Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$400 for an oil service at Santa Monica Alfa here in So CA? And, bonus of $540 if spark plugs need to be replaced? I know my Alfa is not a Yugo, but these prices are ridiculous in light of the work it would take me to do them both myself. Do I want to change my own oil and plugs? No, I have other things to do -- but I don't want to be abused by the dealer either. Wondering how others think about this and it reminds me why I had prepaid maintenance on my BMW 7s etc.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Call any independent European service center.

Santa Monica has A LOT of really good independent auto shops, with techs that are familar with how to work on high performance european vehicles. You'll pay quite a bit less then the dealer at most any.

General consensus is that many dealers are inflating service prices, helps offset the massive discounts they are giving when selling the cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call any independent European service center.

Santa Monica has A LOT of really good independent auto shops, with techs that are familar with how to work on high performance european vehicles. You'll pay quite a bit less then the dealer at most any.

General consensus is that many dealers are inflating service prices, helps offset the massive discounts they are giving when selling the cars.
Agree, however, called my independent guy and he priced me $330 for the oil change which is equally silly to my mind. Open to taking it elsewhere so if you can recommend one please do, thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
418 Posts
Just make sure they use the correct 0W 30 SN+ oil. Ansoil and Mobil 1 have a type that will meet the specs required.

There is nothing special about the oil change in the Stelvio. BUT plastic the underbelly cover has to be removed and it has an inordinate number of screws to remove to get to the drain plug and filter

Not hard to do .Just time consuming to remove and re-install the cover. $400 is outrageous,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just make sure they use the correct 0W 30 SN+ oil. Ansoil and Mobil 1 have a type that will meet the specs required.

There is nothing special about the oil change in the Stelvio. BUT plastic the underbelly cover has to be removed and it has an inordinate number of screws to remove to get to the drain plug and filter

Not hard to do .Just time consuming to remove and re-install the cover. $400 is outrageous,

Thanks for the link. I guess all that time spent removing the panel underneath is why they want to charge $400.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
418 Posts
They would like you to believe there is some special tools, knowledge or techniques involved that others do not have. Yes ,it might take an extra 15 -20 mins to remove and re install the underbelly cover. But not enough to justify the extra cost

It is really a design error. They very well could have designed the cover with a removable section that gives access to the oil filter and drain plug. That would have simplified everything. In fact that would be a great DIY project for someone.

Germans would have figured that out.

·
Registered
2019 TI SPORT ROSSO, NERO,HK,SUNROOF
82 Posts
Try A Chrysler dealership that also sells Fiats. They should have a tech that can service the alfa for oil changes. Might be cheaper,

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
418 Posts
Try A Chrysler dealership that also sells Fiats. They should have a tech that can service the alfa for oil changes. Might be cheaper,
Actually, The dealer I am using for service has Chrysler, Dodge Ram,Jeep,, Fiat and Alfa. They are all serviced in the same service facility..I was told there are 2 techs certified to work on Alfas . But who really knows what goes on behind closed doors.It would seem to be pretty simple to teach anyone how to do an oil change on these vehicles

·
Registered
82 Posts
For sure, the Chrysler dealer that I purchased (stelvio) from did my oil change for around $90.00. they sell Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, ram and fiat. They do not advertise as an Alfa dealer although, they do have a few for sale here and there, so I'm not sure what the big difference is.

·
Registered
82 Posts
They also claim to have one tech that's trained on servicing the alfa, but they cannot do any warranty or recall work.

·
Registered
670 Posts
There's no alfa training necessary to do your oil change. Keep looking for a solid independent. M1 0w30 AFE can be had for 5 bucks a quart and the filter is 10 bucks. Youre looking at 40 bucks in parts and 15 to 30 minutes of actual labor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All great suggestions. I am going to call a few more dealers in So CA that are not that far from me and then will report back. Then, we can all talk about the $550 to replace sparkplugs. Are the made of Unobtanium or something?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
224 Posts
Thanks for the link. I guess all that time spent removing the panel underneath is why they want to charge $400.
I pull my Stelvio up on ramps.
With a torx bit and my drill, it takes less than 2 minutes to remove the underpan...

The 2.0l is one of the easiest oil change and spark plug changes I have had on any of my vehicles over the past 30+ years...
Just sayin

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thats doubling bmw prices for oil change. Crazy. If out of warranty oil change can be done anywhere, like generic oil chnage places probably <$100.
I dont understand why but even independent mechanics ask a lot for spark plug change, I did myself on my bmw. It is one of the easiest thing on a car you can do. Spark plugs itself are very cheap. They ask crazy labor hours for an hour job (may be less for someone who is doing it daily).

·
Registered
670 Posts
You can take the car anywhere for an oil change or even do it yourself while under warranty. You just have to retain documentation that it was done in compliance with warranty requirements.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can also change the plugs yourself, that's why youtube exists.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks like you dont want to do it by yourself so just buy the plugs online.
Walk into a mechanic (not in Santa Monica, may be Inglewood or sth. like that.) in. tell them to change them. Don't offer more than $100 to them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts