded 2.0 engines relating to the intake venturi.

Your options that I can think of are the following;

1. Get a OBD reader that can clear faults, you'll need a bypass installed which is a pain to install on Stelvios, but then you can clear the fault.
2. Pull the negative terminal for 15-20min. On first start, turn wheel all the way to the left, wait 5sec, then turn all the way to the right, wait 5 sec, center wheel, wait 5 sec. Turn off car. You need to complete this within 30sec. Start the car, if you still have xmas lights, drive the car for a couple of minutes, start the car again, repeat as necessary.

If you still have the fault or it shows up again, dealer will need to inspect further.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Any time you get an engine warning, consequence is that the car will go into failsafe mode, meaning f.i. DNA fixed in "N", no auto start/stop etc.
Problem with evap could also be simple problem of filling gastank to fast, causing evap canister to get damp.... Should sort itsself after some time
As said, simply starting car 5 or 6 times should reset the error

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talked to the dealer. Apparently, they forgot to tell us to keep it out of Race mode for a few hundred miles as the computer learns how we drive. Advice is it to wait a few days and see if it clears or else they will have to reset the code. Sounds like nothing serious, but no fun getting a code on the 1st day of ownership. Thanks for all your help! I'll update later

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hard to believe they didn't tell you to follow engine break in , shame on them. I know my drive home from the dealer when I picked up my Alfa, it was killing me not to go full throttle , but it's worth the wait.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hello, I'm new here and just purchased my 2021 Stelvio Q. We were really excited to get this considering the performance and looks of the car. But can anyone help me understand how a car just off the lot can throw a "Service Engine" light in less than 200 miles? This is really concerning. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow, but if anyone has any clues or suggestions I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott4139,
We're very sorry to hear you're experiencing this. We'd be happy to offer you an additional layer of assistance while working with the dealer. If you'd like us to do so, please send us a private message with the following information:

VIN:
Full Name:
Preferred phone number:
Email address:
Dealer Name and Address:
Date and time of appointment:

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Scott4139,
We're very sorry to hear you're experiencing this. We'd be happy to offer you an additional layer of assistance while working with the dealer. If you'd like us to do so, please send us a private message with the following information:

VIN:
Full Name:
Preferred phone number:
Email address:
Dealer Name and Address:
Date and time of appointment:

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares
Thanks Sarah, That's very nice of you. Let's see how this plays out first. I'll update later.
Scott

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Part of the reason you want to break the engine in gently for the first 500 miles is to burn off all the coatings on the engine to protect it from the salt air during shipping.

Might have been running a bit aggressively too soon, burned off enough to gunk up the evap system a little. Should be temporary if that was it, once the code is cleared you are good to go most likely. There are other ways it could have happened (maybe cheap gas), none are serious though.

Enjoy that sweet ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Talked to the dealer. Apparently, they forgot to tell us to keep it out of Race mode for a few hundred miles as the computer learns how we drive. Advice is it to wait a few days and see if it clears or else they will have to reset the code. Sounds like nothing serious, but no fun getting a code on the 1st day of ownership. Thanks for all your help! I'll update later
Lol. I took delivery of mine and the dealer did tell me to stay out of Race. I thought it was bologna but I obeyed the rules until 1000 miles. I guess they were right.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If they were smart, the dealers would have 1 model with some miles on it for test drives, everything else waits for an owner.

Of course...that would require being smart.

Instead they run brand new engines and over inflated tires then wonder why sales aren't better....

('Course it helps to understand most people who buy high performance vehicles don't use them at all. Just bragging rights. So being able to fully tap the power is not required on a test drive really.)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Any time you get an engine warning, consequence is that the car will go into failsafe mode, meaning f.i. DNA fixed in "N", no auto start/stop etc.
Problem with evap could also be simple problem of filling gastank to fast, causing evap canister to get damp.... Should sort itsself after some time
As said, simply starting car 5 or 6 times should reset the error
This. Dont worry about race mode lol. Its fine to use. You can still break the engine in on race mode. It had nothing to do with the cel.

That code is probably the first tank doing a top off and wetting the canister. Never top these vehicles off. They are very finicky about it. Easy to flood the canister.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts