Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me apologize to any of you who have already started this subject. I'm over 60 and not the most technological owner.
Having said that I LOVE MY STELVIO. What a vehicle. I only have 600 miles on my TI but what a great vehicle from a drivers point of view.

I have driven every family vehicle imaginable. From full size conversion vans to get wife and kids from Texas to Tenn, four door vehicles to take car seats GMC Terrain (what a piece of XXXX), Yukon Denali's , Lexus sedans, etc.

If you missed it earlier I LOVE MY STELVIO. Ask me what my MPG is for the first 600 miles..............My answer is.............I don't care. The car is more fun than I've had since my Z28 with headers and Holly Carbs back in the mid 70's. High school for me.

I'm also a boat guy, the ZF transmission is made by the same people who made the transmission in my boat. Both work great.

I looked at Jag's, Audi's, Mercedes, etc. I'm extremely happy with the purchase decision.

I've had 4 different people stop me today and ask about the car. One had never heard of Alfa Romeo so I won't spend any energy here.

If you are thinking about a Stelvio reach out to me. I will give you my cell number off-line and we can talk direct. I love this vehicle. I feel like a kid again except when my wife says 'slow down'. She can stay in her Prius ...I'm loving it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
luv my Stelvio!

Let me apologize to any of you who have already started this subject. I'm over 60 and not the most technological owner.
Having said that I LOVE MY STELVIO. What a vehicle. I only have 600 miles on my TI but what a great vehicle from a drivers point of view.

I have driven every family vehicle imaginable. From full size conversion vans to get wife and kids from Texas to Tenn, four door vehicles to take car seats GMC Terrain (what a piece of XXXX), Yukon Denali's , Lexus sedans, etc.

If you missed it earlier I LOVE MY STELVIO. Ask me what my MPG is for the first 600 miles..............My answer is.............I don't care. The car is more fun than I've had since my Z28 with headers and Holly Carbs back in the mid 70's. High school for me.

I'm also a boat guy, the ZF transmission is made by the same people who made the transmission in my boat. Both work great.

I looked at Jag's, Audi's, Mercedes, etc. I'm extremely happy with the purchase decision.

I've had 4 different people stop me today and ask about the car. One had never heard of Alfa Romeo so I won't spend any energy here.

If you are thinking about a Stelvio reach out to me. I will give you my cell number off-line and we can talk direct. I love this vehicle. I feel like a kid again except when my wife says 'slow down'. She can stay in her Prius ...I'm loving it.
- ha, ha!
My sentiments are EXACTLY the same!! :>)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had a range rover evoque and the 9 speed transmission was awful, JLR never seemed to be able to sort this and it's a failing of the car when they went from the 8 speed.

The tranny in the stelvio is smooth in all gears without that notchiness, just one of the many cool things about this car. Hope they sell boatloads of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also happen to be fortunate enough to own a 50 Hatteras Convertible Sportfisherman. The ZF transmission is still working flawlessly with 2100 hours on two MTU (Mercedes engines) with 1150 hp each.

You spend more on boats with ZF transmissions. Don't ask me how I know!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking about making an offer and as soon as I type this I have second thoughts.
I'm less than two weeks into ownership so I'm still learning some of the nuances of the vehicle. I do not work for Alfa Romero or CFA. If I get 20 likes on this thread I will post my opinion of what I like and don't like on the vehicle I purchased. I said 20 because if it's only two it tells me no-one cares about me opinion and it isn't worth my time. I would also invite other owners to add their opinion. If we get 20 likes, I will add every two weeks my update on this vehicle on the things that could be improved. I'm not a blogger, what you read is what you get.
I'll warn ahead of time, if we get 20 likes, what you get here is my opinion. That opinion is based only on my experience and my opinion.
Fair enough?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm thinking about making an offer and as soon as I type this I have second thoughts.
I'm less than two weeks into ownership so I'm still learning some of the nuances of the vehicle. I do not work for Alfa Romero or CFA. If I get 20 likes on this thread I will post my opinion of what I like and don't like on the vehicle I purchased. I said 20 because if it's only two it tells me no-one cares about me opinion and it isn't worth my time. I would also invite other owners to add their opinion. If we get 20 likes, I will add every two weeks my update on this vehicle on the things that could be improved. I'm not a blogger, what you read is what you get.
I'll warn ahead of time, if we get 20 likes, what you get here is my opinion. That opinion is based only on my experience and my opinion.
Fair enough?
Fair enough but are there 20 people active in this forum right now? Maybe be lenient with that number? I for one am interested in your opinion and would love to hear any and all opinions good and bad from any current owner..

My fears are more service and support from the dealerships than the actual car itself..I expect some hiccups and non-perfections in a first year model car, its more how the company and dealerships handle it. Based on the information we are (and are not) being given about Car Play I have some worries in that department..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually paid extra for the paint protection and it's being applied tomorrow. If we get enough interest I will update my opinion on the product and was it worth it.

I'm also looking at changing the exhaust to the Madness Lusso pipes and can write about it after I get it done. The mechanic said it will not disrupt the warrenty if it is after the catalyic converters. More to come if enought interest to warrent the time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fair enough?
I'm always up for opinions!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Shightower,

This something I would have written. I an 56 and this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. My past 40 yo crisis vehicle was a 2000 Z28 convertible with various mods and 375 hp. Basically handled like XXXXX and sounded fast. but no quicker than the Stelvio. My wife is the same....she freaks out driving with me, especially in paddle shifter "D" mode. I have another thread regarding the lack of Stelvios on the road.....10 weeks now and no sightings on the highway in San Francisco Bay Area. I have Macans, F-Pace, X1/3/5's Q5s (blah, blah blah) all pull up and stare. The Macans seem to want to race :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Shightower please make your comments and express your opinion. I had an Alfa Spider in college and have fond memories of it. Today I find people are either older owners of the brand or have never even heard of it here in the US. Being an older gentleman gives you somewhat of a different perspective and it would be interesting to know your opinions. Good or Bad, let us know what you think.
After all knowledge should be shared and this is definitely the place for it. Also keep in mind that a lot of people read this forum but don't make any comments one way or another.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think at this stage 20 would be an optimistic number I don't see more than a bout 10 or 20 active posters right now, mostly seems to be a LOT of guests ( couple hundred at a time). The Guilia forum has around 1500 and the 4c forum around 4k (but it's been around the longest. The stelvio hasn't been on the market in the us very long so it's early days. Also I'm thinking the typical SUV buyer won't be joining the forum, they will come and look around see if any useful info but not become regular members.

BTW, always interested in others opinions.

I think , at least in the US, the weak point for AR is the spotty dealerships, some brilliant, some mediocre pretty much the way it is for Fiat as well.

Fair enough but are there 20 people active in this forum right now? Maybe be lenient with that number? I for one am interested in your opinion and would love to hear any and all opinions good and bad from any current owner..

My fears are more service and support from the dealerships than the actual car itself..I expect some hiccups and non-perfections in a first year model car, its more how the company and dealerships handle it. Based on the information we are (and are not) being given about Car Play I have some worries in that department..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love this thread and my Stelvio too. I am a 59 yr. old female who has owned too many cars. I agree with the consensus that overlooking the quirks isn't too hard since it's such a great car to drive and look at.

Someone asked me yesterday if I had to go overseas for my car.

I look forward to this thread growing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am 60 and have owned BMW X5 and 650i Xdrive, Audi A6, Mercedes E Class, Equus, and Toyota Land Cruiser. All of these were great vehicles. None of them were perfect; just like me! Presently, I have a 124 Fiat Spider and an Alfa Romeo Stelvio (TI). I love both of these Italian cars. In my opinion, nothing drives like an Italian car. Sure, the Stelvio has quirks like any machine, but the drive experience is amazing. It is fun to drive in a parking lot. And, just like my Spider, you don’t have to go fast to have fun. I have not had any issues with either of these Italian autos as of yet. I have about 2K miles on the Fiat and less than 500 on the Stelvio. The only feature I am missing is not being able to have it read texts back to me while I am driving. It is supposed to do that, but no one has been able to tell me how to fix it. My dealer says it is not working due to Apple’s software or Alfa’s. Nevertheless, this car is a joy to ride and it puts a smile on my face each time I drive it. Just like my 124 Spider.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
The Macans seem to want to race :)
haha, I had an older gentleman pull up next to me 2 nights ago in his Macan and was eyeing my Stelvio all over with obvious lust, if I had been alone in the car I might have tried to see who was faster :devil

·
Registered
354 Posts
There are certainly things that could be helpful in all comments - but the only thing I have to say after my first week of being in my very own new Alfa Romeo (my GTV6 left me in 1999, with a "girlfriend" and never came back, shades of John Prine...) is...

... Grazie Mille, Alfa!

Reactions: zvezdah1

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stelvio is the best car I have ever had it is a fantastic drive. Cancelled a Macan to buy the Stelvio so pleased I did.
I had 18 months of problems with two Fpaces where there was never a week went by when something didn't work.

Its a pleasure to have a car that works so bloody well 2,000 miles no issues

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fair enough?
I'll give you a like, but 20 likes is a bit steep seeing how there are only 29 registered users on this forum!
How about make it 10? :devil

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
My company manufactures in the USA and we advertise this differentiation; up until now I would not own anything other than Jeep so this is my first 'non-American' vehicle. Wife was born in Germany, an Army brat with an affinity for European cars so we are thrilled to stay in the FCA family (and you can actually purchase FCA stock) yet go 'Italian'. That said, there is no other vehicle that meets our needs this well and we are both thrilled at this point. I am getting almost 2X mileage than my previous Jeep. Plenty of comfort and room for our needs + superb ride, handling, and styling. With all of life being a compromise, there are very very few nits to pick and the pleasure we are having makes it a home run for us.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I tried to get my wife to look at the Macan, but she said Porsche was a brand too "snooty" for her. Given that I see Macan's everywhere, I am glad she went for our Stelvio order (should arrive any day).
Totally agree with her. Shopping for a luxury brand in the area I live is completely snooty, most of them.
I hate that. I am more rather have a Patagonia backpack than a Fendi bag type. We would rather be at a crazy music festival than a wine festival -that's just us - no judgements on anyone else.

We are a very young acting and certainly don't look like we have money most of the time LOL so I get it, but I hate going in those places. BUT I like luxury cars with nice interiors and great looks so I have to :smile

I was considering MB GLC (boring....yawn) and just walking in there I wanted to run right out. Loosen that tie, Relax...I wanted to say...
The Audi dealer by me is little more relaxed..

You have to think of who they are catering to and most want to be treated that way so I understand..its not a Chevy LOL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts