Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm Looking to pickup a Stelvio but want to tow around 4000-4500 lbs. I've seen hitches that support up to 6000 lbs but online it says the max towing for a Stelvio is 3000 lbs.

Does any one have experience towing a trailer or similar item around 4500 lbs? or is there a way to get this beautiful machine to do so?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
261 Posts
In USA there are not limits hook up and hope you don't fishtail at 80mph with the 15000lb boat on the truck. I believe EU/UK has tow speed limits.

Saw one last week, trailer was crossing the lane as speeds were way too high for the load and lack of tongue weight on the smaller truck. Boils down to trying to keep things safe on our highways with less being towed weight wise.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Stelvio's curb weight is 4300lbs or less depending.

There is a reason Dogs didn't develop with a tail heavier then the body. Physics makes that very cumbersome.

Just cause you can do something doesn't mean you should. Towing something heavier then the object being used to tow it, is not easy. Tug boat operators and Big Rig drivers have a stricter licensing requirement and more training in addition to mandatory safety inspections.

Don't presume you know more then the people setting the maximum ratings. Regardless of variations that exist in different markets.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I tow stuff regularly but do keep it at about 4k or less (boats). It has no issue at all but i don't trailer across the country either. If i were regularly towing 5k plus id use something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Following this thread with interest as a new forum member. I'm in a similar situation. My 2005 X5 3.0 is approaching 200k miles and I'm eyeing s Stelvio as a replacement. The X5 has been an incredible daily driver and tow vehicle for me. 6000 lb towing capacity and I used it for years to tow my racecar all over the Southeast. I have an aluminum Trailex trailer which weighs less than 900 lbs and combined with my racecar total weight I was towing was around 3400 lbs including my tools and extra wheels/tires. I sold my racecar but still would like to be able to tow my restored GTV 2000 to some long distance events. My GTV plus trailer weight would be around 3500 lbs or so... Wondering if I would be pushing it with a Stelvio?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I was a bit surprised but for me the biggest issue ive found is the brakes. Stability is fine.

I dont know if its because theres not a dedicated tow mode where the vehicle braking system operates specifically for towing or it's just the already odd brake feel of our bbw programming or its just that we use the same brakes for our 4000lb stelvio that my 34xxlb giulia uses but on stock pads and towing my normal 2k lbs you really have to stand on the brakes and that mild non linear feel when not towing is exacerbated when towing.

Its not bad you just have to remember it and adjust significantly whereas in trucks designed for towing its much more natural feeling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was a bit surprised but for me the biggest issue ive found is the brakes. Stability is fine.

I dont know if its because theres not a dedicated tow mode where the vehicle braking system operates specifically for towing or it's just the already odd brake feel of our bbw programming or its just that we use the same brakes for our 4000lb stelvio that my 34xxlb giulia uses but on stock pads and towing my normal 2k lbs you really have to stand on the brakes and that mild non linear feel when not towing is exacerbated when towing.

Its not bad you just have to remember it and adjust significantly whereas in trucks designed for towing its much more natural feeling.
My Trailex trailer has electric brakes and I use a brake controller for it. The brakes on the trailer would stop the X5 on its own if it's tires had enough traction; they are pretty stout. So if braking is the main concern I'm assuming I would be fine with the trailer brake setup?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
400 lbs with a double axle and electric brakes, to tow an alfa raceway?
I'd sure do it!
As far as the brake feel/stopping power, with the conti system stand on it if you think you have to, it won't lock up it will work.
Maybe use A or N for stability control, but manual shift to keep revs where they should be.

·
Registered
670 Posts
My Trailex trailer has electric brakes and I use a brake controller for it. The brakes on the trailer would stop the X5 on its own if it's tires had enough traction; they are pretty stout. So if braking is the main concern I'm assuming I would be fine with the trailer brake setup?
I think you're set then. Otherwise its very capable. With the right weight distribution on the tongue the truck rides very level, is very stable, doesn't even sweat slightly when pulling up a steep boat ramp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts