Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have problems with their lease return with Ally? I returned my car a month early at end of January 2020 to the dealer. I get a nasty letter from Ally three months later saying if I don't return the car, they will pursue legal action. I call them and tell them I returned car three months ago and I thought the issue was settled. Then I get a letter last month asking me to certify the mileage at drop off. Now I get a letter from Ally (seven months after I dropped off the car) with a laundry list of charges like Battery Dead, AC Not Working, Check Engine Light on, etc. amounting to nearly $1,000. I returned the car in perfect condition.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Ain't leasing great???

Reactions: TDW11

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had no problem when I turned in my leased Giulia a year or so ago but that was with Chrysler Capital. I'd check with the dealer the car was turned into. I plan on buying my Stelvio and BTW total expense of the SUV, all payments and money down will be more than $6000 under MSRP. Yes, I "probably" could have saved that by buying cash but my portfolio went up 20% since the lease date. I love using other peoples money!

·
Registered
508 Posts
You just do a quick photograph and video of the car at turn in. Never had an issue and ive turned in some rough cars

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Sounds like the dealer let the car sit for a while and killed the battery. Who knows maybe drove it around to grab lunch n'stuff. It happens.

If you have any documentation of when you dropped it off, milledge etc. Send it to them. That should take care of most of the charges. Might be hard for you to prove the A/C workedbefore drop-off and a dead battery shouldn't effect that.

You may try calling Ally too. I bank with them and have found they are very reasonable. Best bank I've ever used actually.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’ve leased three vehicles from FCA/DC in the past decade, never had a problem even with almost bald tires and paint scratches. I did insure to have a signed receipt of return from the dealer stating the mileage, condition, etc. If the dealer doesn’t have a lease return form, make one yourself and have it signed. Leasing is great, I’ve leased 8 vehicles in the past 25 years and every return was trouble free.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On June 8 I returned a 2018 Giulia leased thru Ally. My dealer only gave me an odometer statement. Around June 24 I received a bill from Ally for $371.00 with no explanation for the charges. I called Ally for an itemization; the only phone number on the bill is for the retail department, so I was transferred to the lease department. The c/s agent was able to see that the car was returned, but had no clue as to the charges. (BTW the customer service agents are obviously offshore and read from a canned script). Was told that someone would get back to me. Three days later-no call. So I called again and went through the same scenario.. Three days later I called again and this time was lucky enough to get switched to another department in the US. This agent was very competent and promised I'd get an answer the next day. She actually called back within a couple hours and apologized for a "glitch" in their system that erroneously generated the bill. I now have a letter from Ally stating my account is clear. It might be to your advantage to call Ally and dispute the charges. May not help, but worth a shot IMO.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anyone have problems with their lease return with Ally?
My previous Stelvio was done with Chrysler Capital, I didn't have problem but I can see that it's a system prone to errors if the dealer accepting the car is sloppy. For what is concerning the charges is always better to ask for an inspection at your home with you present and then return the car immediately after. When you deliver the car you don't know who handles after that. When I bought my stelvio I traded in a Mercedes S class and somebody at the dealer use it as a commuter car although there wasn't insurance . I got many ticket from passing the bridge without pay. I don't trust anyone at this point

·
Registered
108 Posts
One thing for sure, I'm not leasing another car with ALLY. Even though they didn't give me any problems when I returned my 2018 Stelvio ( thank god), but whole process is a big mess. No thank you. I bought new 2020 Stelvio, if I decide to sell it at one point, sign the title & that's it.. No more BS from bank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unfortunately Ally does not offer the option of a pre return inspection. I've never returned a bank-leased car; have always leased through manufacturer's finance arm- Nissan, Honda, MB, Acura etc. All those have an independent inspection company look at the car a couple weeks before turn in, and provide a copy of the inspection. I've found that these inspections are very detailed , down to minor scuffs on interior door panels, etc. Even if they don't charge for minor wear, it's noted. What does Chrysler Capital do?

·
Registered
93 Posts
My experience in February with Chrysler Capital included a preliminary inspection (they called me several times) which I declined and a very smooth return to dealer process. I took a video of the car and the salesperson that accepted it did a basic walk-around and documented no issues. Car disappeared for a month and showed up at a dealer in MA looking showroom new, So it went well for me, but that was also pre-covid.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's about what I expected with my return. Evidently Ally marches to the beat of a different drum lol. IMO they leave too much margin for error- in favor of Ally. My car was returned 6/8 and was auctioned 7/7 and is now residing at a VW/Subaru dealer in Brownsville TX. Asking price $39,950.!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I returned a leased Cady back in 2017 with mileage under expected. Got a letter from Ally stating that I curbed a rim. Owed about 550 for replacement. Told them it was wear and tear after a 3 year lease. The rim was really not that bad. Went back and forth for about 6 months. That car returned in GREAT shape.

Got an indication that it went to collections. Credit score went SOUTH. Ended up settling for about 350. Screwed my credit rating big time. I never missed or was late with a payment. And as stated - brought my car under the 10k a year agreement.

NO BUSINESS WITH ALLY. My only recommendation. . .

·
Registered
161 Posts
I returned a leased Cady back in 2017 with mileage under expected. Got a letter from Ally stating that I curbed a rim. Owed about 550 for replacement. Told them it was wear and tear after a 3 year lease. The rim was really not that bad. Went back and forth for about 6 months. That car returned in GREAT shape.

Got an indication that it went to collections. Credit score went SOUTH. Ended up settling for about 350. Screwed my credit rating big time. I never missed or was late with a payment. And as stated - brought my car under the 10k a year agreement.

NO BUSINESS WITH ALLY. My only recommendation. . .
This should reflect badly on Alfa as well. I'm leasing with Ally Bank too, and if I have trouble like this when I return my car, no way am I leasing another Alfa.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unfortunately when I leased my 2020 I am again with Ally. I don't know why most? dealers use them instead of Chrysler Capital. Bigger kickback for the dealer? Hopefully I won't have to deal with an Ally return since I plan to buy this one at lease end.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Is there a way to return it to somewhere OTHER than the dealer? My lease is coming up in December with Ally. Not sure how to best handle it.

·
Registered
19 Vulcano Black TI Sport
73 Posts
Is there a way to return it to somewhere OTHER than the dealer? My lease is coming up in December with Ally. Not sure how to best handle it.
Where did you end up returning your lease? My local Alfa dealer closed shop a few months after I signed my lease. Therefore have not taken care of any recalls and not sure where to return the lease? Their are other dealers in my area, but no Alfa.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
363 Posts
Anyone have problems with their lease return with Ally? I returned my car a month early at end of January 2020 to the dealer. I get a nasty letter from Ally three months later saying if I don't return the car, they will pursue legal action. I call them and tell them I returned car three months ago and I thought the issue was settled. Then I get a letter last month asking me to certify the mileage at drop off. Now I get a letter from Ally (seven months after I dropped off the car) with a laundry list of charges like Battery Dead, AC Not Working, Check Engine Light on, etc. amounting to nearly $1,000. I returned the car in perfect condition.

I had a very similar issue with Ford back in the early 2000s. They claimed I owed money for all kinds of things. Including "Excess "wear and tear

My response was that none of the issues were present when I returned the car to the dealer and it was incumbent on the dealer (who is the representative for the Leasing CO) .to point out anything that needs attention or was a problem which I would be financially responsible to rectify. Dealer had no documentation on condition of car at turn in

I also told them that what they were claiming was EXCESS wear and tear was actually NORMAL wear and tear Seeing I have no control over what happens to the car once it is turned in, they have no proof whatsoever that any problems occurred before the dealer took possession. and I would not be responsible for anything discoverd after turn in date .They could not prove in a court of law when any of the so called issues occurred

Next communication from them said the issue was closed

When value of vehicle drops lower than the residual, the leasing company takes the hit and looks for ways to recoup some of their loss

·
Registered
127 Posts
I once leased an Audi Q5, dealership agreed to buy it since the used car market was hot. After 3 weeks, I still got my monthly lease payment summary, I look into the portal, car was still not paid. I call up the dealership, supposedly they “mailed a normal checking account check from the dealership account to Audi financial, snail mail no less, so no tracking.” So about three days before the payment was due, I was livid, they already sold the car as per the website, I emailed the GM and Audi NA, finally two days before payment is due the dealership wired the funds to pay off the vehicle to Audi financial. Some car companies try to pull some shady stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts