Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my oil changed and now after 1000 miles I am down 1/4. Now normally I would just add oil but wanted to know if anybody goes back to the dealer to top up and if so is it something the dealer will do?

·
Registered
321 Posts
general remark: If you DO top up yourself, be extremely carefull not to put in too much. as you're only a quarter down, I would start with no more than 150 ml or so.....
If it's only a quarter down, you do not really need to add oil.
Also note the gauge is not immediate, it can take quite some time, under the right conditions, to update.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some engine oil burn is common on cars, not sure if 1/4 per 1k is or not, so dont know if they would top it off for you for free. I persoanlly would just top it off myself vs wasting time going to dealer and sitting around for them to do something that takes 2 minutes. Unless of course youre not comfortable with doing that, then by all means. But like @jwq2 said just go slow and check, dont over fill.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When you say, down 1/4,are you still between the two marks?
If so, you are within normal range. No need to top off

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know it is just aggravating that I don’t even have the oil readily available to me since I did not pick up any at the dealership yet. I have no issue addingetc just not happy that it was dead on from the last oil change

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was 40 for the oil change I would not even mention it. Really wondering if anybody ever asks for a dealer to to off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Modern engines burn almost no oil. I be suprised if you burned a quart in 5,000 miles. I am at 30k now, and find it might burn at most 1/2 quart in 5000. I am at 7,000 miles on the current oil and the digital gauge shows perhaps 1/8 down.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Modern engines burn almost no oil. I be suprised if you burned a quart in 5,000 miles. I am at 30k now, and find it might burn at most 1/2 quart in 5000. I am at 7,000 miles on the current oil and the digital gauge shows perhaps 1/8 down.
How many miles do you drive before you get oil change. Someone was recommending me that if I own the car and plan to keep it for long time then do not wait until 10K miles between the oil changes, but do it at 5K miles. What do other ppl who have long miles on their stelvios are doing?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Honda Odyssey that I bought new in 2009. Change at 7500 miles oil and filter. I have 290k on it and I would drive it across country. I think the biggest thing is ALWAYS change the oil and filter regularly. I think it also depends on driving habits. My brother swears by 3k changes for his 16yo 84k Tahoe. What I really don’t like about not having a dipstick is I can’t check the color of the oil

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Honda Odyssey that I bought new in 2009. Change at 7500 miles oil and filter. I have 290k on it and I would drive it across country. I think the biggest thing is ALWAYS change the oil and filter regularly. I think it also depends on driving habits. My brother swears by 3k changes for his 16yo 84k Tahoe. What I really don’t like about not having a dipstick is I can’t check the color of the oil
Whats the mileage ppl in this community going between oil changes for STELVIOS ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had my first oil change at 7500 and it was hard for me to wait that long.. much like Hoosbeachs brother I’ve always been an every 3k believer. Had the oil checked at the 10,000 mile checkup and tthe gauge showed 3/4 of the way between the marks.
After driving the car hard for 1300 miles in 3 days .. the next morning on starting the oil warning came on and the gauge showed below the left mark .. it turned out to be a quart low. Two different service managers one at the Alfa dealer and the other a Ferrari dealer told me it is normal for the 4 banger with a turbo to “consume” oil when driven hard for and extended period. By hard were talkin steady 85-90 mph with the occasional sprint up to 125 or so for a solid 6 to 7 hours a day. They said the turbo gets really hot and burns some oil..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an oil change at 22K and just had the oil warning icon show up at 26K. The dealer topped it off with a reported 1/2 quart of oil. The explanation was that they will burn oil with "Normal driving" at a quart every few thousand miles. When both my husband and I made a skeptical face, the service writer insisted that this is normal. The car has not had any long trips since the oil change, no high speed driving over 70 mph and no driving in hot weather, (Northern Washington State). Without having a dip stick to check, I can't see what the condition of the oil is currently. The oil low icon will not turn off with just the addition of extra oil, according to dealer. You have to have the dealer reset the computer. They did not charge to top off the oil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oil over full light will turn off if oil taken out,.
I don't see why low oil light would not turn off if filled properly.

45 Posts
Had my oil changed and now after 1000 miles I am down 1/4. Now normally I would just add oil but wanted to know if anybody goes back to the dealer to top up and if so is it something the dealer will do?
Typical for an Alfa engine. Just take it in and have them add some oil on the house. Nothing to worry about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts