Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am new to the forum but have been trolling for several months. After nearly a year of contemplating my next car purchase (currently have a 2015 X5 50 M-Sport) I decided that my next ride should be a Stelvio QV. I have spent hours researching on this forum (thank you for all those that have contributed) and looked across the country and found a 2018 Stelvio QV I like near me. The car was recently acquired from California by a large dealership in the Chicago suburbs and has 19K miles for $64K. The MSRP was $87K, but I assume it probably sold for much less because it sat on the lot for 10 months. I realize I am paying a premium but I am ok with that. I have attached the Carfax

When I compare the service history of this car to the many other across the Country, it looks like it has only been in the dealership for typical maintenance. Obviously I can not be certain but was hoping some of you could provide some insight into what you see. The car is super clean with new tires and warranty is good for another 21 months (which is why I am willing to pay the premium).

Any thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to future discussions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Q4 Sport, MonteCarlo Blue
110 Posts
Seems like it was well taken care of in it's 19,000-ish miles. It even has had the recalls completed (coolant hose, Adaptive Cruise control, and BCM replacement).
If it's at Motor Werks, they're nice to deal with and buying from them should be a good experience. But if you live in Chicagoland, plan on taking your Alfa to Naperville for servicing. I hear Schaumburg just isn't cutting it in the Service department. Maybe you could ask Motor Werks for a day or two "eval" drive and just take it to Alfa and have them give it a once-over, or take the VIN to a local Alfa dealer and see if the Service Manager can tell you any more about the vehicle. While I doubt you'll find out anything bad about the car, it just seems like a good idea before you drop 64k on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the detailed response. I really appreciate the help! Any insight into Alfa Romeo Glenview for service? While Schaumburg is closest for me, that would be better than going down to Naperville.

Hopefully I will be able to post pics soon, assuming the wife gives me the greenlight. I think she doesn't want me to have a faster car than her (she has a F80 M3)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I personally would not buy a used 2018 QV and neither a 2019. you don't know the history and the reason why it was sold. Could be a simple "change of circumstances" reason or a more serious "gotta get rid of this piece of junk" reason like me. 2018 and 2019 models, but especially the 2018, have loads of issues. In addition, you're buying a car that is approaching the end of the 4yr warranty. These two reasons combined, imo, are a big NO NO. remember, you could save a few thousands, but if you got serious issues to the engine post warranty... it's a financial blood bath.
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes plenty without. but those that do... good luck! my point was/is, spend a few extra $ and avoid a 2018-2019. think about the warranty. then if you are a risk taker or can afford to have issues outside of warranty, go ahead...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Gee, should I sell my bought it new 2018 to get a newer one? Because issues don't seem to be present on most earlier cars, anymore than any others, and mine doesn't have them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2019 and I drive it hard. Including a couple of track days. No problems at all. I got the 2019 and not 2018 because the 2018s did have a few issues, but not present in 2019. Also 2019 has Apple Car Play as well as exhaust valves fully open in “D” mode (not just Race mode like earlier years).

I put my money where my mouth is and got a 2019 versus a 2020. I saved a boatload of money in the process. Your savings will more than pay for any problems you may have. As I said, this one has been a gem.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
196 Posts
Just sayin'

If I was looking to buy this/a Quad, after reviewing the CARFAX, the big question/red flag in my mind is why did Autonation Masarati & Alfa Romeo Stevens Creek / San Jose, the dealership this Quad which was leased from, choose not to take back and sell this 19,000 mile ride as a Pre-Certified or Used Car (since they performed all the service on it), but rather get it off its lot and send it to auction???.

Heck, the last lease operator even bought new tires 8,000 miles before turning it in, and the Trofeo white exterior/red interior is a very desirable/easily sold color combination (in the PRK at least) ...

In my mind, it's not adding up...

With all that said, if it were my $$$, I'd hold out for a used 2020 -> onwards just for the Dual Fuel Injection System (Port & Direct Injection).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2018 Stelvio QV that I bought and get serviced in Orland Park Alfa Romeo, other that having my battery and radiator replaced after the first year of ownership. Because of work from home have not really driven as I did when I first bought and had it as a daily driver from Chicago/Midway area to the near western suburbs. For me Orland Park Alfa was and still is the closet to me when servicing my QV. Wen I drive it, I make sure to drive it like I stole it, so much fun to drive. I did get a second hand set of wheels off of ebay for the Chicago winter months, the Pirellis PZero are not recommended to be used in below 39deg weather as the crack. I put some Micheline Pilot Sport AS +3 on the second hand set wheels and they ride amazing. So also be weary that a winter set of tires/wheels will be required if planning on driving in Chicago winters.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio
34 Posts
Hi all

I am new to the forum but have been trolling for several months. After nearly a year of contemplating my next car purchase (currently have a 2015 X5 50 M-Sport) I decided that my next ride should be a Stelvio QV. I have spent hours researching on this forum (thank you for all those that have contributed) and looked across the country and found a 2018 Stelvio QV I like near me. The car was recently acquired from California by a large dealership in the Chicago suburbs and has 19K miles for $64K. The MSRP was $87K, but I assume it probably sold for much less because it sat on the lot for 10 months. I realize I am paying a premium but I am ok with that. I have attached the Carfax

When I compare the service history of this car to the many other across the Country, it looks like it has only been in the dealership for typical maintenance. Obviously I can not be certain but was hoping some of you could provide some insight into what you see. The car is super clean with new tires and warranty is good for another 21 months (which is why I am willing to pay the premium).

Any thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to future discussions.
I have a 2018 Stelvio. I’ve had zero issues/problems with it. It now has 45,000 miles on the clock. It’s had all its regular maintenance etc. OK, so the only issue is its quirky media controls and the cost of SirusXM. I have negated all that by using Spotify downloads through Bluetooth to the vehicle, and local radio stations. Yuppers, the Stelvio is fine by me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm not far from you, with a '18 SQV 18k miles. I'll sell for 64k. Silverstone on Black with green stitching and yellow calipers. Rear carbon spoiler, V and emblems. No carbon seats or ceramic breaks. Just had 20k service on it. It's my wife's car. It includes 2yrs left on wheel/tire package, 30k service (needs to get done before end of October for free) and of course 1yr left on warranty. Build date of 05/2018. It has formula 1 ceramic tints (including panaramic roof), PPF on 1/3 of the car, cargo OEM organizer/cover/nets, and full TuxMat for winter. We can work out a deal for addons... second OEM set of rims with scorpions, SWG (never installed), and EuroCompulsion Petal booster.

Car has been babied by me (I have a Giulia), hand car washes or car wash done by me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Go for it...I have a 2018 and have had zero issues. You can also buy a Chrysler extended warranty. You want to have the dealer plug in the ECU and see if it has reached red line a lot. Also check the nav history and make sure it has not been to race tracks.

Funny my beater is a 4.4 X5......want to get a 5.0 M next as a better. The Stelvio will blow it away though in power and handling. Awesome touring car, awesome race car, awesome round town car.

By the car, you will love it. Assuming its a Quadrifogilo. I've driven non Quads and it not the same car by far.

Ignore the nay sayers, most likely trolls.

Reactions: Gsartori

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like a pre-registered car followed by a 2 year lease. Mileage looks ok for this type of car. I would like to see / ask dealer what repairs and warranty work has been completed. I would also say it should be on the end of life of its second set of tyres (10k per set normal use) if out of step it could be winter tyres or harder use. I declined 3 high spec cars before I bought mine ; one very low miles but warranty claim for a crank shaft oil seal no idea how bad, another because at 5k the rear tyres were worn out - a bit picky could have been one track day and a 3rd because it had been chip tuned. The one I bought a 2019 has had minor warranty claims things like the auto wipers sensor sticker, nav screen bubbles which were a bit of an ordeal but fundamentally its a good car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yes plenty without. but those that do... good luck! my point was/is, spend a few extra $ and avoid a 2018-2019. think about the warranty. then if you are a risk taker or can afford to have issues outside of warranty, go ahead...
This totally untrue, I bought a new 2018 280HP not a blip until I returned the lease in 2020, I then decided to buy a Quadrifoglio and I found a MY2019 with 300 miles , bought it outright and never had a single issue beside the substitution of the battery because the car was in the lot for many months. I don't know of anyone with major issues. I had Porsche, Mercedes and Ferrari during my lifetime and the Stelvio has been the most reliable car I ever had.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts