Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 lease is up in July and I'd like to get another but am curious if the electronics in the 2020's were upgraded?

We were never able to get the voice input for the NAV to work correctly, we never even used the NAV because it takes so long to manually input the address. Another item we hated is the the way the front seat is so far back until you start the car, my wife is 5' and she cant reach the brake to start the car. We also don't like having to shut off the auto engine shut off every time you get in the car.

Any feed back would be helpful.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
$50(?) Add-on to kill the start/stop. Also realize in the last few years most manufacturers have gone to a similar system that must be turned off every time.

Yes, the electronics have been upgraded. Significantly so.

Can you wife not reach in and hit the start button with the key in her hand before getting in, hit the memory button to get the seat where she likes? Then climb in everything perfect put her foot on the brake start the car and drive away like a Queen.

I would cry if I had to get anything else on the market currently. In terms of an SUV for sure...

..my sister is 4ft9...half of my childhood was figuring out workarounds for her...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
gET ANOTHER ONE. LET ec BREATH ON IT AND ADD THE AUTO START/STOP DEFEAT MOD...yOU WILL BE A HAPPY CAMPER....JUST BUY THIS ONE!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Start/stop delete a must have. Under $100 less than 40 seconds to install. It did take almost a month to stop reaching for the button before my first stop..

·
Registered
324 Posts
I plan to get another Stelvio - a 2020 before my lease is up to get the new features! So yes - get one!!

What is the mod you are talking about for the ESS? I am not handy but if it take 40 seconds perhaps I could figure it out.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I miss mine - but I do not drive much so I did not lease or buy another but I would not think twice if I drove more than 3K per year...here it is - ended up in MA (from PA)....

Also an older driver and not driving much. The virus has cut into my driving and I also have neuropathy which prevents me from making long road trips. Still, I decided to lease an Alfa because of the deal offered and the performance reviews. Even though for me, it isn't the best way to have a car from a financial standpoint, I'm glad I did because I enjoy driving the car immensely and I'm willing to put up with other issues such as the electronics user interface and reliability. I have a 3/30 lease but I doubt I will put more than 10K on the car by lease end. I don't think I'd ever buy one, even coming off my lease due to the reliability issue, however, I would lease another one as long as it was a good deal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What are the instructions for installing this?

It's in Italian or some such language but there are subtitles. It's also very easy to follow without language.

I'm wondering whether the installation of this devise nullifies the warranty?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If at all possible delete the Alfa NAV and make sure you have the Carplay/Android Auto. I think those are standard on all 2020s. The GPS on your phone (Apple maps/Google Maps/Waze) will be far superior to the in-car nav and will always be up to date. They have live traffic updates and rapid rerouting if you decide to ignore a particular direction instruction. They all support voice input and they work flawlessly with the built in 8inch screen. Paying thousands for car manufacturer Nav systems is total waste of money. It's cheaper to stand on a street corner and hand out $20 bills to strangers

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's easy to forget to do and then you get honked at by everyone at a 4 way stop because your car won't move when it's your turn. Ask me how I know...
I'm amazed at people who will pay for a gizmo to do the same thing that is achieved with a nano-second touch of your finger on a button. Sorry dude, the excuse that it's easy to forget is really nonsense. I guess if the Auto headlight function was disabled you'd drive in the dark rather than switch the lights on manually;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Worth every penny for me. My wife would get annoyed and say "stupid car" if I forgot to hit the button before the first stop. Instructions are: use plastic pry tool to remove panel, disconnect wire, install gizmo, push panel back in place. I think it too me less than 45 seconds. Life was better until this pandemic thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts

It's in Italian or some such language but there are subtitles. It's also very easy to follow without language.

I'm wondering whether the installation of this devise nullifies the warranty?
Italian speakers are shaking their heads. You compared their beautiful romantic language to some Slavo-Russian guttural grunting:eek:😂

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm amazed at people who will pay for a gizmo to do the same thing that is achieved with a nano-second touch of your finger on a button. Sorry dude, the excuse that it's easy to forget is really nonsense. I guess if the Auto headlight function was disabled you'd drive in the dark rather than switch the lights on manually;)
Terrible comparison, dude. Nice try though.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Everyone is different..

But I agree with @phxcookie. Pushing the button to turn it off just isn't an issue. Would be nice to not have to do it..but in the world of things I have to do but wish I didn't..its a pretty inconsiquential issue. As nice as the add-on to not have to do it is...I havent got it, and probably won't, just because...I dont want to mess with the dash. Would blame myself if I got a rattle after... yeah I've seen the install video, seems harmless, done enough stuff to cars to know something can go wrong with anything and best to leave things alone when possible. Maybe if the dash develops a rattle on its own...

Personally, I'de rather own a car with a strong frame that doesnt twist or bend over high speed bumps, that is designed for easy maintenance, engineered with proper weight distribution and built using lightweight materials..not the cheapest metal the manufacturer could source.

Than have a needlessly heavy vehicle with slow responses, a poorly placed engine, the wrong wheels providing power and/or a frame that jiggles like it's trying to bend over and twerk like Lizzo everytime you go over a series of bumps..like railroad tracks or mid corner potholes. (Not to mention how complex other manufacturers make maintenance and repair procedures due to badly placed modules and cramped engine bays. A 2 hour accessory belt replacment bothers me alot more than pressing a button)

And that really is the choice right now on the new market. If it upsets you, getting mad at me or Alfa won't help. I know seems like it will..but really it won't. Maybe taking a drive will though...in any car...long as you enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I dont have any issue with anyone paying for the gizmo. It's cheap, easy to install, convenient. If it had appeared in our first six months of ownership I woulda jumped on it.
Now the button is a reflex, kinda like turning lights on at night. I had to unlearn that one ...

But with it now available, anyone complaining about it is just. ..... complaining.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts