Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leased a 2018 Stelvio and absolutely loved the car. So much that I decided to purchase the car at the end of the lease. It had given us absolutely no issues until now.
Here is what the past month have included...
May 21th Mileage 43101 We started to get a check engine light and electronic throttle control message. Car suddenly lost power on the highway and was towed to Alfa Romeo of Boston. They determined the issue to be a radiator issue. They replaced it without an issue as it was under warranty. Picked up car on May 25th.
May 27th Mileage 43199 Again check engine light came on with electronic throttle control message. Again started to lose power but was able to drive to Alfa Romeo of Boston. They found their was an issue with the turbo charge waste gate assembly worn and not fully closing, creating under boost condition. They replaced turbo charger and we got the car back on June 3rd.
We were away for a week June 5-12. Car sat in our driveway.
June 22 Mileage 44145 Started to see Passenger side running light issue illuminated. Notice condensation inside the entire passenger side light. Also due to recent rain noted that the driver side windshield washer fluid was not working. Returned to Alfa Romeo Boston which determined that the light was not under warranty due to impact damage.
This is where the disappointment starts. We absolutely had not been in an accident during this time but they somehow have pictures of the bumper hanging which voided our warranty. We did ask if they removed the bumper to replace the radiator and they had. They also stated that the left washer hose had been broken and previously taped. Again nothing that we did or would have even known how to fix.
We have now spoken to FCA Customer Service who have been very slow to return calls even though they have "tasks" to return our calls. Escalated to a supervisor after a week and they determined that they would pay half of the $1900 estimate.
It now is our word agains theirs regarding who caused the damage to the bumper and the washer fluid line. I know that we did not cause either of these issues. They also said that someone could have caused this issue if they backed into our car at 1 mph. That is in my opinion a pretty poor bumper and one that they removed a few weeks prior.
At this point it is not as much the cost but the fact that they are not honoring their warranty for an issue caused by either an incompetent bumper or an Alfa Romeo of Boston mechanic.
Has anyone had any similar experiences either with this dealership or a 2018 Stelvio? Thoughts about any additional recourse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, same here. I love my 2018 Stelvio but I’m going through hell right now! I took it in to Jim Ellis Alfa in Atlanta, because the turbo oil line was leaking and it was also time for my 30k maintenance service. First I was the 83 cars in line, so it took over a week to get to my car, order parts, took another week. They did all the service and found out the car still leaks! Order parts again, guess what another week before they can work on it, I didn’t get a loaner car or anything, they had nothing available, I’ve been paying for rental car this whole time out of my pocket!!!
I’m so frustrated and done with Alfa… time to go shop for another brand…

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Dealer screw ups. In court, they would be on shaky ground as NOTHING was wrong before the first repair....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stories like these happen with all brands. By comparison Alfa has fewer and they are less severe. Go look at the forums.
What forums? I've been on the Mazda forums for years and nothing like this comes up unless Mazda addresses it as a recall issue (Certain years had an incorrect part installed in the transmission or something and Mazda did some good will repairs/replacements past warranty, and fixed the others). I honestly cannot recall anything like this as common AT ALL. Failures like these are exceedingly rare. We have not had a single turbo or engine failure in a CX5 or CX9 on the forums since they came out in 2015 for the 2016 YM. Same for those transmissions in the new ones. This is just astounding, honestly, that a modern vehicle would have these issues and someone think it "be normal or not severe".

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

Tranny failure

An overall collection of NHTSA complaints filed against the 2018 Mazda CX5, which is much better then most companies. Not many for the turbo though...stalling whiling driving, warped head/engine blocks, one case of spontaneous combustion...all arguably more severe than a failed turbo, bad as that may be.

The Stelvio though...nothing.

All manufacturers have issues with turbo failure in a small percentage of thier engines...or somec atastrophic failure that makes the vehicle undrivable. All. That doesn't make it OK...just something that is.

This problem is severe, however it is not as severe as problems many other manufacturers face, including Mazda.

Sorry this happened to you, regardless the issue is not unique to Alfa. It is an issue with small turbo 4cylinder engines going back to the invention, and why many people, myself included make a big deal about warm up and cool down procedures.

Here is it being discussed on a Mazda forum. Turbo : Warm-up & cool-down procedures

Additionally, during periods of hot weather...it is a good idea not to drive the car hard, wait till the sun is down and temps get below 100degrees f. Specifically to reduce chance of turbo failure of some sort...in any turbo engined vehicle. Not saying that is what happened here, just making note of a standard procedure recommended for reliability in small turbo engines. Because they can have issues.

Again sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah...a diesel. Half a decade ago...the diesel sucks. Not the same as the gas engines.
Again...
Tranny failure

Yes, this was the known transmission issue I spoke to above...flawed part, mazda owned the failure.
An overall collection of NHTSA complaints filed against the 2018 Mazda CX5, which is much better then most companies. Not many for the turbo though...stalling whiling driving, warped head/engine blocks, one case of spontaneous combustion...all arguably more severe than a failed turbo, bad as that may be.

The Stelvio though...nothing.
Yeah my dude, when you sell as many CX5's in 2 months as Stelvios have been sold their ENTIRE US production run in America...
All manufacturers have issues with turbo failure in a small percentage of thier engines...or somec atastrophic failure that makes the vehicle undrivable. All. That doesn't make it OK...just something that is.
You still have not found a 2.5L gas Mazda CX5/CX9 with a turbo failure. One the internet. Imagine that, you literally cannot find a failure of this component posted about even though it's been in production for over half a decade...wild, eh?
This problem is severe, however it is not as severe as problems many other manufacturers face, including Mazda.
lol. Just no.
Sorry this happened to you, regardless the issue is not unique to Alfa. It is an issue with small turbo 4cylinder engines going back to the invention, and why many people, myself included make a big deal about warm up and cool down procedures.
No it's not. Mazda has no issues with their small gas burner turbo 4's in the SkyActiv platform. You couldn't find a single one, or you chose not to link it?

Here is it being discussed on a Mazda forum. Turbo : Warm-up & cool-down procedures
Oh wow, a link 15 years old...they use zero of the same components in their 2.5T engines/turbos now, lol!

Additionally, during periods of hot weather...it is a good idea not to drive the car hard, wait till the sun is down and temps get below 100degrees f. Specifically to reduce chance of turbo failure of some sort...in any turbo engined vehicle. Not saying that is what happened here, just making note of a standard procedure recommended for reliability in small turbo engines. Because they can have issues.

Again sorry this happened to you.
You have to link stuff 15 years old to prove that other car companies are having issues my dude? Look, I highly doubt any of these problems are normal for Alfa, if they ARE, then swerve HARD. That's trash issues.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

No, those just came up first and I don't really care enough to pay attention to the year. It doesn't matter, pick a year at random and you'll find catastrophic engine issues that weren't covered by recall. Split all the hairs you want won't change what is.

Notice the NHTSA complaints page posted above is for 2018 Mazda CX-5 specifically, whereas the Alfa page is for all years. Why? Alfa has never had an official complaint filed against it, where-as Mazda has them every year.

Swerve indeed.

Again sorry this happened to you. Same chance it could'a happened on a Mazda though..or any other brand. Better chance it won't though, even on another Alfa.
Because it isn't very common....on any brand.

·
Registered
166 Posts

No, those just came up first and I don't really care enough to pay attention to the year. It doesn't matter, pick a year at random and you'll find catastrophic engine issues that weren't covered by recall. Split all the hairs you want won't change what is.

Notice the NHTSA complaints page posted above is for 2018 Mazda CX-5 specifically, whereas the Alfa page is for all years. Why? Alfa has never had an official complaint filed against it, where-as Mazda has them every year.

Swerve indeed.

Again sorry this happened to you. Same chance it could'a happened on a Mazda though..or any other brand. Better chance it won't though, even on another Alfa.
Because it isn't very common....on any brand.
You're right. Alfa is just as reliable as Mazda, Lexus, and Toyota. Consumer Reports, JD Power, their owners, and KBB just hate them because they don't pay them off or something.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Alfa owners, in general, love their cars, passionately, which is also why when they have problems with the cars they tend to make a bigger deal out it then with other vehicles. Acting like it's every Alfa, not what it actually is..thier Alfa. With a Toyota or a Mazda..no one actually cares enough, yeah the cars are nice but nothing special, the automotive equivalent of getting your taxes done at H&R Block. The job gets done but that's about it, the person who did is forgettable at best.

To paraphrase the late, great Eric (Easy-E) Wright...when other cars break down, people just say oh brother, throw it in the gutter and go buy another. Cause few people actually give a crap about a Toyota..but with an Alfa doing that hurts, cause people love them and have emotion for them.

Are they perfect? No.

Neither are any other brands...none.

Again sorry this happened to you, however it doesn't happen to every Alfa or even most. It does happen to some though, like it happens to a small percentage cars from every brand...and is why EVERY brand, when discussing small turbo charged engines highly recommends a warm-up and cool-down period when driving the vehicle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been on the 24/7 mazda forum since 2013, and I haven't heard issues with transmissions or turbos. At least not in the US.
This forum reminds me of when I owned a Jeep. They just cannot accept that they aren't as reliable as many other options, and it's like a presidential election result each time you bring up owner surveys, dealership warranty surveys, etc. "Collusion!" "Fraud!" "They paid them off!". They seem bent on trying to convince you that the only reliable source for how a reliable a vehicle is, seems to be half a dozen frequent posting hype beasts on said forum, lol! Frankly, it's trite.

It's okay to acknowledge that your vehicle choice isn't very reliable in comparison. You bought it for your own reasons. Reliability was not one of the primary ones---and that's okay. If you cannot acknowledge that this is okay...then maybe we have uncovered a glaring bias. Would the owner of an 80's Ferrari tell you it's reliable? Hell no! Would they care? Hell no! But they wouldn't sit around trying to convince themselves it were so, lol!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Certainly isn't trite to have a problem with your individual vehicle then conflate it to be a problem with all of them. Nah....the problem is with those horrible people who don't have problems with their car...which is most owners, of every brand. Including Alfa.

Know why you don't see alot of problems with turbos on Mazdas? Untill recently, Mazda didn't sell many cars with turbos. Hard to have something fail that isn't there. Instead you see warped heads and other issues that happen on normally aspirated engines...maybe you think that doesn't count because it isn't a turbo issue. Ok, I think it does because an engine that doesn't run...is an engine that doesn't run...which is a problem...in any car.

Regardless....even though Mazda has only had a mass-produced turbo engine available in the majority of thier vehicles for about a year, there are people with problems...

Here's a video from a guy with a 3 day old 2021 turbo that isn't super happy. Granted it isn't a component failure....I doubt if an Alfa owner were getting 180 miles out of a full gas tank it would be considered nothing....

Oh..but when Mazda or Toyota have a problem there is a recall and they fix it!!! Ok, Alfa does the same thing when there is a traceable defect on enough vehicles affected to warrant a recall. Which is less then 10 cars given the latest one. That Alfa has not had to issue any recalls related to the engine or transmission or anything that effects the drivability of the car, well obviously that means Alfa is inferior to manufacturers that do have those recalls, not as reliable. Yeah..that's it..cause surveys...and reasons !!!!!! The more recalls the better!!!!! (Unless it's Alfa of course. A recall on a Mazda for problems with engine block casting, or loose caliper bolts, or emergency braking systems that activate for no reason -all current recalls on new Mazdas- those show how great Mazda is, but a recall on an Alfa for a cooling hose or water intrusion shows how horrible Alfa is..cause.... Japanese vs Italian?)

Nothing is perfect. Not Alfa, not Mazda, not anything. They all have catastrophic failures and just generally annoying/inconvenient problems in a small percentage of new vehicles, which is why warranties are mandated by the federal government, they are not just a thing the manufacturer gives out of the kindness of thier heart.

Watched this episode of King of the Hill today made me crack up, hope it can give others a laugh too. It's how we all feel when a car we love breaks down...

Alfa's aren't perfect, neither is anything else and the reliability stats between the most reliable car brand and the least, in any other field of statistics is small enough to be considered a sampling error. The majority of cars from any manufacturer whether Lexus, Jeep, Alfa, Tata, or Geely are reliable..the minority aren't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too had the same issue with electronic throttle and start stop. I have a 2018, leased it and then purchased because I loved it so much. I moved from Florida to Boise, ID in March and last year I checked and found out there was an Alfa Romeo dealership in Boise but six months later, when this issue came up, I found out they moved out of that dealership. I am not sure why, something about a dispute between the dealer and Alfa Romeo. Now the closest dealer to have the Stelvio serviced is six hours drive to Portland, one way. Eventually they had the car picked up and sent to the Portland dealer. I got the car back about a month later, it sat in the dealer's parking lot for three weeks, an issue with having Alfa Romeo setting up a pick up. Now, if anything else goes wrong I will have to have them pick the car up and probably wait a month again for return of the vehicle. BTW, it has been a month and have not received the reimbursement check for the rental car I needed to get.

45 Posts
This forum reminds me of when I owned a Jeep. They just cannot accept that they aren't as reliable as many other options, and it's like a presidential election result each time you bring up owner surveys, dealership warranty surveys, etc. "Collusion!" "Fraud!" "They paid them off!". They seem bent on trying to convince you that the only reliable source for how a reliable a vehicle is, seems to be half a dozen frequent posting hype beasts on said forum, lol! Frankly, it's trite.

It's okay to acknowledge that your vehicle choice isn't very reliable in comparison. You bought it for your own reasons. Reliability was not one of the primary ones---and that's okay. If you cannot acknowledge that this is okay...then maybe we have uncovered a glaring bias. Would the owner of an 80's Ferrari tell you it's reliable? Hell no! Would they care? Hell no! But they wouldn't sit around trying to convince themselves it were so, lol!
You remind me of those lefties that swore Trump colluded with Russia, then were proven wrong. Then swear he had an illegal phone conversation with Ukrain worthy of impeachment, all while denying the Biden laptop with actual proof, on and on..., oh and forget all the testimony after the election by countless of election workers with proof that the left flooded key polling stations with ballots with zero chains of custory (something that's now being audited - stay tuned. AZ already has the proof in hand, GA is close behind and PA on the way). I guess we'll all know eventually who the consipircy theorists were, although 50% of those that believe the lies are corrupt, and the other 50% are just naive.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You remind me of those lefties that swore Trump colluded with Russia, then were proven wrong. Then swear he had an illegal phone conversation with Ukrain worthy of impeachment, all while denying the Biden laptop with actual proof, on and on..., oh and forget all the testimony after the election by countless of election workers with proof that the left flooded key polling stations with ballots with zero chains of custory (something that's now being audited - stay tuned. AZ already has the proof in hand, GA is close behind and PA on the way). I guess we'll all know eventually who the consipircy theorists were, although 50% of those that believe the lies are corrupt, and the other 50% are just naive.
I mean, a good political argument can burn some time...but a full month while Alfa fixes it again? That said, I dont care who the POTUS is, functionally it's no different to me and all of the candidates suck election after election.

·
Registered
Rosso Comp QV
48 Posts
Can't we keep USA politics out of an automobile forum? I don't need a Stelvio forum to remind me (as comical as it is) that some people still believe the election was stolen because they were told months before it started the only way their candidate would lose is if the election was rigged. If there was wide spread voter fraud, they would have found it months ago!

45 Posts
Can't we keep USA politics out of an automobile forum? I don't need a Stelvio forum to remind me (as comical as it is) that some people still believe the election was stolen because they were told months before it started the only way their candidate would lose is if the election was rigged. If there was wide spread voter fraud, they would have found it months ago!
If you want to keep politics out of the forum, don't ask for keeping it out of the forum, then throwing a grenade of a dumb assertion based on left wing talking points. Just request we keep it out, and end with that. But since you threw the grenade, I must respond. There are audits currently underway, which will reveal outcomes for all of us to see. Making up your mind until said audits conclude is simply putting your head in the sand and hoping it all goes away. That's just a fact.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts