Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't paid much attention to the license plate bracket when looking to buy my Stelvio, so it was after taking delivery that I realized I didn't like the factory plate location. It's positioned too high, the bracket is the wrong size for US plates, and I discovered afterwards that it's installed by screwing directly into the plastic bumper. I did buy the inexpensive tow-hook mounted bracket from Amazon, but that idea also didn't thrill me when I saw it on a Giulia (again, too high, and too much risk of scratching the paint).

So I started to think of how the plate could be relocated to a position lower on the front of the car. After fiddling around a bit I came up with the solution in the attached photograph. Yes, it required drilling into the black grill, but that's unavoidable. The top two holes on the plate are screwed into two aluminum rivnuts attached to the grill. The lower two holes on the plate are not screwed into anything. There are two long screws (1 1/2" on the left in the photo, 1 3/4" on the right) that are fixed to the plate, with screw protectors on the tail end, and act as supports to prevent the plate from rocking fore/aft.

I used a soft silicone plate frame from Amazon. This (I hope) will prevent any scratches from developing where the frame contacts the grill. I also have a 6" x 12", 1/16" thick aluminum sheet sandwiched between the license plate and the silicone frame to add rigidity. I'm also required to display a parking permit on the vehicle, so I made another aluminum plate holder which you see next to the license plate, and which is also secured with a pair of rivnuts.

Overall, I'm happy with the result. I'm going to live with the holes the dealer put in the bumper. The cost to repair it and the agony of having the car taken apart after just one month didn't seem worth it. Thankfully on a dark brown car the two black hole plugs aren't tremendously visible (one above the R in New York). I also plan to paint those to match the car, which should make them disappear even more.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is a good change in my opinion. Looks good. While Texas requires a front plate, I have never been ticketed with not having a front plate and luckily, dealerships in Texas know that so they don’t automatically put plates in the front. So no holes here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also live in NY, but leased the car in NJ. Drove around with a temp license plate for a month until my NY registration came in the mail and was able to mount my old plates to the Stelvio. I too was quite perplexed how to mount the front plate. My car came with a black plastic mount although it isn't obvious how it attaches to the bumper and how the plate attaches to it. I called the service department and they offered to mount the front plate for me for free if I brought it in. The only problem is that the dealer is 40 miles away from where I live. Instead the service manager talked me through the process. I was able to attach the license plate mount to the front bumper fairly easily with two screws that are supplied. Once you line up the square holes in the bumper they match the holes on the mount. From there you have to drill holes in the plastic mount to attach the plates. They supplied screws for this purpose as well. I was cautioned to make sure to drill the holes in the plastic mount and not into the bumper itself since the car is a lease and I might be liable for damage. However, I was concerned the screws were too long and might hit the bumper after breaking through the plastic so I decided to go to Home Depot and get shorter machine screws. Now I was ready to drill the holes but it so happened that the battery on my cordless drill was dead and wouldn't recharge. Fortunately, a neighbor lent me his cordless screwdriver and that worked fine. It is obvious that Alfa didn't design the car with front license plates in mind. It seems like it is a quick fix to a design flaw. I park next to a Mercedes Benz GLE450 and that SUV definitely has a license plate holder for the front.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blocking that much air flow doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
I would agree except for one thing: There is no air flow being blocked. I believe it's only the Quadrifoglio that has an intake on that side. Mine is a Ti Sport.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts