Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I really believe from all the threads I've seen over the past year its only RDS sent traffic. Sirius traffic wont work with our units. Others have even tried to get traffic added and when Sirius went to add they couldn't and said looks like that units number doesn't support traffic and weather.
it may just be that the Sirius people don’t know that. Perhaps if I had gone one step further - trying to buy a subscription - I would have received that answer.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
419 Posts
@Brooke Probably. I use an android phone that is rooted and hook it up without bluetooth to the car. This allows my iphone to use the infotainment for the iphone, and android auto and still get the arrows on the dash. I wish carplay had arrows but only android does.

·
Registered
899 Posts
i use Android auto (google map) and they have made significant upgrades... it tells you about slow down, speed traps and also accidents sites... 80% of the times, it actually is correct.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio TI
17 Posts
This is direct from the SiriusXM website --- you can check feature availability on all cars.... ONLY Sirius RADIO is available on the Alfa NOT the NavTraffic...

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio TI
17 Posts
I really believe from all the threads I've seen over the past year its only RDS sent traffic. Sirius traffic wont work with our units. Others have even tried to get traffic added and when Sirius went to add they couldn't and said looks like that units number doesn't support traffic and weather.
Can you explain the difference between "RDS" and say, Sirius NavTraffic? I agree that the Sirius NavTraffic is NOT available on our Alfas (see my post above w/the link to the Sirius website stating as much) but there are clearly some "colored traffic lines" on some peoples Nav systems indicating traffic flow --- and is the RDS only available on new models or can I do an update on my 2018? If you know...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio
45 Posts
Can you explain the difference between "RDS" and say, Sirius NavTraffic? I agree that the Sirius NavTraffic is NOT available on our Alfas (see my post above w/the link to the Sirius website stating as much) but there are clearly some "colored traffic lines" on some peoples Nav systems indicating traffic flow --- and is the RDS only available on new models or can I do an update on my 2018? If you know...

Thanks!
I have a 2021 and never seen traffic show on my map. I'm in US and do have Traffic enabled in the settings. Also, I definitely expect traffic data in the Seattle area.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
419 Posts
The traffic is received to the car via FM radio. FM radio carries not only music, but also the names of the station/song name/category, and also traffic information. If your area stations broadcast the traffic it will arrive to the radio via the FM signal on that broadcasting station. The infotainment then uses that traffic information, stores it in the infotainment to be used for routing.

In the NY area we do pick up traffic, as well as Philadelphia has traffic. It shows up on the screen, and routes accordingly.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio
45 Posts
I happened to be at my Alfa Romeo service center and they told me I need to register for "Connected Services" which is through Sirius Guardian in order to see traffic. Is this right?
I went to register on my car for connected services (for the Assist and SOS buttons to work) and after I entered my information, it's still stuck (for more than a week) in pending registration.

Anyone else in the Seattle/WA area seeing traffic on their maps and/or getting Connected Services to work? I don't want to pay for Sirius Guardian for traffic and there seems to be conflicting information about whether you need to vs. RDS.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
419 Posts
I wouldn't think you need connected service as its RDS through FM. If your car is new you get a year free of connected services. My dealer had set that all up for me. I cancelled it and they kept sending me stuff to renew. then after month or so they kept sending cheaper offers till I said that's what ill pay for it. insurance discount and can start the car when its in the middle of a lacrosse parking field soaking in the sun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is direct from the SiriusXM website --- you can check feature availability on all cars.... ONLY Sirius RADIO is available on the Alfa NOT the NavTraffic...

It's funny that the booklet says that even if SirusXM is canceled, the will keep getting traffic and weather info. Which is clearly wrong, since Alfa doesn't get weather and traffic from SiriusXM.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio
45 Posts
As of yesterday, traffic all of sudden started showing up. This is the first time since I owned the car. The only thing I can think of was I recently (in the last week) got an OTA Connected Services update.
Anyone else notice traffic working for them now when it previously has not?

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio
45 Posts
@ChadW what year is your car. I have a 2020 and received traffic in major metro areas before I received an update. I'm going to check to see now if it works any better.
2021. I am in the Seattle, WA area so RDS has likely been transmitting for several years but would love to hear from someone else who lives or traveled through Seattle and whether traffic display has been an issue for them too.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio
45 Posts
On Tuesday, I took the following picture. This has been the working experience.
Font Gadget Display device Multimedia Technology

Today (Thursday), traffic is no longer working (and there was definitely traffic on the roads). I have no idea what changed but certainly this is frustrating.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts