Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why my other thread was closed. I mentioned I'd report back in two week but here is my update for anyone still interested.

So had an appoint for service for what I thought was wrong with the transmission and I’m shocked to say the least that the behavior I’ve described is “normal” according to service foreman. Test drove another brand new 2022 Stelvio Veloce and immediately found it to be the same in feel and driving characteristics as my 2022. Don’t know what more to say other than, one of the main, if not only reasons I bought the 2018 was how engaging it felt when my wife and I first drove it. We’re long time BMW (only) owners and felt the only thing similar (in some cases better) to the sporty driving characteristics of a BMW was an Alfa.

However, the more we drive our 2022, the more we dislike it. Throttle response and managing acceleration is awful. It’s numb. Push the pedal a quarter input and keep it there the same amount and the car does this thing…it accelerates, then dips before changing gears, changes, dips again, and then accelerates. this repeats with every gear. The torque is all over the map with on again, off again dips and curves despite the same throttle input. Its awful. Im constantly having to figure out what the car is doing and trying to attempt to correct it with more input, then less input and a constant modulation of the pedal. The car, your foot and the transmission are almost never in sync. I really wanted to love this car, I did love this car and now not so much now. There is a lot still to like and I’m sure others won’t mind the tranny as much but to me it makes a car I loved, a car I don’t care to drive much now.

Apparently, all of it is by design! I thought it was maybe me given the lack of response with similar complaints here but the service foreman confirmed that things are in fact different with the trans on the newer models. “Geared” to less sporty driving and more towards smoother and more efficient driving.

So in my own humble opinion I hate what Alfa has done here. Granted its seems not many people care and many on here are not complaining about it so Alfa won’t lose any sleep by me but I’m also going to doubt I’m alone. If this direction works out for Alfa and their bottom line, great but i'd be more worried. It may be my last Alfa in that case, unfortunately. Who knows, in a soon to be all EV world all of this doesn’t matter but Alfa in my opinion seized an opportunity and now seems to have lost a golden chance to hold on to it.

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
358 Posts
Not sure why my other thread was closed. I mentioned I'd report back in two week but here is my update for anyone still interested.

So had an appoint for service for what I thought was wrong with the transmission and I’m shocked to say the least that the behavior I’ve described is “normal” according to service foreman. Test drove another brand new 2022 Stelvio Veloce and immediately found it to be the same in feel and driving characteristics as my 2022. Don’t know what more to say other than, one of the main, if not only reasons I bought the 2018 was how engaging it felt when my wife and I first drove it. We’re long time BMW (only) owners and felt the only thing similar (in some cases better) to the sporty driving characteristics of a BMW was an Alfa.

However, the more we drive our 2022, the more we dislike it. Throttle response and managing acceleration is awful. It’s numb. Push the pedal a quarter input and keep it there the same amount and the car does this thing…it accelerates, then dips before changing gears, changes, dips again, and then accelerates. this repeats with every gear. The torque is all over the map with on again, off again dips and curves despite the same throttle input. Its awful. Im constantly having to figure out what the car is doing and trying to attempt to correct it with more input, then less input and a constant modulation of the pedal. The car, your foot and the transmission are almost never in sync. I really wanted to love this car, I did love this car and now not so much now. There is a lot still to like and I’m sure others won’t mind the tranny as much but to me it makes a car I loved, a car I don’t care to drive much now.

Apparently, all of it is by design! I thought it was maybe me given the lack of response with similar complaints here but the service foreman confirmed that things are in fact different with the trans on the newer models. “Geared” to less sporty driving and more towards smoother and more efficient driving.

So in my own humble opinion I hate what Alfa has done here. Granted its seems not many people care and many on here are not complaining about it so Alfa won’t lose any sleep by me but I’m also going to doubt I’m alone. If this direction works out for Alfa and their bottom line, great but i'd be more worried. It may be my last Alfa in that case, unfortunately. Who knows, in a soon to be all EV world all of this doesn’t matter but Alfa in my opinion seized an opportunity and now seems to have lost a golden chance to hold on to it.
I'm curious,are you driving in N or D? I haven't noticed anything like you're describing in my '22 Veloce, although admittedly, I haven't driven an '18 since the original ride and drive so I don't have a fresh comparison.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Interesting that you have identified this as an issue with your experience. Drive the door off and see if it improves. When I drive newer models I didn’t detect a difference but then Those we’re loaners and I wasn’t particularly paying attention. If it is an issue I am glad I still have my march 2017 early build MY 2918 Ti.

BTW there is a great 3.0 Milano Verde for sale on the AlfaBB. Not mine. And a black 164 on BaT. These are spiritual predecessors to the Stelvio if anybody is looking.

·
Registered
STELVIO VELOCE 2.2 TD
8 Posts

Not sure if this helps but my 2020 Veloce had awful gear changes and wasnt smooth at all so I went for a test drive with the service manager at Beechdale in Derby. He agreed it wasnt right. It was booked in and had a full analysis and then the software was updated. This fixed it and it has been a pleasure to drive since.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Internal changes but very few mechanical changes were needed. Sounds like the driver/TCU interface needs to be reprogrammed....mostly the driver and I bet you are being gentle due to gas prices, correct?? You bought, gas prices spiked, running premium, correct?, and you have ben driving in a frugal manner. So tranny thinks you want to upshift all the time.....Post #4 is the solution after a TCU factory reset. It is no different than a child with lousy parents.
My 2018 and now Quad have the best Tranny programming i have ever experienced and that is in comparaison to a fabulous RR and a ZF6 equipped GTS....High praise indeed

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
65 Posts
I wonder if a GoPedal would help things?

Your other thread got closed due to it being hijacked by the local forum troll. Thanks for coming back and updating us. (y)

Reactions: Peter A

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious,are you driving in N or D? I haven't noticed anything like you're describing in my '22 Veloce, although admittedly, I haven't driven an '18 since the original ride and drive so I don't have a fresh comparison.
I'm driving in N mode mostly. Going to D is better but most of the described characteristics of the tranny are there. In A mode...forget about it...it's almost not drivable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"hate" is a strong word
Well...i hate the transmission which is making me very much dislike its driving feel. Makes me not want to dive it as much anymore. There is still lots to like, but going from super crisp, sharp, responsive tranny, with always feeling like it's at your beckoning call, to feeling numb, disconnected. laggy, unpredictable and half asleep makes me hate it's driving characteristics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if a GoPedal would help things?

Your other thread got closed due to it being hijacked by the local forum troll. Thanks for coming back and updating us. (y)
Thanks Malibu. Haven't heard of that before. Would be interested in reviews if anyone else has done that to a Stelvio before. I don't really want to do something so dramatic right now but worth looking into if I want to stop complaining :)

I know someone who got a 2022 Stelvio might try to drive that too but everything is telling me now this is (the new) "normal".

·
Registered
418 Posts
I truly cannot believe that something isn't wrong with your car. These transmissions are the best in the business (the Quad uses them, BMWs use them, etc.) so for you to call it "numb, disconnected, laggy, unpredictable, and half asleep" tells me something is amiss.

You're sure the dealer updated all of the software? Where do you live? Maybe there's a forum member who can let you ride in theirs and vice-versa to compare...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I truly cannot believe that something isn't wrong with your car. These transmissions are the best in the business (the Quad uses them, BMWs use them, etc.) so for you to call it "numb, disconnected, laggy, unpredictable, and half asleep" tells me something is amiss.

You're sure the dealer updated all of the software? Where do you live? Maybe there's a forum member who can let you ride in theirs and vice-versa to compare...
Dealer was quick to dismiss my claims as normal. After making it clear my issue isn't turbo lag since that was their immediate response, they argued that changes has been made that soften up the transmission in newer models. The focus has been more on refinement rather than excitement.

Drove another 2022 with them and immediately noticed the same "issues". So I can only guess at this point its me and everyone else is just okay with it or aren't expecting anything different I suppose. All I know is there is a glaring difference between the two transmissions and perhaps just to get rid of me dealer is confirming it. The fact that the other 2022 felt the same left me with little ground to agree. Apparently its the way it is now and not many drivers are complaining so either you like it or you don't.

Side note: I've also noticed that the car, from what I can tell, restricts full power to the wheels in some circumstances. It's almost as if the transmission is not FULLY engaged yet but the car is still accelerating. I haven' t pinned it down yet (don't drive it every day) but there are times when it pulls harder than others (and no, its not when traction control is engaging). Still don't think its a transmission "problem" but rather just how the ZF is programed to work in the Stelvio.

You can almost reproduce this affect right as the car starts after turning on from the start/stop system. If you immediately go heavy on the pedal, it does this thing as first gear is engaging where it feels like the transmission is restricting full power. Don't want to go off topic but I've been noticing this too. I don't think this has anything to do with why I started this thread. Just sharing and pointing it out.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
65 Posts
I wonder if it's the transmission programming, the Q4 AWD system, or the engine management programming that's different. I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're not happy overall. Where are you located? Maybe someone close by has a GoPedal (or similar product) that you can test before purchasing. They're plug and play. I have one I bought from another member but haven't had the chance to install it yet.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
The programming for how the tranny shifts has changed. It's more "refined"now , upshifts
faster, downshifts slower. Not a day and night difference but it changed. Most people prefer the new algorithms, they are alot more generic and behaves like other "luxury/sport SUVs" now.

Drive it hard, every time it downshifts or does anything you don't like, nail the gas like it's a disobedient child and you are a "spare the rod spoil the child" zealot. Literally beat the transmission for doing the wrong thing, eventually it should learn. (By beat I mean slam the gas, maybe slam it 2-3 times if it doesn't respond fast enough...beat it)

You think the changes to the Stelvio are a bit much?

Got a chance to drive a Grecale at an event. My dear Lord they turned the Giorgio platform into luxo-barge. More like a Lexus than any Alfa. I thought the Grand Cherokee drove better..and had better structural rigidity. Not sure how they stretched the platform different then Jeep but....it isn't good.

Like to apologize for getting angry and leaving, I won't be arguing anymore even if it means ignoring blatantly bad information.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im in New Jersey and more eager now to possibly test drive another forum member’s 2022 Stelvio.

What Alfa has sone here is borderline unacceptable. The fact that not enough are complaining doesnt help things and only serves to possibly make things worse if Alfa thinks people are okay with transmission’s behavior.

Quick story. My brother takes the Stelvio for an ice cream run. He is not a “car guy” at all. Gets back and unprompted or asked he says the car is slow. Takes too long to react. This coming from someone who doesnt really look for these things.

Going from what thetransmission felt like in the 2018 to the 2022 is not acceptable Alfa. My wife who can care less even pointed it out.

Im really almost starting to feel duped. I bought the same car but they behave completely different. Its no longer the same car.

Im almost convinced Alfa is restricting power.The more time behind the wheel the more I see it. This is not as fast as my 2018 was. On rare occasion i get a glimpse of the power ive come to expect but every other time is not fully there. Transmission programming is bad and downright awful in comparison to what it was.

I need help in addressing this as im growing increasingly frustrated. Dealer says its as expected, test drove a different 2022 and it drives the same.

Driven it hard, still no change.

Whats my next course of action if this is in fact “normal” for a 2022? This is not the same Stelvio i bought in 2018.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts